The "SeaFoam" Debate.. Yes, No, Or Maybe, and WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have it backwards.

What I'm suggesting is that components of brake cleaner are safe(er) to rubber parts, like in brake calipers, and components of carb cleaner are highly unsafe for engine seals. That's why brake cleaner is formulated differently from carb cleaner. Anything on the carb cleaner list that is NOT on the brake cleaner list is BAD. (now I'm getting confused)

So, stuff in brake cleaner = ok.

Stuff in carb cleaner = bad.

Seafoam = carb cleaner.

Seafoam = bad.

Obsessing over some engine deposits to the demise of the seals is maybe not a good trade-off.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I think you have it backwards.

What I'm suggesting is that components of brake cleaner are safe(er) to rubber parts, like in brake calipers, and components of carb cleaner are highly unsafe for engine seals. That's why brake cleaner is formulated differently from carb cleaner. Anything on the carb cleaner list that is NOT on the brake cleaner list is BAD. (now I'm getting confused)

So, stuff in brake cleaner = ok.

Stuff in carb cleaner = bad.

Seafoam = carb cleaner.

Seafoam = bad.

Obsessing over some engine deposits to the demise of the seals is maybe not a good trade-off.

Exactly.....I'd rather have a few extra engine deposits that don't hinder the performce or reliability of the engine than a bunch of leaking engine seals!!!!!!!!!

The SeaFoam craze seems to be a case of monkey see, monkey doo!
33.gif
With folks not stopping to think about the details and just counting on the judgement of some internet guy posting something.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to contact the makers of SF and find out what they say about any ill effects on seals/gaskets?

I've used SF many times in the past with excellent results. Several years ago I bought a used 99 Rodeo. It made a ticking noise while driving since I first got it. I originally thought it was coming from the dash area, only to discover it was coming from the engine.

I did some research online and was told it may be a lifter tick. I was told to try some SF. I did and it was gone instantly. I know SF worked for me and I know it has worked for others.

SF has been around for a long time and I've never heard of it doing anything bad to an engine. I think if it wasn't any good we'd have heard about that by now.

It's funny that people are saying that SF isn't going to clean anything while also saying it is bad for gaskets and seals. Let me get this straight… it's not strong enough to clean, but will damage seals and gaskets? That makes no sense. Sludge isn't very "strong" and seems to me it would be cleaned up pretty easily. Like I said, I know it worked for me.

I don't care if some one doesn't want to use it, but it seems pretty irresponsible to call it harmful. Especially with out any proof. People come on here looking for answers and it does no good for anyone when people feel they can just make up anything they want.

Originally Posted By: marcre
Has anyone tried to contact the makers of SF and find out what they say about any ill effects on seals/gaskets?

It seems pretty irresponsible to call it harmful. Especially with out any proof. People come on here looking for answers and it does no good for anyone when people feel they can just make up anything they want.

Wow, just wow.

What would you call "proof"? Do you think that's going to come from the makers of Seafoam?

I would imagine the Seafoam makers will say they tested it and it is fine. The gasket makers will probably say its harmful, and oil companies say don't use additives. Round and round we go. I've never tried Seafoam in the crankcase, but based on reading here and other sites I doubt a short run with Seafoam in the oil will ruin anything. For a full OCI if I were looking to clean up an engine I'd use something else. JMO

It seems pretty irresponsible to call it harmful. Especially with out any proof. People come on here looking for answers and it does no good for anyone when people feel they can just make up anything they want.

Wow, just wow.

What would you call "proof"? Do you think that's going to come from the makers of Seafoam?

What do you mean "wow, just wow"?

What do you call proof? People say it's harmful, I'd love to have some proof. I'd love to hear how it harmed an engine. This product has been around for a long time now and it's still being used. If it harmed anything it would have been found out long ago.

Like I said, you don't have to use it, but telling people not to use it because it's bad for their engine is irresponsible.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I would imagine the Seafoam makers will say they tested it and it is fine. The gasket makers will probably say its harmful, and oil companies say don't use additives. Round and round we go. I've never tried Seafoam in the crankcase, but based on reading here and other sites I doubt a short run with Seafoam in the oil will ruin anything. For a full OCI if I were looking to clean up an engine I'd use something else. JMO

I'm sure it has been tested by the manufacture.

How can you say the gasket makers would say it's harmful? Did you ask them? Gaskets and seals stand up to a lot in an engine.

I agree that oil companies say you don't need additives, yet some make additives. Regardless, SF isn't really an additive. It's a cleaner. A whole different ball game there.

Like I said before, I've used SF in the past. It worked for me, with proof.

General statement here… So many people say they wouldn't use it, but none have pointed to a specific example where the product did damage to something.

You say you'd use something else. What would you use?

Wow, just wow.

What do you mean "wow, just wow"?

What do you call proof? People say it's harmful, I'd love to have some proof. I'd love to hear how it harmed an engine. This product has been around for a long time now and it's still being used. If it harmed anything it would have been found out long ago.

Like I said, you don't have to use it, but telling people not to use it because it's bad for their engine is irresponsible.

Pay no attention to some of these posters here. Some of them obviously never taken anything apart whether it be an engine or carb that has had seafoam treatment.

I've taken heads off an motor after seafoam was used,and things were clean.I've seen with my own eyes,a carb that was cleaner after running SeaFoam,but alas,I guess I should've taken pictures for the doubters of BITOG.

There's wayyy too many people on this board who have not gotten their hands dirty and relying only on their own opinions on products here,whether it be oil,cleaners,etc,way too many know it alls with no mechanical knowledge or experience at all. Very sad to say the least.

You used Seafoam in your 2007 Jetta?

No, never felt I needed to. Since I'm the original owner of the Jetta and it calls for synthetic I don't think there's anything that would need to be cleaned. Especially after only three years and 33k.

A few posts ago I explained when I used it. 99 Rodeo that I got in 03-ish. It was making a ticking noise since the day I bought it from the original owner. Originally I thought it was coming from the dash, but later realized it was an engine noise. Searching Isuzu forums I was told it was probably a lifter tick and to try SF. The SF worked like a charm. Cleaned it up and the noise was gone, never to come back. I used to put some SF in the oil before a change. I'd drive it around and then do the OC.

After a few OC's my oil consumption went way down as well. Maybe that was do to the SF and maybe it was magic. When I first got the Rodeo it burned at least a QT ever 3k. Towards the end of ownership, I wasn't adding any although It still went down maybe a quarter to a third.

Wow, just wow.

Im very sorry, i was gonna post this Yesterday..
But i wanted to SIGNIFICANTLY contribute THIS for ALL readers of this thread, particularly, perhaps, Audi Junkie:

http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/

Thank You..

Again... For some INFO not presented here, DEALING WITH THE MANUFACTURER OF SEAFOAM... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/

Thanks for sharing although your contribution will be discredited by some because it was the mfg providing you the answers.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
MH HEMI - Learn to read.
Then, if you want to rant, go ahead.

You are using isogesis , not exogesis.

I can read just fine. I am not attributing anything to you that you are not saying and implying.

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Im very sorry, i was gonna post this Yesterday..
But i wanted to SIGNIFICANTLY contribute THIS for ALL readers of this thread, particularly, perhaps, Audi Junkie:

http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/

Thank You..

Again... For some INFO not presented here, DEALING WITH THE MANUFACTURER OF SEAFOAM... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/

The problem with this is not only is there no way to support his argument, he got some things dead WRONG. For example:

Quote:
plus he said, only the really big gas peeps put cleaners in their gas, such as BP, shell, Chevron, Exxon, and even they do not put it in all grades of their gas. So if you are buying gas at Bud's truck and beer stop, it proly does not have cleaners/detergents in it.

Federal law requires certain levels of detergent in gasoline. Fuel fom "Bud's truck and beer stop" comes from the same refiners and distributors as the fuel from the major brands. May have a different detergent pack, but it's the same stuff.

Quote:
Again, it adds lubricity and removes moisture, from you various systems, even the exaust system.
this is good , as i noticed, several drops of not only water, from using this on both my cars, but noticed a bit of goo coming from the 4runner pipe.

Water is a byproduct of the internal combustion cycle. ALL gasoline powered vehicles can have a little water dripping out the tailpipe. "goo" can also happen when the water mixes with some other junk in the exhaust pipe on it's way out.

Quote:
the stuff that it breaks up and loosens up,
should not damage your system anyway, it should get filtered out, your pistons, and stuff will continue to smash this stuff up, and is stronger than the junk.

Uuuh huh. Need I really say anything?

Quote:
This car is fast, and has allways been fast, but it was never what I considered quick, it was okay, but nothing special. Once it got up a little momentum, then it would giddyup.
Now, today, several times, I hit it up, at a stop light, or sign, or if i was allready on the highway, would hit the accelerator, as I was allready doing highway speeds. What throttle response!!!! WOW!!!! Not guessing, not thinking, but my A#$ss-ometer could easily tell, that as soon as my foot hit the pedal, my car would bow it's back up , like a wet cat, and take off, lickety
split, i mean the acceleration came quick , and easy folks, as soon as I hit
the pedal. And this car weighs a good 55oo lbs, not including all the wieight of all the [censored] i carry around in it.

A Caprice does NOT weigh 5,500 lbs.

His entire post was strictly hearsay and anecdotal.

The idea that an "expert", who is hardly unbiased, told him over the phone that it cures all and can never hurt anything hardly proves anything.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Thanks for sharing although your contribution will be discredited by some because it was the mfg providing you the answers.

NHHEMI.... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/
Isnt the "Manufacturer Site..." It is actually a Chemist and Car Worker that had a LOOONG Talk with one of the people tht DESIGNED SeaFoam, and it goes IN-DEPTH (If anyone will read it, i found it VERY Informative) on how SeaFoam will NOT "Eat Gaskets, Dissolve Seals, or cause Harm," but rather "Attack the Gum, Varnish, Sludge, Salt, etc." that is left behind as a by=product of Combustion of Foeul Air, etc.

It also echoes the experiences of those that have taken, oh, say, a Valve Cover Gasket off an Engine to see what they see (Some engines its REALLY Easy to do that) to look at the Valvetrain, fior a Telling look at the Condition of an Engine.. and were SUPRISED at either 1) How SLudged and Yucky it was (No Cleaning EVER,) OR 2( How GOOD it looked (SEAFOAM!!!)

There seem to be MANY users that Like it.. Some dont like it because its a "CLEANER" and its not OIL!! OH NO!!!! :)

.. And.. As to where all of the "Sludge" Went:

1) BURBNED OFF (People are missing this) .. Even MY Mechanic didnt want me to use it because he says "It HAS to go through the Exhaust Valves" .. I then used it after leaving his shop. I feel its "Cleaning" my car.. HOWEVER! i WILL use "Discretion," as Just like Synthetic Oil can "Cause" Leaks by "Exposing" them if TOO much Cleaning is achieved.. Same with me.. How di I knwo Sludge isnt preventing Leaks in my Perfect-sounding Engine, just about? .. I dont. So i wont -OD- on it (In Crankcase,) but Probably use once more. I dont know yet.

2) It goes out, along with its "Sludge," in the Oil Change. One MAY see some "Chunks" in the Flow from the Drain Bolt Hole to Oil Pan,, PROOF that its coming OU, IF there are any!! (I saw Black Oil, so it was likely -Suspended- in the Film! .. No Chunks. Thats good, surely. Unless i WANT to see Chunks, which i doont -necessarily- want to... See?)

3) It goes in Oil Filter but the best way to know is to Slice Filter Open and see.

Also, IF a "Big CHunk of Sludge" got "Knocked Loose" by being Dissolved by SeaFoam, AND Covered an Oil Passage way.. i would HOPE some "Hard Driving" and/or Revving Engine would Knock it loose AGAIN to go to: The Oil Pan, Filter.. Burn Off, etc.. as the SeaFoam probably Liquefies it, do it gets Suspended in the Oil.

Again.... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/
... But this seems to be what im getting.

It seems to be an Effective product that didnt work for some, and some dont [censored] ow its kind of like Laundry Detergent on a Dirty White T-Shirt. Is the T-shirt COMPLETELY WHITE if the T-Shirt has been Put in the Mud and Walked Over? Probably Not.. But its not as Dirty as it was! WHERE DID THE DIRT GO?? .. Down the Water Drain. DID THE DIRT PLUG UP THE WASHER? .. No.. There is a Filter...

Post 2 for me today.

NHHEMI.... http://yotatech.com/f105/sea-foam-do-you-want-truth-160613/
Isnt the "Manufacturer Site..." It is actually a Chemist and Car Worker that had a LOOONG Talk with one of the people tht DESIGNED SeaFoam, and it goes IN-DEPTH (If anyone will read it, i found it VERY Informative) on how SeaFoam will NOT "Eat Gaskets, Dissolve Seals, or cause Harm," but rather "Attack the Gum, Varnish, Sludge, Salt, etc." that is left behind as a by=product of Combustion of Foeul Air, etc.

It's actually more like a sales pitch than anything. Do you honestly believe that one of the people that designed and works for SeaFoam is going to do anything but praise and hype said product to a stranger over the phone?

It also echoes the experiences of those that have taken, oh, say, a Valve Cover Gasket off an Engine to see what they see (Some engines its REALLY Easy to do that) to look at the Valvetrain, fior a Telling look at the Condition of an Engine.. and were SUPRISED at either 1) How SLudged and Yucky it was (No Cleaning EVER,) OR 2( How GOOD it looked (SEAFOAM!!!)

Oh, say? For a telling look? Sludged and yucky? Hilarious.

So if a motor looks good when pulling the valve cover gasket on an engine where SeaFoam has been used, then it could only be the SeaFoam that is responsible? Is that what you're implying. Nah it couldn't be the detergents within the oil itself or simply long term use of a quality synthetic. It must be that magical cleaning power of SeaFoam.
smirk2.gif

.. And.. As to where all of the "Sludge" Went:

1) BURBNED OFF (People are missing this) .. Even MY Mechanic didnt want me to use it because he says "It HAS to go through the Exhaust Valves" .. I then used it after leaving his shop. I feel its "Cleaning" my car.. HOWEVER! i WILL use "Discretion," as Just like Synthetic Oil can "Cause" Leaks by "Exposing" them if TOO much Cleaning is achieved.. Same with me.. How di I knwo Sludge isnt preventing Leaks in my Perfect-sounding Engine, just about? .. I dont. So i wont -OD- on it (In Crankcase,) but Probably use once more. I dont know yet.

2) It goes out, along with its "Sludge," in the Oil Change. One MAY see some "Chunks" in the Flow from the Drain Bolt Hole to Oil Pan,, PROOF that its coming OU, IF there are any!! (I saw Black Oil, so it was likely -Suspended- in the Film! .. No Chunks. Thats good, surely. Unless i WANT to see Chunks, which i doont -necessarily- want to... See?)

3) It goes in Oil Filter but the best way to know is to Slice Filter Open and see.

Also, IF a "Big CHunk of Sludge" got "Knocked Loose" by being Dissolved by SeaFoam, AND Covered an Oil Passage way.. i would HOPE some "Hard Driving" and/or Revving Engine would Knock it loose AGAIN to go to: The Oil Pan, Filter.. Burn Off, etc.. as the SeaFoam probably Liquefies it, do it gets Suspended in the Oil.

The bold part sums up that section of your post. You hope, pray, and truly want to believe that something magical is happening in your motor by using SeaFoam, and your making stuff up to back up those hopes based on a random post in a discussion forum.

... But this seems to be what im getting.

It seems to be an Effective product that didnt work for some, and some dont [censored] ow its kind of like Laundry Detergent on a Dirty White T-Shirt. Is the T-shirt COMPLETELY WHITE if the T-Shirt has been Put in the Mud and Walked Over? Probably Not.. But its not as Dirty as it was! WHERE DID THE DIRT GO?? .. Down the Water Drain. DID THE DIRT PLUG UP THE WASHER? .. No.. There is a Filter...

Post 2 for me today.

I don't really know what to say about this last part so I'll just quote it for posterity.

Just ftr- I'm done with this thread, in case anyone is looking for me to comment.

The fact that Seafoam is carb cleaner, a product that cannot be used near rubber seals on brakes, says everything we need to know about using it in an engine with a complex and often fragile seal system.

NEHEMI cannot let the consensus come down on the side of Seafoam being bad for engine seals, since he's used it recklessly in so many people's cars. He also suffers from a slew of cognitive biases on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cognitive_biases

In particular:

Post-purchase rationalization
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Post-purchase rationalization is a common phenomenon after people have invested significant time, money, or effort in something to convince themselves that it must have been worth it. Many decisions are made emotionally, and so are often rationalized retrospectively in an attempt to justify the choice.[1]

This rationalization is based on the principle of commitment and the psychological desire to stay consistent to that commitment. Some authorities would also consider this rationalization a manifestation of cognitive dissonance.

-----------------------------------------------------

People here who are smart enough to realize this already know Seafoam does not belong in an engine.

People who "want to believe", I'm not wasting my time on them.
Enjoy your mushy seals.

I'm out.

I can honestly say that I believe Sea Foam is partially responsible for grenading a engine in the Mazda 6 community.

Here is my logic behind this.
The person used SF in the crankcase for the last 500 miles before he changed his oil.(5w20 weight).Now SF can reduce viscosity(if I am not mistaken) and being that the oil was probably at the end of it's useful life cycle,reducing the viscosity further could cause engine failure in my opinion.

A couple weeks after the SF was used the engine spun a few rod bearings and was destroyed.

I am against using the stuff,but I would like people to either provide logical reasons why my explanation could be flawed or to provide me with other reasons to remove all doubt that SeaFoam contributed to the engine coming apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back