What say you about the GM 5 cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Brother in law has a 2006 Colorado Crew Cab 2WD with the I5. I have driven it a couple times. Decent power. I liked it actually( ie; the truck and engine ). He gets 20-24 MPG on average. He has had no problems with the engine or the truck to speak of. He has replaced the tires and had to do regular maintenance and that is all.

I have read a lot of complaints on the MPG from the 4WD version owners however. Guys saying they may as well get a full size as the MPG is the same. In my BIL's 06 2WD the MPG is great.

FWIW

If you buy a Colorado with the I-5 you might want to budget $500-$1000 for a new intake manifold and installation. If it doesn't need it now it will soon enough...

If you're looking for the best gas mileage possible, I would go with the 4 cyl manual trans in a regular cab Colorado. I have the ext cab auto, and you'll get a 2-3 mpg difference with my configuration.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
I've had two customers in past three. Months come to my shop and have had blown head gaskets. All low mileage 40 to 50k five cylinders. Both colorados. We pulled them in oil cap had white gunk A LOT of it. And after oil change everytime dipstick was pulled get that same gunk. Don't know if that's a coincidence but I won't ever get one of those after seeing that

That could very well be condensation. Haven't heard of head gasket issues with these trucks. Short trips=condensation under oil cap esp in winter. My Durango 4.7 did that. Should be covered under warranty anyway.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I've had two customers in past three. Months come to my shop and have had blown head gaskets. All low mileage 40 to 50k five cylinders. Both colorados. We pulled them in oil cap had white gunk A LOT of it. And after oil change everytime dipstick was pulled get that same gunk. Don't know if that's a coincidence but I won't ever get one of those after seeing that

That could very well be condensation. Haven't heard of head gasket issues with these trucks. Short trips=condensation under oil cap esp in winter. My Durango 4.7 did that. Should be covered under warranty anyway.

Exactly. Our Expedition 4.6L when I had the oil fill cap off the other day had the exact same thing. Doesn't worry me a bit, it's cold out, and its daily route is 6 miles each way.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Those are very isolated problems, probably abused.

It's a standard Iron block/aluminum head. And it runs out pretty good as long as you're not towing and such.

No.

The Colorado I5 engine is an aluminum block engine with iron liners.

And my ex-boss worked at a GMC dealer and became very familiar with that family of engine.

Both vehicles I mentioned are company vehicles. That are garaged parked. Maintenance to the tee. And condensation? Yea I don't think a huge cup of milky gunk under the oil cap is just condensation. Maybe they see a lot of short trips if that has anything to do with it. And like I said dipped stick was pulled many times still getting that gunk

Hi

Our '05 Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab w/ 3.5 I-5 has been great. We have gotten as high as 24mpg during the summer with a/c on. Good power, quiet and responsive on the highway.

Our Blazer with the old 4.3 couldn't touch it for mpg or everyday driving.

For our purposes, its been a great truck.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
The 4, and 5 cylinder used in the Colorado/Canyon are both variants of the 4.2L Inline 6 DOHC. They are the exact same engine, with literally 1 or 2 cylinders chopped off. There isn't really any difference between them except for that. But the 5 cylinder is supposed to be fairly decent.

Well.. kinda. Last I knew, pistons and some valvetrain hardware are the same, other than that, everything is different. The 4 and 5cyl variants of the Atlas/Vortec engine series require balance shafts. You can see the bulge on the lower block skirt (behind the a/c compressor) for the balance shaft. The now defunct I6 version did not need this. I think a lot of the schmutz on the oil cap can be attributed to where the oil cap is located. Vapors are more likely to cool and condense there. These engines do have a funky PCV system w/ no serviceable PCV valve. There is a small hose that goes from the top of the block skirt, directly to the intake manifold. Only a breather line plugs into the cam cover, so it's possible it doesn't get an optimal sweep up there. All that aside, I haven't heard many bad things about these engines. I'd be happy with one If I had the need. AFAIK, all of the problems were with the earlier 3.5L version. Not the newer 3.7L.

20103.7LI5VVTLLRCOLLoR.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Canyon with the 4cyl. It has been fine, no complaints. City fuel economy in the low 20's, mixed driving in the mid 20's. I am surprised how much power it has for a 4cyl.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
That looks like a nice engine!

Agreed. GM was going in the right direction with the Atlas/Vortec series. Toughness, simple layout, fewer parts and maintenance areas being easy to service. Like said, I've not heard of any sealing issues with the 3.7L, where you see a report here and there on the older 3.5L. I loved the 4.2L I6 in the 2005 Trailblazer we once owned. Just the rest of the vehicle wasn't all that great.

Joel

I own an '04 Colorado 3.5L I5 Z71 4x4 that belonged to my late father. The truck has ~86,000 miles on it.

Overall, I don't mind the engine/transmission. It has enough power for driving around town, etc. It also handles pretty well, for a truck, due to it's small size. Beyond that though, the truck as a whole leaves a lot to be desired.

I've heard a few stories of blown head gaskets in these engines. I've had no issues with that...yet. I have had the milky gunk under the oil cap. No matter my driving habits or the driving conditions, it's always under the cap when I check the oil. I've also noticed that there is a lot of "burnt sludge" on the cam lobe looking straight down the oil filler hole. I've tried conventional oil, synthetic oil, short OCI's, etc.. My current fill is Rotella T6 5w40 w/25% MMO and I'm still getting the milky gunk under the filler cap. I thought some of the "burnt sludge" on the came lobe was lessening, but I think my observation was wrong because it's definitely not getting any better these days. My next fill will be Pennzoil Ultra (6 qt. sump, btw). If that doesn't make things better, I'll just chalk it up to bad engine design.

Gas mileage is not impressive, at all. I'm currently getting 15-16 mpg (mostly drive around town & country roads). I just recently did a 6-hr. all interstate trip and could only achieve 18.8 MPG's (again, ALL interstate).

The rest of the truck is basically [censored]. Interior is very, very cheap and uncomfortable. The doors are "thin" and don't seem to want to close/latch very easily when you attempt to shut them. It's hard to describe, but it's not due to lack of lube on the hinges. The e-brake "froze" and I ended up breaking the pull-handle trying to get it un-froze. Now I have to use vice-grips to pull the handle. I was able to free it up enough to drive it, but I can still tell that it's not all the way un-froze. When I put it into drive, the truck barely moves. Frozen e-brake is another common problem on these trucks. It's probably part of the MPG problem I'm experiencing.

I also replaced the OEM batter last winter because I kept getting a "battery" warning on the DIC. Even after replacing it with a new battery, I still get the same message when it's cold out.

My other big complaint is the windshield washer nozzles. They don't put out much fluid and they spray most of it at the bottom of the windshield, where it's useless. I've even replaced one of the nozzles ($25 for something the size of a quarter!) and the new one is even worse. It drives me INSANE because I like a clean windshield at all times.

For about a year, I was leasing an '07 Tacoma 4.0 V6 4x4 for my business. That truck blew this Colorado out of the water in all aspects. The only advantage of the Colorado is that the smaller size seemed to allow for slightly better handling.

If you're looking for a mid-size truck, I'd put a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon at the bottom of the list. If this truck hadn't belonged to my father, I would have sold it yesterday.

I have a 2008 Colorado Z71 4x4, and I agree with the above. To a tee. I love the truck because it's simple, but it's poorly assembled and it's a PIG on gas. I haven't had milky oil caps or sludge, but that's because I change the oil WAY TOO MUCH for this board's standards (3 mile commute to work, northern climate and the engine rarely hits hot).

Oh, and the air conditioning on these trucks rarely blow cold. And they leak from all kinds of places when it rains. If the third tail light hasn't yet, it will soon.

Originally Posted By: CdnBakon
I have a 2008 Colorado Z71 4x4, and I agree with the above. To a tee. I love the truck because it's simple, but it's poorly assembled and it's a PIG on gas. I haven't had milky oil caps or sludge, but that's because I change the oil WAY TOO MUCH for this board's standards (3 mile commute to work, northern climate and the engine rarely hits hot).

Oh, and the air conditioning on these trucks rarely blow cold. And they leak from all kinds of places when it rains. If the third tail light hasn't yet, it will soon.

Then no, you DON'T change too frequently for "board standards" if you have an extreme usage pattern like that. You should do what works for you in your circumstances. That, or move to Florida -- we have ways of making engines warm up quickly here. . .
cheers3.gif

Just a quick update. My last OCI I ran 5 qts. of Rotella T6 5w40 and 1 qt. of MMO. The milky gunk under the oil cap disappeared after about 1K-1500 miles and never came back over 5K miles.

I changed the oil over the weekend since I hit 90K and put in 5 qts. Ultra and 1 qt. Platinum so we'll see if the milky gunk comes back or stays gone.

I had issues with the doors not closing right on my 08 ext cab Colorado, and I adjusted it (pass. side rear door) and now it does fine after the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. About the seats being uncomfortable, it's worth the extra $$$ to get the LT option, as you get better seats. Mine is a 2.9 4 cyl automatic ext cab 2WD, and so far I am happy with it. If I keep my foot out of it I get good mileage. Another complaint I had was the front brake pads. I replaced them with rotor friendly premium pads from the parts store (sorry, I can't remember the brand name) to correct the surging issues and the brakes grabbing when cold in the morning. This is a GM specific problem that has been an issue for years with about every GM vehicle I have owned. I hate the brake pads they use. They will last forever at the expense of your rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back