Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w-30: VW 505.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me about the Castrol SLX Professional OE oil that the VW dealerships are now using? It is a 5w-30 oil and is VW 505.01 certified.

There are cam-wear issues in the 2.0T on the high-pressure fuel pump cam lobe. From what I understand, VW created the 505.01 standard to curb camshaft wear in the TDI-PD engines.

This begs the question... Will this new oil reduce wear of the camshaft lobe in the 2.0T? Are there any used oil analysis showing reduced iron levels after running this oil?

FWIW, I searched and couldn't find much. Thanks for responses... I'm new to BITOG and learning a lot!

I asked Castrol about it, but wouldn't give me any details:

My Inquiry to Castrol (apologize in advance if I didn't get the jargon quite right):

I am looking for product data for this oil: Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w-30 (VW 505.01)

Can you provide an elemental analysis of this oil (quantities of iron, molybdenum, etc) as well as information about the base stock (Group III, IV)?

Castrol Response:

Thank you for contacting Castrol,

Unfortunately this is a branded product only available through Volkswagen. For the product information you are seeking please contact Volkswagen directly.

Castrol Consumer Relations

*shrugs* I figured it was worth a shot.

The VW 505.01 is an old approval (at least for the european market) and the Castrol SLX Professional line has just lunched. None of these oils meet such an old approval.
Try the castrol UK site and you will see it. web page
type professional and pick TDS on the right.

The TDS for that specific oil is not listed on Castrol's UK site, but it's no surprise since this oils says "Made in USA" on the back label. I'm guessing it's some special concoction just for the NA market. Although it's strange since if it was designed to reduce the cam-lobe wear problem, wouldn't it be needed in Europe as well? Or does this wear problem somehow only affect the engines in North America (due to different gas quality maybe?)?

I think its been decided to be made in the USA in relation to the exchange rate of late. I had a UOA of my current Castrol TXT 505.01 in my 05 passat tdi and will be changing over to the Castrol SLX Professional OE. Oil testing will be at 5k. If the test works out well, I will stick with it, and if not I will be looking for something better. It has to be 505.01 certified as I am still under warranty.

Old thread, but I was looking for something on the Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30 that my Audi dealer uses for the B6/B7 Audi S4 4.2L motors.

I ran a VOA and UOA...details below from another board I posted this info on.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running some lab tests on the OE oil that the local dealers use on the S4, to determine if 10000 miles is a safe oil change interval. The oil is the "Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30" oil that is VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01 certified.

I first ran a VOA on the fresh oil right out the bottle....

052268-VOA-Castrol-SLX-Professional-OE-Report-web.png

and then the first UOA after only 3608 miles. Not surprisingly, the UOA came out quite well, although the TBN does not look to me as if though it is going to last a full 10000 miles, and Blackstone also suggest a check at 7K miles.

055876-UOA-Castrol-SLX-Professional-OE-Report-web.png

BMW uses this oil (strangely lacks the BMW LL04 rating but has MB 229.51) for the diesels in the U.S.

I was going to buy it for my intermediate change but it was more expensive then M1 ESP.

Is this the same oil BMW sells as BMW Synthetic 5w30? TBN looks kind of weak in this VOA, especially if it is the BMW stuff which they want you to run upwards of 15k.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
BMW uses this oil (strangely lacks the BMW LL04 rating but has MB 229.51) for the diesels in the U.S.

I was going to buy it for my intermediate change but it was more expensive then M1 ESP.

How much are you paying for the M1 ESP? I'm paying $7.00 - $7.15/quart for the SLX and Autozone has the M1 ESP at $7.99 here (when they have it) The local Wallyworld does not stock the ESP.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Is this the same oil BMW sells as BMW Synthetic 5w30? TBN looks kind of weak in this VOA, especially if it is the BMW stuff which they want you to run upwards of 15k.

Nope..It's a Castrol bottle not to be confused with the BMW branded oil. BMW uses this oil for the diesels due to the introduction of ULSD and consequently they don't have to have as high a TBN as the gassers. These LOW SAPS oils must be ACEA C2/C3. I plan on 10k mile/1yr OCI with this oil.

castrolslxfront.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldBaldy
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

How much are you paying for the M1 ESP? I'm paying $7.00 - $7.15/quart for the SLX and Autozone has the M1 ESP at $7.99 here (when they have it) The local Wallyworld does not stock the ESP.

The SLX and my dealership was ~$9 and I paid $7.99 for the M1 ESP. I didn't think of trying a VW/Audi dealership however.

Originally Posted By: Jorge
I don't recall the Castrol SLX Pro OE ever being recommended for OCIs longer than 7,500 miles.

BMW dealerships in the United States use this oil for the diesels and from the few owners I've spoken to they are going approximately 10,000 miles between changes.

505.01 oils are interesting. First they are designed to shear early, then regain their viscosity with soot accumulation.

505.01 oils for PD injectors, interestingly enough, 505.01 is not the sure solution for PD camshaft wear, as plenty of failures have occured. There is a large HDEO camp for PD engines.

Originally Posted By: Jorge
I don't recall the Castrol SLX Pro OE ever being recommended for OCIs longer than 7,500 miles.

The OE is a 502/505.ox oil, so "recommended" (by Audi) for the standard Audi 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back