Put a Filtran inline filter on the '97 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of Filtran inline filters I got on Ebay a while ago, so I thought I'd install one on my '97 Crown Vic with 266,500 miles.

Because it's a P71 (cop car), it has an OE aux transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

My plan was to unhook one of the rubber lines from the aux cooler and start the engine to see which one was the feed and which was the return.

I pulled one of the lines off and...you've got to be kidding me...the barb from the aux cooler is still stuck in the hose! It just broke right off.

I decided to get an aftermarket transmission cooler to replace the OE one. I got a Hayden for $30 which is about the same size as the OE one, if not a little bigger. I checked Ebay but nobody was selling any OE transmission coolers for the '97 Crown Vic. Maybe they all break when you try to remove the hoses from them.

I disconnected the other hose and broke the barb off in that one too. I pulled the barb out of both hoses with pliers (which took some doing, they were in tight) and put a 5/16" hose splicer I got at NAPA in both hoses. Then I used some vinyl tubing to extend both hoses--one into a drain pan, the other into an empty 5-quart Mobil 1 jug.

I started the engine and 30 seconds later there was about 1 3/4 quarts of fluid in the Mobil 1 jug and about 1/4 quart of fluid on my driveway because the vinyl tubing didn't make a tight seal. Kitty liter, no problem.

Since the OE cooler also has the power steering cooler in it, I still had to use it so I mounted the aftermarket one in front of it using those plastic ties it came with.

I connected the filter to the feed line (using one of the short hoses it came with), mounted it on the cross-member behind the aux cooler with a couple of tie wraps, ran the output side to the bottom of the aftermarket cooler, connected the return side of the aux cooler (the top) with a loop of hose to keep from violating the 3" max bend radius, and tied that up with a tie-wrap.

I added two quarts of Mercon V and didn't bother to check the fluid level since I knew how much went into the 5-quart jug (it's marked on the side). It was a little under 2 quarts, plus the mess on the driveway, equals about 2 quarts total.

Then I let it idle for several minutes, found a hose clamp that needed a little more tightening, and then took it for a test drive. That's when I found that the OE cooler was still dripping transmission fluid out of the busted-off hose ports. I washed it down with the garden hose and stuck the hose into one of the OE cooler's hose ports and flushed it out with water in hopes of forcing out the rest of the transmission fluid that was still in it so it could stop dripping.

It may be my imagination but I think that the transmission is shifting better. It had an occasional harsh 1-2 shift (when warm) that seems to be getting better.

Is Filtran anything like Magnefine?,And have you since checked the fluid level and did you do only one cycle of new fluid or did you do a full fluid change?

I've heard that the Filtran is the same as the Magnefine. If it isn't, it does the same thing--a magnetic inline filter.

I've not checked the fluid level yet. My driveway is not level so I will check it at work tomorrow.

I did not do a full fluid change---only 2 quarts were removed and replaced.

Now that the inline filter is installed, it will be very easy to do future fluid changes. All I have to do is unhook the outlet hose from the filter and connect a length of 3/8" ID hose run to my 5-quart jug. Start the engine and shut it down when the jug is full. If I don't have a helper I'll figure out which fuse under the hood is for the PCM and pull that one to shut it down.

When I had the local trany shop do a filter and fluid change including draining the torque converter, I also told them to add a trany cooler. When they told me the price for the cooler I commented that it was high. They said that the add on trany coolers they has a temperature controlled by-pass that only add the additional cooling when it is required. This is better than a straight flow through cooler during cold start-ups. It cost more but is a better add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back