We Stopped Buying WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to buy ten cases at a time of wd-40 but it seems that there is a lot of trouble with the cans they always seem to lose the spray quality you can feel there is still oil in there but you can't always use it because it wont come out of the can ..Also the new tops fall off and dont always work as they should...I have heard this from a lot of people including a major Locksmith group that also stopped using it after over 20 years because of the same reason

PB blaster has come way down in price and has the foaming action& has always worked superior. I like JB 80 better but a couple a bucks more.

I use my door many times every day for the past 10 years. The hinges were extremely noisy. I put one squirt of WD40 on the hinges and it hasn't made any noise for the past 7 years so far.

I have had nozzle problems with recent WD-40 cans as well. When they're about 25% full, I end up puncturing them and draining the oil into a squirt bottle.

Could buy it in the Gallon size and put it in spray or squirt bottles. I just bought a gallon for the first time and it will last for many years.
I just started putting WD-40 in a Visine eye dropper, I use it for drilling on my small drill press to keep the bits sharp and to help while drilling.

Since I'm very cheap I can use it and not feel like it's costing so much.

I had trouble with the most recent can I bought; it has a weird new type of nozzle. I couldn't get a drop to come out, let alone spray. Worthless.

I just got a can within the last few months (from wal mart, that may be part of the problem) which has the dual-head, with a permanently affixed straw, and a regular spray opening. Neither spray properly, or in a good pattern. Both sides leak for a good second after I release the button.

I also had a can of CRC electronics cleaner that vented most of its propellant through what I guess is a leak in the seal on the action. Very annoying.

Probably the result of trying to save a little bit of plastic, as a result, far higher true waste quantity released.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I just started putting WD-40 in a Visine eye dropper

I hope someone doesn't try to "get the red out", that would not be good :)

We use Tri-Flow for spray lubrication and WD-40 for spraying the blades of hedge trimmers. It seems to have more solvent which breaks up the "juice" that gets on the blades from the shrubs. Spray just before storing so the juice doesn't stick the blades together.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Probably the result of trying to save a little bit of plastic, as a result, far higher true waste quantity released.

Yeah, but it's a win-win from the company's perspective. They pay less for packaging while keeping the price the same, AND you have to buy WD-40 more often.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I just got a can within the last few months (from wal mart, that may be part of the problem) which has the dual-head, with a permanently affixed straw, and a regular spray opening. Neither spray properly, or in a good pattern. Both sides leak for a good second after I release the button.

I also had a can of CRC electronics cleaner that vented most of its propellant through what I guess is a leak in the seal on the action. Very annoying.

I bought a can at PepBoys, same problem. Glad to see it's not just me!

I like that Jig-a-Loo better anyway.

John

"WD40 & MMO should have their own forum, Shall they? Titled: "The never harmed anything forum"

That's great. I'd add a second "it worked on my dad's slant sixes, so it's still good advice today" forum.

we stopped buying it at my engine shop and i know for a fact that a major locksmith association agrees with me and they are recommending something else..

Still have an old can, which I don't use that often. As another fellow stated, I blasted all the creaky doors in my place and they've been good for 3 years now. Shame that the new cans suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back