BMW Z4 Lifetime Transmission+Differential Fluid Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I need your opinions on transmission and differential fluids.

I have an automatic transmission BMW Z4 with 50k miles. The fluid inside I believe is "lifetime" transmission fluid, given the name by BMW. I called up my local dealer and they said that they normally don't recommend changing the transmission fluid. I've read differing opinions online stating that the transmission fluid only lasts the "lifetime" of the car which is normally around 100,000 miles, hence the term "lifetime". I think BMW also recently renamed the term to long-life transmission fluid.

Anyways, I called up some shops and one of the shops also recommended against changing this "lifetime" fluid. Some online references state that changing the transmission fluid is a good thing to do. Is leaving the fluid alone a good idea? If not, what should I replace it with?

Spec: Seven quarts of BMW or equivalent ATF. The spec is ESSO LT71141
Would you guys recommend I change the transmission fluid anytime soon? Also, what fluid should I use?

I also have not replaced my differential fluid in 50k miles. Being a 2 seater sports car, I don't tow anything and I drive hard about 20% of the time. What oil would you all recommend for my diff?
Spec: Synthetic 75/90 Gear Oil

I don't know if relevant or not, but I just recently changed my engine oil with German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 european formula. I'll be sticking with German Castrol for the engine oil from hereon out.

My completed questionnaire in case you need it:
1. What kind of vehicle you have
BMW Z4 with 50k miles, M54 engine
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
"BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market", "Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher."
taken from the BMW website: BMW recommended oil list
Change internal is 15,000 miles, but I usually change it around 7,500 miles or at least once a year
3. Where you live
NJ, USA
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
About 80% of the time I'm cruising, 20% of the time I like to drive hard
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Short trips, mostly city
6. Whether your car has any known problems
No known problems

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
MaxLife ATF. Valvoline Tech Director issued a letter to the effect it meets the BMW spec. Google it.

If a shop said not to change it, it's because they don't know how. Find a BOSCH Authorized Service Center. If you're near Philly, I can recommend one w/40 year BMW Master mechanics. PM me.

Stick with the German Syntec. There are other good oils, but GC will be great. Don't be in a rush to change the diff fluid. When you do, Mobil 1 gear oil is very good.

I talked to the dealer about the changing the lifetime fluid in my Z4 and they said that they would not do it. I've read opinions on the net that it should be changed and opinions that it should be left alone.

I have left mine alone.

Uneducated postulation...

The system may be designed in such a way (though I can't think how) that changing the fluid could do more harm than good, if it was in some way designed to use the same fluid through its lifespan.

If you decide not to change it, be aware that BMW's definition of "lifetime" is 100k miles if I remember correctly. Once you're past that point, if the transmission fails, understand that the transmission operated in the way it was designed.

Thanks for your comments!

Regarding my transmission fluid... I really don't know what to do still... but I just got this data for my car regarding differential oil:
Quote:
Approved Final Drive Oils for Front and Rear Axle Final Drives
With and Without Limited Slip or Viscous Coupling

All models are factory filled with a synthetic final drive oil.

Limited Slip Differentials
BMW Synthetic Final Drive Oil (SAF-XJ) --> Google says this is 75/140 (with multi-plate limited-slip differential)

Non Limited Slip Differentials
BMW Synthetic Final Drive Oil (SAF-XO) --> Google says this is 75/90 (without multi-plate limited-slip differential, or with viscous differential lock [325iX/iXA])

I think I'm going to use Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90 Synthetic Final Drive Lubricant. Has anyone had any experience with this oil? Would anyone recommend anything else over it?

Last edited:
Nothing is designed to do more harm than good when the fluid is changed. Not sure where this internet [censored] comes from.

Maintain your vehicle if you plan on keeping it.

You are overdue for an exchange of ALL other fluids in that vehicle.

Maxlife, Amsoil, Redline... are some good ATF choices.

Plenty of full synthetic LSD gear oils to choose from in that weight.

Also, don't forget the coolant, PSF...... and 'other' filters!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Nothing is designed to do more harm than good when the fluid is changed. Not sure where this internet [censored] comes from.

I hope you picked up on my own skepticism of such a claim in my post.

Originally Posted By: mike87
BMW Synthetic Final Drive Oil (SAF-XO) --> Google says this is 75/90 (without multi-plate limited-slip differential, or with viscous differential lock [325iX/iXA])

I think I'm going to use Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90 Synthetic Final Drive Lubricant. Has anyone had any experience with this oil? Would anyone recommend anything else over it?[/quote]

I've done a write up on this, so do a search. I have a 2007 BMW 335I and I changed the tranmission fluid at 50K miles, and it was burnt up. Here is my advise to you: buy the following fluid, and take your car to an independent shop:

Transmission oil: I highly recommend Pentosin ATF 1. Should get 7 liters out of a drain and fill. Others I would use include:
-Castrol multivehicle ATF
-Royal purple ATF
-Quaker state synthetic 4X4 ATF

Differential:
-Royal purple max gear
-redline 75W 90

Originally Posted By: Turkeybaster115
Originally Posted By: Turkeybaster115

I think I'm going to use Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90 Synthetic Final Drive Lubricant. Has anyone had any experience with this oil? Would anyone recommend anything else over it?

I've done a write up on this, so do a search. I have a 2007 BMW 335I and I changed the tranmission fluid at 50K miles, and it was burnt up. Here is my advise to you: buy the following fluid, and take your car to an independent shop:

Transmission oil: I highly recommend Pentosin ATF 1. Should get 7 liters out of a drain and fill. Others I would use include:
-Castrol multivehicle ATF
-Royal purple ATF
-Quaker state synthetic 4X4 ATF

Differential:
-Royal purple max gear
-redline 75W 90

Thanks, I found your write-up. I'm going to do a little more research on the automatic tranny fluid before I decide to change it. My tranny's leaking a tiny bit, so I'm going to have to replace the gasket and transmission filter as well.

I think I'm going to change out my diff fluid this weekend, but I still can't figure out if I need 75w90 or 75w140
frown.gif
I called up bavauto.com and they said I needed 75w140. Gonna do some more snooping tonight, please give me some more of your thoughts!

Last edited:
I think I'm going to change out my diff fluid this weekend, but I still can't figure out if I need 75w90 or 75w140
frown.gif
I called up bavauto.com and they said I needed 75w140. Gonna do some more snooping tonight, please give me some more of your thoughts!

Do you have LSD or not? Looking at your write-up, that's the only difference between reqs for 90w vs 140w.
If you do not know, raise the axle in question off the ground, make sure vehicle is secure. Spin one of the wheels by hand, if the other one spins in the same direction, you have an LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction--you have an open differential or a locker.

Last edited:
I changed the ATF in my 1997 528i at 100K; I sold it in 2005 and the current owner has over 200K on it; the AT is still working fine. I changed the ATF and TC oil in my X3 truck at 50K and at 92K I've had no problems with either one.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
frown.gif

Do you have LSD or not? Looking at your write-up, that's the only difference between reqs for 90w vs 140w.
If you do not know, raise the axle in question off the ground, make sure vehicle is secure. Spin one of the wheels by hand, if the other one spins in the same direction, you have an LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction--you have an open differential or a locker.

Non-LSD, only the M models come with the LSD (drool) :)

Okay, so I finally confirmed that I need to purchase 75w-90, not 75w-140. I'm thinking about using Redline 75w-90, I'm okay with any price (hey, better than paying someone else to change it for me, right?)

Any other recommendations? If not, I'm gonna go with the Redline :)

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I changed the ATF in my 1997 528i at 100K; I sold it in 2005 and the current owner has over 200K on it; the AT is still working fine. I changed the ATF and TC oil in my X3 truck at 50K and at 92K I've had no problems with either one.

Wow, that's good to know that an auto can last that long!

I replaced LT71141 in a 540 with Amsoil ATF and the results were fantastic. The patient was my dad's car which had the LT71141 changed at the dealer every 50,000km (despite their protest). Since new it was never quite right with some awkward shifts and bad behaviour. It was PERFECT after switching to Amsoil.

If you don't mind spending the $$$, I'd go with Amsoil ATF. If you're on a bit more of a budget, I've heard great things about Maxlife ATF which also lists LT71141 applications on the back of the bottle.

I've had excellent results in BMW rear ends with Redline 75W90. I'm just trying some Amsoil SVG out now.

Last edited:
Again, in the rear, no need to be picky, Mobil 1 is excellent, GL-5 is what you require.

It takes quite a bit of ATF to do the trans flush. AMSoil and Euro ATFs are great, but MaxLife is just as good. Another one to consider is Castrol Import ATF (or Hi-Miles) PepBoys has a special now 2 for $5, which is fantastic. I use it and MaxLife in my Hondas, as well as AMSoil.

The Euro ATs are tough to service, my Audi TipTronics cost me $350 to do w/8 litres of spec fluid. By comparo, the Hondas have meerely a 3/8" square drive mag drain bolt and a dipstick on top for refill. All you need is a ratchet, no special tools.

Don't be fooled by the "Lifetime" nonsense, that just refers to the fluid makers intended use. I've seen many makes, from Audi to VW to Volvo go to a no-service-required programme (in order to claim reduced ownership costs) while all the hard parts stayed the same, ONLY the fluid changed.

That being said, makes like my Honda are easily serviced, with directions for doing so right in the OWNER'S manual. So, make your own decision.

I want to sincerely thank you all for your advice!

I think I'm going to go with Red Line 75w90 (2 quarts) for my differential and AMSOIL Universal ATF ESSO LT71141 (7 quarts) for my automatic transmission.

I'm pretty hard set on getting the Red Line gear oil for my diff, but I'm still a little finicky about the AMSOIL for my tranny. I require a transmission fluid that's ESSO LT71141 spec. Are there brands anyone would recommend over the AMSOIL? Pentosin ATF?

Also, according to my calculations, all parts including oils, transmission gasket, transmission filter, and new drain plugs + washers come out to a total just shy of $170.

Last edited:
Actually, should I go with the Castrol GL-5 rated 75w90 gear oil over the Red Line 75w90? The Castrol is BMW-recommended, but I've only heard good things about the Red Line.

Red Line 75w90:
API Service Class GL 5+
Viscosity Grade SAE 75W90
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 16.4
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 115
Viscosity Index 155
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Flash Point, °C 227
Flash Point, °F 440
Brookfield Viscosity, Poise 1100 @-40°C

Castrol Syntec 75w90
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_castrol_SYNTEC_full_SYNTHETIC_GEAR_OIL.pdf

Grade 75W-90
API Service GL-5, MT-1
Mack Service GO-H/S
Viscosity, cSt 100°C ASTM D-445 15.0
Low Temp.(ºC) Brookfield Vis. cst., max ASTM D-2983 150,000 (-40)
Pour Point, ºC max ASTM D-97 -39
Flash Point, COC, °F(°C) min ASTM D-92 390 (198)
Specific Gravity, 60°F ASTM D-1298 0.86
Pounds per Gallon 7.16

Last edited:
Actually, should I go with the Castrol GL-5 rated 75w90 gear oil over the Red Line 75w90? The Castrol is BMW-recommended, but I've only heard good things about the Red Line.

Red Line 75w90:
API Service Class GL 5+
Viscosity Grade SAE 75W90
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 16.4
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 115
Viscosity Index 155
Pour Point, °C -45
Pour Point, °F -49
Flash Point, °C 227
Flash Point, °F 440
Brookfield Viscosity, Poise 1100 @-40°C

Castrol Syntec 75w90
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_castrol_SYNTEC_full_SYNTHETIC_GEAR_OIL.pdf

Grade 75W-90
API Service GL-5, MT-1
Mack Service GO-H/S
Viscosity, cSt 100°C ASTM D-445 15.0
Low Temp.(ºC) Brookfield Vis. cst., max ASTM D-2983 150,000 (-40)
Pour Point, ºC max ASTM D-97 -39
Flash Point, COC, °F(°C) min ASTM D-92 390 (198)
Specific Gravity, 60°F ASTM D-1298 0.86
Pounds per Gallon 7.16

Throw in royal purple max gear into your decision. Its GL 4&5. Whatever you do, change out diff fluid after 30K miles. I HIGHLY recommend pentosin ATF1 in your transmission. Its used in Vioth Buses in europe, for extended drain intervals.

I'm digging this topic up, but for those of you with Z4s how has dependability been?

I'm on the hunt for a 2007+ Z4 3.0si. The one I wanted sold about 2 hours before I got there!

Any feedback from Z4 owners is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back