0W-20 in summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be terrible to use 0w20 in summer?

The car is an 05 Acura TL for which Honda recommends 5w20. So far it's been running on PP 5w20 year round, and I'm definitely going to switch to 0w20 (probably M1 due to lack of 0w20 options) for winter at least.

The reason I ask is because this car does short trips quite often (along with long highway drives few times a week).

Last edited:
If Honda recommends a 5w20 a 0w20 would work fine no issues all year around.

i'ts still a 20w at opt temp.

0W-20 will be fine in summer for your 3.2L V-6. The HTHS of some of the 0W-20's is a little on the low side. If you have a heavy right foot, especially on the hottest days of the summer, a 5W-20 might offer slightly better protection. If it's the 0W you're interested in for better flow at startup, you could go with a 0W-30 for its better HTHS properties.

The 0W oils can also have higher volatility than 5W and 10W oils, so make sure you check the oil level over the course of the OCI and keep the PCV system clean. In winter, that might be less of a concern.

Nice car. Sometimes I regret selling my 07 TL Type S.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No issues

Running right now, in fact.

Same here, I've got Toyota 0w20 in my wife's Civic right now. With her drive to work only being about 8 miles, the oil probably never reaches 100C (and if it does it's only for a short time) so most of the time her oil isn't even getting to the point where it's actually operating at under 9.3 cst.

And even when we drive the car longer in the summer heat and it does get fully up to temperature I'm not worried in the least.

Black or red bottle?

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No issues

Running right now, in fact.

Same here, I've got Toyota 0w20 in my wife's Civic right now. With her drive to work only being about 8 miles, the oil probably never reaches 100C (and if it does it's only for a short time) so most of the time her oil isn't even getting to the point where it's actually operating at under 9.3 cst.

And even when we drive the car longer in the summer heat and it does get fully up to temperature I'm not worried in the least.

Originally Posted By: daman

I agree, but have to make a slight correction: it's like a 20-weight at operating temp, not a 20w.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I agree, but have to make a slight correction: it's like a 20-weight at operating temp, not a 20w.

w or weight?? splitting hairs? one should know what it means.

It's fine. Just changed the fiancee's Honda to 0w-20. She does a lot of short trips, and some highway drives too.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Is Synpower 0w20 readily available? A lot of these companies have 0w20, but the only I usually see in stores is M1 0w20.

I don't know why PP even bothers having a 0w20. I'd buy if it was sold locally, but it seems there's only a couple online retailers who sell it.

More companies should publish HTHS visc too. It's an important spec.

Last edited:

Yeah, you're right. I know you know what the difference is. Just trying to make it clear for the people who don't.

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Black or red bottle?

Up here all of our Toyota 0w20 comes in a black bottle, but apparently it's the same as the red bottle you guys get in the US (in other words it's not the stuff made by Exxon Mobil)

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Yeah, you're right. I know you know what the difference is. Just trying to make it clear for the people who don't.

Sure..

Where are the engine failures because of low HTHS?
One test showed we need a certain amount, and this has been Gospel ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back