Mixing Valvoline Max Life ATF with regular ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a drain and fill on the tranny on my newly acquired 1999 Toyota 4runner. Not sure what was in the tranny before, but it was still red and smelled nice and sweet.

Anyway, I filled it back up with Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc. Can this fluid be mixed with standard Dex if thats what was in the tranny?

Maybe a silly question, but it was kinda festering and didnt specify on the bottle. Trucks got 163k on it and I would like to see many more.

Thanks

did you maxlife atf smell auwful like mine did not the typical sweet smell usually with atf

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
did you maxlife atf smell auwful like mine did not the typical sweet smell usually with atf

Yea, I did notice the same smell the last time I bought regular ATF. I assume it smells that way to keep kiddies from drinking it.

Think I am okay with mixing it?

2much,
If your 4Runner requires DexIII/Merc, then the ValvMaxLife is fine and yes you can mix. MaxLife DexIII/Merc is a good ATF that is even fine for mixing with Toyota T-IV ATF. Keep the ATF changed out on a regular basis(Oh, IDK, every 30K-40K or sooner) and the tranny will outlast the rest of the vehicle. These are very tough vehicles.

Yes, it can be mixed.
Pull the pan for an inspection, magnet cleaning, and filter change.

Well the dipstick said Dex II, but the owners manual said Dex II or Dex III. I dont think that Dex II is even available anymore and is superceded by Dex III.

It all started as I've read numerous posts of the internal tranny cooler failing and mixing with the coolant creating a "strawberry milkshake". I bypassed the internal tranny cooler and ran an external one mounted in front of the AC condensor.

Anyway, I lost some fluid there and decided it wouldnt hurt to do a drain and fill and get some fresh fluid in there. Didnt actually drop the pan.

Afterward I was a little paranoid that I should have just got with standard Dex vs the Maxlife stuff.

Last edited:
I'd almost think that if your 4Runner requires DEX II/III, then you can use just about anything DEXRON, maybe even DEX VI.

Maxlife will work great. It is designed for older transmissions.
Do another D&R in a couple of weeks. What's the tranny capacity and how much did you drain?

Maxlife Dex/Merc is perfect for your tranny. However, doing a full fluid exchange is easy.

Procedure-
1. Drain the pan, refill (with Maxlife) through the dipstick the 4.5 - 5 quarts you drained.
2. Disconnect both rubber tranny cooling lines from the metal lines and attach clear vinyl tubing in their place and run both into an old clear milk jug.
3. Start the truck, in about 10 seconds the milk jug will be nearly full (it's helpful to have a second person start/stop the engine). You want to pump about 3 quarts out.
4. Refill 3 quarts through the dipstick.
5. Start the engine again and run out 3 quarts. (Don't forget to empty the milkjug each time...)
6. Refill.
7. Repeat for a total of 3 gallons (including the pan drain and fill. By the end the fluid will be crystal clear coming out (as visible through the clear vinyl tubing).
8. Reconnect the rubber tranny cooling lines and top up to the correct level.

I have used this method and it works GREAT...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Maxlife will work great. It is designed for older transmissions.
Do another D&R in a couple of weeks. What's the tranny capacity and how much did you drain?

It's hard to say. I bypassed the stock transmission cooler and added an aftermarket one. Overall I added about 4.25 qts. Right off the top of my head I think it takes around 15 qts total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back