Anyone loyal to one brand of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a Castrol user for most of the past 20 years except for a short time using M1 in the early 90's on my then new 91 Pontiac Firebird Formula (5.7 with the TPI and Posi rear end..sweet!) . Now I use Trop Artic/Kendal 5w-30 in both my Nissan Frontier and Honda Odyssey.
burnout.gif

I am extremely loyal to Valvoline, Mobil1, Pennzoil, Supertech, Castrol, and Havoline......

Yup, extremely loyal.

I am a brand loyalist, but I reserve the right to change oils when I change cars.
I have two reasons:
1. This is the major reason! If you change oils every change, you can't really run catch changes in your car's performance quite as well.
Granted, the formulas do change every few months, but the THEORY of formulation usually stays the same during the minor revisions; the additives get changed to accomodate new commidity prices.
Notice the iron wear levels the same guy will have with let's say, Castrol GTX versus Mobil 1 or Redline are WILDLY different.
2. As I can avoid having quite as many formula changes, I can avoid having 10-20% of my OLD oil still stuck in the crankcase being formulated based on different theories. If I change brands EVERY oil change, this doesn't happen.

I am currently using Pennzoil 5W30 dino exclusively in both of my vehicles (04 Chev Cavalier and 99 Toyota Tercel)and expect that this practice will not change.

quote:

Originally posted by ddellwo:
I'm a Ford man through-and-through. Use nothing but Motorcraft oil and filters in my babies!

So your saying you use a Phillips/Conoco offering, and Purolator Filters, eh?
wink.gif

I was a Shell man. Dad worked for a distributor, and I never had an issue with any of the products, my favorite being 10-30 Rotella. I now have a boat load of Havoline from the AA closeout, a bunch of Delo from the AZ closeout, a recent score of PP from Home Depot (the Montana runs extremely well on it) and a bunch of east coast ST by Mobil. Without the benefit of employee discounts on Shell products, I'm loyal to closeout pricing!

Amsoil and Redline for substitution.. I try to always have an Amsoil even it's very hard to get that oil here..

quote:

Originally posted by 06RANGER:
Have you used one oil exclusively?

I think it just may be more useful to rephrase the question. Maybe ask instead what oil has enabled its user to drive on in 14 vehicles over 30 years with no major engine work, no overhauls. For me, it's been heavy Castrol 20w-50 dino oil. GTX.

Some of the time, I may use Castrol HD-30 in very hot weather. If working Up North during a particularly cold Winter, I may use GTX 5w-30, but I leave it in only for 2 months max (December and January).

Since coming into BITOG, I learn that there are other good oils besides Castrol. I use Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 now. I get to keep it in the engine longer because of its stronger add pack.

But if you ask me what product has made the greatest difference to my motorin' experience, I'd have to say, Castrol Motor Oil.

I have occasionally changed my preferences in motor oil as the decades have come and gone. What do I think now? I think any good quality conventional motor oil, regardless if it is Valvoline, Pennzoil, Chevron or whatever, will get the job done if you change oil in something like 3000 miles or so.

Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum will probably get the job done if you prefer a synthetic and if you use longer oil change intervals.

I am a big believer in synthetic oil in the wintertime even if you use conventional oil the rest of the year.

If I owned a Corvette I would use Mobil 1 for sure.

Brand loyalty IMHO is almost a one-way street, now-a-days!

I can't think of a corporation that has exhibited any true loyalty towards me in the past 5 years, or so...

Time was when you worked for an organization for a while you might feel some relationship that exceeded that of just a paycheck in return for your time & expertise.

I worked for Consolidated Freightways (and before that, 4 years @ Freightliner) for 10+ years, during which I saw it regress from being the top motor carrier in the US, a company known for a true organizational dedication to its employees, to being a hellish place to work, totally corrupted by the dominance of the finance/accounting beancounters. I got out (with my pension intact) and many of my friends and co-workers were not so lucky.

Brand loyalty to motor oil?

I like Chevron Supreme @ $0.59 per quart, Delo when an HDEO is indicated. I like Conoco semi-synthetics when I can get them for under a $. Amsoil products are excellent and I buy them when they are on sale/priced right.

Heinz catsup(ketchup?) is still my favorite!

Hellman's Mayo is Best Foods, East of the Mississippi, but Safeway Select is a better buy at $1 per quart...

Ruger. Kawasaki street bikes sinch 1975. I can go on.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back