Oil Recommendation for 2000 Lexus RX300 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need an oil recommendation for a 2000 Lexus RX300 AWD 3.0L
( 1MZFE). It has 145,000 miles. These engines are notorious for engine sludge if it has dino and long OCI's. I currently am using Pentosynth 5w-30. What oil recommendations do you have? I want a synthetic oil. I occasionally drive it hard but not always. No oil consumption. German Castrol is raved about on Club Lexus. I'm going to try Penzoil Ultra 5w-30 next time around. But I'm open to suggestions.

Penzoil Ultra sounds like a good oil to try - you do need a stout oil in there.

Toyo/Lexus engines 'seem' to do well on M1, as well.

I would recommend that you make SURE that the PCV system is working.
The PCV valve can become clogged......also the area above the rear valve cover baffel can become clogged.....blocking flow through the PCV line.......which will get you sludge (gel) in a hurry.
Keep that open.......and you should be fine....as long as you don't try to push the Oil Change Interval out too long.

In 2003, they went to a different PCV valve (metal that screws into the rear valve cover) and they also changed the baffel in the rear valve cover to improve drainage.......to prevent buildup.
2003 is not in the "gelling" program.......2002 is.

I would stick with 5K to 7.5K miles with a synthetic oil.
If the German Castrol is the bee's knees over on the lexus forums.....and they seem to know what they are talking about....then that would be a good oil.

I am using Redline 5W-30 in my 2003 Sienna.....same motor, 1MZFE......with the VVT-i

I found that the oil filter that my old '96 3.8L windstar used is a direct fit to the 1MZFE motor......EXACTLY same except that it is longer.....and fits with plenty of room to spare.
A size comparison.....

WIX 51516
If you compare that to the filter specifications on the WIX site for the 51348.....you will see that it is the SAME...except that the bigger filter lists slightly better filtration values.

Purolator Pure One PL20195
Fram Extended Guard XG3600

Some of the other pictures in this album.....particularly the motor might be of some help to you.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/576572371kcnZsT

I have stocked up a bunch of toyota filters so I'm going to use those first. But right now i have the Mobil 1 oversized filter. I will be checking if not replacing my pcv valve this weekend.

I also have an 01 RX-300 AWD. The longer filters are a bit too close the exhaust manifold for my liking. There is still room but, I stay with the standard size filter. Been using Purolator Classic, aka Premium Plus. Been using 2 qts PP 5W30 with 3 qts of name brand dino 5W30.

I thought that it would be too close.....but when I put it on.....there was still plenty of room.
I happened to have the longer filter......left over from my Windstar.......so there was no loss to trying it on.

I don't know that one will gain a lot from the longer filter.
The Toyota DENSO filter seems to be well regarded as a quality filter....and the price is very reasonable.

The motor in my Sienna will be IDENTICAL to the one in the RX300.
Personally, I think the RX series is the best looking SUV out there......I needed the room of a "soccer mom" minivan.
I have not been able to like the GX series SUV.....but the RX series just has class (my opinion).

I highly reccomend you stick with OEM for the PCV valve.

My daughter had a 99 RX 300 And I always used M1 10-30 with 10K OCIs with very good success. Sludge was not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back