5 different Subaru filter options - cut open pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Didnt SOA discontinue the Purolator due to a high % of can-to-base crip leaks? I though this was folklore but an "ex" SOA Service manager ASE Master (and my indy mechanic) told me that's why they switched to Honeywell - Not cost. He did not produce a SOA bulletin as proof though. BTW a wix 51356 had to be removed from my 09 Forester due to gasket weeping. No problems with the honeywell 12A with the P-ring gasket. This gasket is often overlooked and arguably the MOST impostant part on the can! Gotta keep the oil IN the engine.

I've used 2 Purolator Classics on my forester, with the square gasket, neither of which experienced any weeping/leaking. The new honeywell made filters appear to be a well made filter. Definitely worthy of being included in your list of possible filter choices :)

Originally Posted By: webfors

By looking at the pics above, it's hard to make an argument in favor of a larger/longer filter when the smaller ones appear to have just as much, maybe even more, media.

But if you notice they have a thinner media vs the over sized/bigger can filter,no good in my book.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Didnt SOA discontinue the Purolator due to a high % of can-to-base crip leaks? I though this was folklore but an "ex" SOA Service manager ASE Master (and my indy mechanic) told me that's why they switched to Honeywell - Not cost. He did not produce a SOA bulletin as proof though. BTW a wix 51356 had to be removed from my 09 Forester due to gasket weeping. No problems with the honeywell 12A with the P-ring gasket. This gasket is often overlooked and arguably the MOST impostant part on the can! Gotta keep the oil IN the engine.

The Purolater Subaru OEM was part #15208AA09A. It only ran for a short time due to the enormous number of returns for leaks. The gaskets were contracted out by Purolater and were not built to Subaru spec nor were they built with any acceptable level of quality control.

I ran a Purolater PureOne PL14612 on my Subaru once. It weeped at the gasket. A family friend, a Master Subaru mechanic (15 years with Subaru), told me most aftermarket filters with the flat lathe-cut gaskets will leak on a Subaru. They often have very small deformations, divets, and chips in the rubber that you can't easily see. And if the gasket is thin then that just escalates the problem.

These defects can occasionally show up in the more expensive to produce p-cut round gaskets, but rarely so.

On most cars though, for whatever reason, flat lathe-cut gaskets do just fine.

Originally Posted By: daman

By looking at the pics above, it's hard to make an argument in favor of a larger/longer filter when the smaller ones appear to have just as much, maybe even more, media.

But if you notice they have a thinner media vs the over sized/bigger can filter,no good in my book.

The media is definitely thinner, but does it perform as well? There are 50% *more* pleats (34 versus 52) in the smaller Purolator, and 56 pleats in the Tokyo Roki. So I don't think you can choose one over the other based on the media surface area. But you may have an argument regarding efficiency ratings between the two. I don't see them listed on Purolator's website.

Originally Posted By: daman

The media is definitely thinner, but does it perform as well? There are 50% *more* pleats (34 versus 52) in the smaller Purolator, and 56 pleats in the Tokyo Roki. So I don't think you can choose one over the other based on the media surface area. But you may have an argument regarding efficiency ratings between the two. I don't see them listed on Purolator's website.

Yea thats what I'm getting at,IMO....thinner media is going to be less efficient at filtering then a thicker media,thats why i stopped using the NPS on my FORD tractor.

Since you have them all cut open, it's a simple measurement & calculation to get total media area for comparison.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Since you have them all cut open, it's a simple measurement & calculation to get total media area for comparison.

That's a dirty job with a knife. The quick math tells me what I need to know. Maybe this weekend I'll get bored and give it a go
grin2.gif

Let me predict, most to least media surface area:

Tokyo Roki, L14612, Napa Gold 1356, PH7317, L14610

Keep in mind that doesn't consider thickness of media. The Fram and L14610 use a thicker media than the rest, the L14610 being the thickest.

That's a dirty job with a knife. The quick math tells me what I need to know. Maybe this weekend I'll get bored and give it a go
grin2.gif

You can do it pretty accurately without cutting the media out and laying it flat. If you have a nice flat scale you can get the pleat depth and length for a "per pleat area", then calculate the total area knowing the number of pleats.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
What, no PureOne PL14610 or PL14459? I like the silicone ADBV and the better media.

Can't get P1's in Canada
frown.gif

Yes you can. Call Benson Auto Parts.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What, no PureOne PL14610 or PL14459? I like the silicone ADBV and the better media.

Can't get P1's in Canada
frown.gif

I called them a couple of months ago and they said they didn't carry them. Maybe it was a specific location you got them at? Either way, if I want P1's, I can get them across the border for around $5/filter.

grin2.gif

You can do it pretty accurately without cutting the media out and laying it flat. If you have a nice flat scale you can get the pleat depth and length for a "per pleat area", then calculate the total area knowing the number of pleats.

That would have to be a very flat/thin ruler to get the depth right.

After closer inspection of the unused Napa 1356, there are approximately 8 pleats that are *not* bonded to the top end cap completely. You can see where the glue stops and there's bare metal resulting in the outer pleat edge to be free, and could therefore pass unfiltered oil.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Can't get P1's in Canada
frown.gif

I called them a couple of months ago and they said they didn't carry them. Maybe it was a specific location you got them at? Either way, if I want P1's, I can get them across the border for around $5/filter.

Very odd. Any of their stores should be able to order them in. But you will pay for it. You will definitely get them MUCH cheaper through the US.

That Fram looks surprisingly good. Maybe I should've stocked up on a bunch of em when I saw them for $.50 each. I just grabbed all of the tough guards and extended guards instead, but those look perfectly fine. I know the TG7317 I cut open looked fine, even with the cardboard endcaps.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
That Fram looks surprisingly good. Maybe I should've stocked up on a bunch of em when I saw them for $.50 each. I just grabbed all of the tough guards and extended guards instead, but those look perfectly fine. I know the TG7317 I cut open looked fine, even with the cardboard endcaps.

It did look to be in very good shape. It saw approximately 6k miles through the winter on a Honda Civic.

grin2.gif

Keep in mind that doesn't consider thickness of media. The Fram and L14610 use a thicker media than the rest, the L14610 being the thickest.

That is very interesting. Years ago, the L 10193 along with several other low priced filters had twice the area of a PH 3950. I never did much on evaluating the quality of the media. That is the black hole of evaluating filters. Could well be the L 14610 with less of the thicker media is as good or better than the others. The current, or at least last years L 10193 had much less media than they used to. Better, worse, who knows? Nothing stays the same. Studies that include Purolators with the old assembly string tell us nothing about current filters.

In your other post, the reports of poorly sealed Napa Golds upsets me. Combined with River Rat's reports of leaky Wixes, I wonder what you are getting for the premium price. Wix and NAPA Gold have long enjoyed respect here. There was a time when price and quality seemed to match.

For my EJ 18 (and EJ 22's as well I think) one can get the regular filters, but one can also get the filters that are about 50% larger that are the filters for the subaru SVX 6 cylinder boxer; i believe i might have tried this out once.

you DON'T want to use the H6 (15208AA031) oil filter on a 4 cylinder... the thread offset is different and the result is, the oil filter barely threads on and gets tight! so while it "fits", it's NOT safe to do so

I suggest using a Mazda 626 V6 filter instead... it is just a taller version of the stock subaru/mazda 4 cylinder filter with the same relief valve specs

correction... don't use the 626 V6 filter, use the 2009+ RX-8 filter... the 626 V6 filter has a 12-17 psi relief valve setting, which is too low for subarus... the 2009+ RX-8 filter will have the correct relief valve setting at 20-26psi

it is a tokyo roki filter and the diameter is the same as the stock subaru one... just taller, not fatter like the H6 filter... thread offset and thread pitch are the same! mazda part number is N3R1-14-302 :)

Originally Posted By: TheMAN
correction... don't use the 626 V6 filter, use the 2009+ RX-8 filter... the 626 V6 filter has a 12-17 psi relief valve setting, which is too low for subarus... the 2009+ RX-8 filter will have the correct relief valve setting at 20-26psi

it is a tokyo roki filter and the diameter is the same as the stock subaru one... just taller, not fatter like the H6 filter... thread offset and thread pitch are the same! mazda part number is N3R1-14-302 :)

Nice to see another Tokyo Roki filter option with the N3R1-14-302. They make great filters and would be my first choice. I'll have to start calling my local Mazda dealers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back