How to properly gauge drag with a feeler gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you go about properly gauging drag when using a feeler gauge? I want to check the valves on my fiancee's Honda, and have no clue how to use a feeler gauge besides how it looks like you use it.

While you are developing a feel for the gauges, adjust for the lightest of drags at the target size, then try one thousandth over, it should be tight. Then try 1 thousands under, it should be completely loose.

It's also important that you have the gauge aligned with the gap, a little crooked makes it feel tighter than it is.

If it's a job that I am going to repeat I will buy a cheap feeler gauge set and take it apart and just use the gauges for the gaps I'm checking. Without the extra weight and bulk of the entire set and the holder it's easier to feel what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: XS650
It's also important that you have the gauge aligned with the gap, a little crooked makes it feel tighter than it is.

This is easy to do with the Honda valvetrain. I make sure the feeler guage is perfectly flat with the top of the valve stem to get an accurate feel.

Try with a feeler .001 over, if that wont fit in, you are OK.
I used to have a set of Go / No Go gauges, the lower half of each feeler was .001 over.

Everything XS650 said, and don't be afraid to bend the right one into a task specific shape to make sure that it gets exactly where wanted.

With the danger of repeating what others have said....

In my Acura, for example, the intake valve clearance is spec'd at 0.006 -- 0.007 in. [Make sure you have the spec'd values for her engine, found either in the service manual, or on a sticker on the bottom surface of the hood.]

I adjust so that the 0.006in feeler fits, and the 0.007in doesn't. If the 0.006in can barely move -- this might be the drag you are referring to -- I'll loosen it a little.

After I do all the valves, I'll rotate the crank again to double-check the valves.

Only on a cold engine, of course.

Good luck, and take your time!
cheers3.gif

It also helps to move the rocker by hand to ensure all clearances in the valve train (especially so for pushrod engines, and, yes, they are still around, I have one) are taken up. You could have a film of oil fill up a gap and make the valvetrain seem tighter than it actually is.

Thanks! This is making much more sense now. I'll have a fun afternoon checking the valves in her car in a few thousand miles.

Many years ago when most cars were OHV my teacher told me to drag a feeler gauge over a weak magnet to get the "feel" of how it should feel when the clearance is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back