2006 Honda Accord 4cyl, 99k miles - fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the requested template to ask for recommendations below.

I'd like advice on all fluids (and filters) for the car, since I just bought it at 99k miles and want to take great care of it and drive it for a couple 100k miles if possible.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
A. 2006 Honda Accord SE, 4cyl, Auto, 4dr

2. What your owner's manual says
A. The cars owners manual didn't come with the purchase - haven't been able to find one online.

3. Where you live
Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 70-95 highs in the summer, -20-35 lows in winter.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Tons of highway (avg 80mph), but enjoy zipping around town. Rarely redline if ever, but 3k-4k RPM regularly when on onramps. Redline maybe once every 2 months when the teenager in me creeps back in.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Ride to work is 35-45 mph up and down hills for 5 miles, but 600 mile round trip 1-3 times a month.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
I do want to note that when you turn on the car cold, there is a ticking sound that speeds up with the RPMs - perhaps valve tick? In any case, I've heard a lot of '06 4cyl accords that don't do that.

7. If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc.
My preference is whatever is best for the cars smoothness, quietness, and longevity. The convenience of longer periods between changes is secondary.

I have an 07 w/47k

Considering your short trips and cold winters, 20 weight is the way to go...for the winter.

I would say to use 20 weight all year, but have to note that 30 weight, esp 10w-30 runs very smooth.

I change on a time schedule, every 4 months with the idea of getting fresh 5w-20 in there for winter, so say around Thanksgiving. If you only do 10-12k a year, maybe 2 changes is enough. Maybe you drive more miles, but don't want to change every 5-6k, so synth is better for that. imo, more changes of dino works best.

Motorcraft makes a GREAT 5w-20 that is cheap. You can combine that with a premium filter with a silicone ADBV for winter and then reuse it or go back to a cheap filter for the other changes. Pennzoil has a new forrmula that claims sludge removal, maybe look at that. Brands are not super-important, try a few starting with one you know and like.

Since the car is new to you, I'd do a few more changes than is necessary to maybe clean things out a bit. Check the pcv valve and of course the air filter too.

Do the ATF 2-3 times with MaxLife. Only half of the fluid comes out at a time. 3q comes out 3q goes in. Make sure you are on level ground. Try to drive a bit inbetween the changes. After the first few, one 3q drain and fill a year will be perfect. It's an easy job after you get the drain bolt cracked the first time. All you need is a 3/8" ratchet and maybe a short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe to slip over the handle as an extender.

atf-honda
powersteering-honda
brake-any dot3/4 valvoline or prestone is good
air filter-oem
oil filter-pureone
oil-valvoline synpower(k series run really smooth with this oil)

Last edited:
At 99k, you should adjust the valve clearance. That should solve any engine noise problems. Don't listen to the people who say that brand X runs smoother/quieter, it's baloney. Proper valve clearance will make a difference, if that's the problem.

You are also due for new plugs and a serpentine belt at this mileage. Use the dealer plugs only.

For oil, use 5w-20 and service according to the maintenance minder.

Transmission fluid-- use the proper fluid and do a flush/3x drain and refills. Remember to clean the magnetic drain plug.

Brake fluid is also due every three years and should be completely flushed with DOT3 or DOT4 fluid.

Also replace the cabin air filter. It's an easy job that is often missed.

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
atf-honda
powersteering-honda
brake-any dot3/4 valvoline or prestone is good
air filter-oem
oil filter-pureone
oil-valvoline synpower(k series run really smooth with this oil)

What's the best place to source the Oil and Oil Filter?

I've pretty much completed the fluid replacement in my (much older) 1996 Honda Accord V6 (55,000 original miles) and after some debating decided to use Pennzoil Platinum with a Pure One filter (was originally going to stick with the PYB but took the plunge on the Platinum). I also freshened up the power steering fluid (use only Honda fluid here from what I'm told...this IS a special fluid and anything else can cause problems)and have performed 3 drain and fills with Redline D4 in the transmission. I've had the timing belt, water pump and other belts replaced as well due to age (the timing belt looked OK but it was original...not taking any chances with the recommendation for replacement being 90,000 miles OR 7 years). I have not done anything about the brake fluid (I've never had it replaced in any vehicle I've ever owned). I know this is recommended but what advantage does it provide? Is this something that I can do? Any ideas what a dealer or brake shop charges for this job?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Don't listen to the people who say that brand X runs smoother/quieter, it's baloney.

dont give me that placebo effect b.s.

if you can't feel any difference, thats YOU, NOT SOMEONE ELSE

you can get synpower almost everywhere
Pureone filter can be found on amazon or at K-Mart
The part number for your car is PL14610

Last edited:
I have an 05 and had an 03. Been wrenching Hondas longer than I would like to remember. ANY 5W20,5W30,or even a 5W40 and that K motor will live longer than you will. Keep the tranny serviced including the external filter. Use a good filter like Wix,Pure-one. I use the Amsoil EAO and change it every other oil change but they are not really needed for good service. In my shop I stock the Nippon oil filters for Hondas. I just cut one open that has been on a customer's car for 12K miles. NO distored media whatsoever. Excellent filter for the money. I really think the Honda type 2 coolant is the best thing going right now. Honda does more coolant testing than any manufacterer that I know of. I love my 05. It's a 5spd and is a hoot to drive. 38mpg on the road is a plus too.

Last edited:
"
What's the best place to source the Oil and Oil Filter?"

The Purolator filters are l14610 for the regular, pl14610 for the pure one. Amazon has the better of the two for under 10 bucks for two, free shipping at 25 bucks. Otherwise the NAPA/CarQuest/Wix (all the same) filters are quite good as well.

The oil, sadly, is almost always cheapest in 5 quart jugs at Walmart, though in Iowa I imagine you have Tractor Supply/Fleet Farm... etc that have good sales from time to time.

I'm also skeptical of "this oil runs quieter... etc" claims, for what it's worth I have the same car in a manual, I've run QS synthetic, PP and Mobil 1 all in 5-20 and couldn't tell a difference with a gun to my head.

Best of luck, though you won't really need it as these are bulletproof. I use Honda Power Steering and MTF, everything else is just decent aftermarket.

Last edited:
I always change auto tranny fluid once/year (about 30K miles) but I only use the Honda auto trans fluid--at 7 bucks a quart .

If you are interested in changing the trans filter-it is in the engine compartment near the driver's side wheel well and looks like a black in line gas filter, not like regular trans filter

i've only got 130K on mine-just breaking in

Steve

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Don't listen to the people who say that brand X runs smoother/quieter, it's baloney.

dont give me that placebo effect b.s.

if you can't feel any difference, thats YOU, NOT SOMEONE ELSE

you can get synpower almost everywhere
Pureone filter can be found on amazon or at K-Mart
The part number for your car is PL14610

Show me some proof that oils meeting the same grade and specifications make a difference in NVH.

Show me claims from major oil manufacturers. Show me SAE papers.

Until then, I am standing by what I said.

I have great service with Pennzoil, and Pure One, some oils have better add packs and that is what directs me to them. All this advice seems right on.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back