Thinking of buying a used car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you guys know your stuff, so maybe you can either push me into this or drag me away.

I have a truck that I currently drive on a daily basis, but I'm realizing that I basically just go to/from work and that's it unless it is the weekend or a holiday. The truck gets around 15 city/20 highway and my drive is 50% highway/50% city. It is a single cab short bed, so not the most comfortable ride, but dependable. I rarely seem to need the bed or the size of the truck to get me to/from work.

I have been scanning the used car lists on craigslist, autotrader, etc.. and I think I can set a max of $6,000 cash for a more comfortable car with better gas mileage. But here's the trick: I don't want a Civic or Accord or Corolla or Camry. Too boring, too common.

I have my eye on a few options currently:

2002 VW Jetta TDI - $5,995 and just shy above 100k miles. Car is at a used car dealership. I actually plan on seeing if I can go test drive this one this week. I guess I can't claim to like this car until I drive one.

2003 VW Jetta GL - $5,995 and around 80k miles. Car is at same dealership as one above. This one has a 5 speed, which I actually am looking for.

2001 Mustang GT - $6,000 and around 130k miles. Car is sold by a private party. I've driven one of these before and they can really tear up the pavement when you floor it. Fun car, but possibly high insurance.

I know, the mustang doesn't qualify under the gas mileage requirement, but the price seems pretty good for what appears to be a good condition sports car with a V8. Owner claims that all maintenance has been done by the book.

I think I'd have fun either way. I have always liked the Jetta for some reason, and the TDI is appealing due to the possibility that it can get pretty high MPG values (the one I mentioned is an auto, though
frown.gif
). Otherwise, it seems like a fairly sensible car that can get me to/from work.

Should I not be dabbling in this price range since these cars all have 100k miles+ ? Since I want this vehicle to be my primary daily driver, am I getting myself in more trouble?

Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
$6k will buy a lot of gas for the truck you already own, and have insurance on. By your own account, it's a reliable vehicle that gets you where you need to go.

All other options just have you spending extra money, and not necessarily gaining much.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
$6k will buy a lot of gas for the truck you already own, and have insurance on. By your own account, it's a reliable vehicle that gets you where you need to go.

All other options just have you spending extra money, and not necessarily gaining much.....

Aw come on! You just had to be so sensible so early! :)

Originally Posted By: silverrat
100 bucks says some one recommends a Crown Vic.

I wouldn't mind one, honestly, but they're a bit larger than I need and most seem to be high mileage. Could be fun to zip around in a P71..

The TDI is nice but maintance cost is very high on them. If you go this route you need to make sure the timing belt has been replaced or plan another 800.00 to have it done

crown vic are okay if you want a 1500 cop car or are 70 years old so if not the TDI buy the stang.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: silverrat
100 bucks says some one recommends a Crown Vic.

I wouldn't mind one, honestly, but they're a bit larger than I need and most seem to be high mileage. Could be fun to zip around in a P71..

Pfeh. Unless it has 300,000 miles or more on it, the CV isn't high mileage. And they get good gas mileage (relatively speaking_)

I was in a similar dilemma, not based on getting better mileage, but because I didn't want a boring car as well.

I got a 2002 Maxima with 6 speed manual and limited slip diff.
It's a rocket, and it hooks up like crazy with the HLSD.

It gets good mileage on the highway, and is probably as fast as that 2001 GT Mustang. Also insurance is not bad. It also has all kinds of cool options which all work perfectly. One of the last years of the good, solid Maximas.

Great, great car.. and inexpensive to purchase. Easily within your price range.

my .02

Too broad of criteria. There's a lot of different cars out there. I mean, if fuel economy and ride quality are factors causing you to want you to ditch your current ride, why bother even considering a 'Stang GT? After reading your post(good gas, low insurance, don't need hauling capability, good commuter, some performance), I'd guess a good mid-sized sedan or maybe a hatch is what your looking for.

Check out early '00 Saabs or late 90's BMW 3-series. Or, I could sell you my SVT for 6k, lol?

I'd try harder to pin down what you're really looking for. Otherwise just peruse the car lots/ 'net and buy what does it for you.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I was in a similar dilemma, not based on getting better mileage, but because I didn't want a boring car as well.

I got a 2002 Maxima with 6 speed manual and limited slip diff.
It's a rocket, and it hooks up like crazy with the HLSD.

It gets good mileage on the highway, and is probably as fast as that 2001 GT Mustang. Also insurance is not bad. It also has all kinds of cool options which all work perfectly. One of the last years of the good, solid Maximas.

Great, great car.. and inexpensive to purchase. Easily within your price range.

my .02

True, but good luck finding one. They're 7-8 yrs old now, and were pretty rare to begin w/ 6-speed and loaded up.

I've got a friend who scoured the Earth to find an SE with an AUTO, leather, roof, and HID's. Seems Nissan made 98% of Maxi's of that gen somewhat stripped down with cloth seats.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Too broad of criteria. There's a lot of different cars out there. I mean, if fuel economy and ride quality are factors causing you to want you to ditch your current ride, why bother even considering a 'Stang GT? After reading your post(good gas, low insurance, don't need hauling capability, good commuter, some performance), I'd guess a good mid-sized sedan or maybe a hatch is what your looking for.

Check out early '00 Saabs or late 90's BMW 3-series. Or, I could sell you my SVT for 6k, lol?

I'd try harder to pin down what you're really looking for. Otherwise just peruse the car lots/ 'net and buy what does it for you.

After re-reading your post it sounds like you know what you want= Jetta.

I personally wouldn't go Jetta. Not based on firsthand ownership experience or anything, I've just never really liked VW's in general.

I'd hit the Jetta. Do browse the TDIClub website for a mechanic in your area to take a look at it. And ask for a service log, or records, or other things to prove that somebody took care of it.

I own multiple cars for that reason, I drive a lot, gas is expensive and insurance is relatively cheap.

Whether I spread the wear and tear out over multiple cars, or on a single car, the rough per-mile cost for repairs and service comes out the same regardless of how many cars I have.

I think used cars are a poor deal a lot of the time. Particularly used cars that are "low mileage", as these are the leases and other cars where the owner didnt have an interest in the car, used it just to check the box that they had a new vehicle, and that was it. Sure, you may be paying 20-30% less than new, but youve also just traded off 20-30% of the car's life.

I prefer well used cars with over 75k, which were well maintained, have all the records, and are of known long-lived varieties.

Keep in mind that even if the PO maintained very well and by the book, in a used car youre still getting close to the mileage when stuff needs to be replaced, regardless, so a $6k car is never really a $6k car. To do it right and make it last a long time, a $6k car is really a $7500-9000 car after you do all the right stuff to it.

I know that you don't want a Camry, however I have a 07 F-150 Crew Cab, & realized that I needed a good solid reliable commuter during the Summer of $4.00 gas of 08! I got a totally mint 1993 Camry V6 LE, that was garaged & barely driven! Previous owners were older folks! This car is bullet proof, for 300K miles & is cheaper to own than what your looking for! I got it for 3K! Some people say I stole it! It only had 100K miles when I got it! I highly recommend one! Probably the best Gen Camry ever made period, as to how many are still running fine today! I know someone with 341K miles on his! still running just fine!

Excellent feedback everyone. I never thought about the Maxima. I know those are pretty slick cars that can be dang fast if they have the V6. Will definitely consider.

I will at least go test drive a few used cars to see what I'm getting myself into. Sometimes it takes a dose of reality to cure undirected ambition...

How far is your commute? If its less 10 miles each way then I wouldn't worry about mileage at all. I think around 50 miles a day is the range where a TDI begins to make financial sense.
A Mustang GT would be much more fun than the Maxima IMO, unless you get snow often.

The lowly chevy cavalier has a soft suspension for a small car, and the newest model years (02-04 or so) have the super ecotec motor. You can get one with 100k for $3k most likely.

You may find a certain amusement in a Lesabre, near 30 MPG highway and pretty good 3.8 powertrain. Oldster owned ones are all over the place. Tauruses handle really nicely and by the end of the model run they brought transmission reliability up to tolerable.

I'm probably all too practical. You want something cool, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back