Greatest single motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Why is every comparison of Harley to metric bikes based on how fast metric bikes are? Harley's were and remain the only true touring bikes made.

You're saying that the Honda Goldwing is not a "true" touring bike? It's is the best selling touring model made and has been chosen Best Touring Bike by Cycle World dozens of times and it's not a "true" touring bike? BTW, its made in America with more domestic content than any HD model.

IMHO, a "true" touring bike has a shaft drive only and since HD doesn't make a bike with shaft drive, they might not be considered a "true" touring bike.

Also, BMW basically invented the genre with their shaft driven R bikes in the '70s with their ability to go long distances break-down free and trouble-free.

The main reason these disagreements break out is because HD owners think their bikes are something they are not....

HDs are and remain a nice modern rendition of a "classic" American V-Twin - nothing more.

They are not a superbike, sportbike, sport-touring bike, streetfigher, adventure-touring bike, dirtbike, or "modern" (shaft-driven) touring bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Why is every comparison of Harley to metric bikes based on how fast metric bikes are? Harley's were and remain the only true touring bikes made.

You're saying that the Honda Goldwing is not a "true" touring bike? It's is the best selling touring model made and has been chosen Best Touring Bike by Cycle World dozens of times and it's not a "true" touring bike? BTW, its made in America with more domestic content than any HD model.

IMHO, a "true" touring bike has a shaft drive only and since HD doesn't make a bike with shaft drive, they might not be considered a "true" touring bike.

Also, BMW basically invented the genre with their shaft driven R bikes in the '70s with their ability to go long distances break-down free and trouble-free.

The main reason these disagreements break out is because HD owners think their bikes are something they are not....

HDs are and remain a nice modern rendition of a "classic" American V-Twin - nothing more.

They are not a superbike, sportbike, sport-touring bike, streetfigher, adventure-touring bike, dirtbike, or "modern" (shaft-driven) touring bike.

The marketing department of HD has done a wonderful job of having members drink the kool-aid. However, the more riders the better!

My vote stands with the Honda Cub as the single Greatest Motorcycle.

Emphasis added was mine.

Guys,

Can we all RESPECT each others FREEDOM to pick and ride whatever they want?

If someone whats to comment about a certain bike, please don't troll with that their comment is a piece of trash.

If you need to bump up your post count doing this, I promise you will not get the chance to post.

We NEED to RESPECT their choices.
cheers3.gif

Thank you, Bill

We were just having a lively discussion exchanging different viewpoints. I didn't think I was disrespecting anyone or felt I was. How else can we decide which best which one was the greatest?.,,

We were just having a lively discussion exchanging different viewpoints. I didn't think I was disrespecting anyone or felt I was. How else can we decide which best which one was the greatest?.,,

Was not directed just at you. It is for everyone to understand. We seem to be at a point here at BITOG that some "members" need to insult others because they own a certain brand/type of vehicle.

That if someone does not own brand x, here comes the insults.

Got to nip it so it does not get out of hand. We want everyone to enjoy their time here.
11.gif

Thanks, Bill

OK, this should be the end of the "Greatest Motorcycle" discussion 'cause there is no disputing this motorcycle's impact on the future of the motorsport. This is the incomparable MV Agusta 500cc three-cylinder racer ridden to many F.I.M. Grand Prix world victories by the legendary racer Giacomo Agostini --

mv-agusta-500.jpg

Pure Motorcycle Art -- Form and Function

Last edited:
As if any of you were wondering where Honda got it's ideas of how to build a motorcycle? This MV was their inspiration....

MV Agusta -- 63 Grand Prix World Championships, and 3000 wins still the unchallenged by any manufacturer.

BTW, MV Agusta is owned by none other than THE COMPANY....So essentially this is a pre-Harley !!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

We seem to be at a point here at BITOG that some "members" need to insult others because they own a certain brand/type of vehicle.

That if someone does not own brand x, here comes the insults.

Got to nip it so it does not get out of hand. We want everyone to enjoy their time here.
11.gif

Thanks, Bill

If it's 2 (or even 3 wheeled) with an engine that requires oil for lubrication, I like reading about it.

As if any of you were wondering where Honda got it's ideas of how to build a motorcycle? This MV was their inspiration....

MV Agusta -- 63 Grand Prix World Championships, and 3000 wins still the unchallenged by any manufacturer.

BTW, MV Agusta is owned by none other than THE COMPANY....So essentially this is a pre-Harley !!
Who'da thunk it?.,,,

I believe HD sold off MV Agusta a couple months before they shut down Buell.

I dunno. I've never considered a Harley before. But I know if I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'd rock an XR1200!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: boraticus

Not yet, read this from Yahoo News April 20th:

"Results included $35.4 million loss from discontinued operations, which includes MV Agusta, the Italian sport motorcycle that's up for sale."

They have discontinued operations, but still legally own the company.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Not yet, read this from Yahoo News April 20th:

"Results included $35.4 million loss from discontinued operations, which includes MV Agusta, the Italian sport motorcycle that's up for sale."

They have discontinued operations, but still legally own the company.

Good enough. I thought a European outfit was lined up to take MV off their hands. I assume it didn't materialize.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Is someone deleting posts again?

No I am moving them.

PLEASE read your PM why....

Any other comments you can PM me.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back