Engine oil bottle foil went inside the engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine was changing his oil on his 2010 5.7L Tundra and he "thinks" he saw a dime sized foil from the engine oil bottle go into the filler hole. He didn't start the engine and drained it...and proceeded to pour 10 more quarts of new MC 5W20 into the engine with the oil pan plug out. He didn't see the foil after both drains. (I know waste of oil). He put 8 quarts of new MC 5W20 and started the engine. What do you guys think? It'll eventually get crumpled up and come out through the pan or get stuck in the filter? At this point, he's just going to do frequent changes.

I don't belive MC has foil over the top. Redline I know does, but not any commercial products. It'll get stuck to the oil pickup before anything if it makes it through the oil passages

I think he didnt see anything

Last edited:
For some reason, he was using quart bottles of Castrol Syntec 10W-30. He has boxes of them from his previous car. What is a oil pick-up? Should he be worried...this has to have happened a few times before in the history of DIYers, not a bitoger of course.

That happened to me on a chevrolet 4.3 while i was adding mmo...My ocd had me fish around down the oil fill and then eventually take the valve cover off

I dont know about castrol but there opening are alot larger then a dime also. The oil pickup is attached to the block and sucks oil out of the pan it has a screen on it

It's sitting in the valve cover valley in the head and probably won't get flushed into the pan because of obstacles in the head. Even if it does get down to the pan it can't get sucked into the oil pump because of the pickup strainer. Don't worry about it -- it will stay on the head or the bottom of the pan. It is possible that it could obstruct a return oil passageway but very unlikely and it wouldn't completely obstruct it.

If you just have to remove it -- stop pouring expensive oil through the engine and take off the valve cover and retrieve it.

Last edited:
It probably took it a while to work it's way from the head down to the oil pan, if it ever did.

If it gets to the pan, there is a screen on the oil pump intake that will stop it before it gets into the pump.

If it's in the pan, there is a good chance it will come out with an oil drain. It will help to drain the engine with the oil hot because it will run out faster and be more likely to take the foil with it.

Look in the oil drain hole after the oil is drained, if the foil isn't wadded up, it will hang up at the drain hole.

Round pieces of foil aren't the ideal oil additive, but the chance of any real harm is slim to none.

Edit: I second Zedheds suggestion if the owner is losing any sleep over this.

Last edited:
From what he said, he was punching them out with this thumbs and a chunk must have ripped off. I have a feeling he won't be taking a valve cover off, his truck has like 20K on it.

Sure hope nothing happens...2010 means under warranty which means denial if something happens. That will be found and get very expensive

Happened to me once, I think it stuck to the inside f the valve assy.

I found some plastic rings inside a Jag once.

I had a twig fall into my oil filler neck once. Fished it out and went on with life.

Eh, yank the valve cover if it makes you sleep better at night.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I had a twig fall into my oil filler neck once. Fished it out and went on with life.

Eh, yank the valve cover if it makes you sleep better at night.

Exactly...

Originally Posted By: XS650
Round pieces of foil aren't the ideal oil additive...

I think we need to discuss the new tinfoil additives!

Last edited:
LOL Lots of very poor advice....DO NOT remove the valve cover. Every bit of warranty will go right out the door if he attempts that. I promise you the tech will know also. With 80,000 miles of warranty left he may consider having the dealer pull the cover just to make sure nothing is there. Be straight with the writer about what he thinks he saw.

i wouldnt worry about it...engines can take a lot more abuse than this, just ask my friends...i forgot to put on oil cap one time and oil blasted out doy

I doubt it will get past the heads, and if it does the screen on the pump will stop it from getting through the pump. It won't hurt a thing IMO.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
LOL Lots of very poor advice....DO NOT remove the valve cover. Every bit of warranty will go right out the door if he attempts that. I promise you the tech will know also. With 80,000 miles of warranty left he may consider having the dealer pull the cover just to make sure nothing is there. Be straight with the writer about what he thinks he saw.

And what would stop the tec from putting a note against this guy's truck saying that there was contamination found in the heads, that would void his warranty as well or at least give them basis to deny it later, the less dealer knows the better.

This is a tough one,on a 2010 truck it would bug the heck out me and that valve cover would come off, it could block an oil passage in the head and cause problems way down the road, I know its only a remote chance but still
I dont see how pulling the cover would void a powertrain warranty but you could have the dealer do it. I agree if it made it to the pan then no problem.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: DieselTech

And what would stop the tec from putting a note against this guy's truck saying that there was contamination found in the heads, that would void his warranty as well or at least give them basis to deny it later, the less dealer knows the better.
very good point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back