How well does a BG machine flush cooling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The radiator shop we used to flush the cooling system on our vehicles every 3 years is out of business.

My new mechanic has a BG cooling system flush machine. I have never had our vehicle serviced by one of these machines. The radiator shop flushed the engine and heater core, and then pulled the radiator and dis-assembled it and flushed out the passages, and re-assembled it, and painted it. I do not expect any machine to do as good a job as that would do.

Does anyone have experience with the results of using the BG cooling system flush machine on vehicles. We have a 2001 Impala with the 3400 engine, original radiator, flushed three times so far, and a 1985 Olds with a 9 year old Modine gold bata weld radiator that was flushed twice.

Both are due for a flush now, and I am thinking of having them done with the BG machine.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
BG machine works like any other. It will do just fine. Seriously all of the wynns and BG machines come from the same manufacture.

Is it really a flush machine or just an exchange machine? I have never seen another flushing machine other than the one I use at work.

Most are just a coolant exchange machine.

Thats what it is, a coolant exchange machine. BG calls it a flush as their cooling system flush is usually used and then the system is exchanged.

so does the BG machine, the additive is for the coolant itself. I don't use it as I have other additives that must be used on diesels

I've seen a vacuum-powered coolant exchanger at work, they actually get out almost all the coolant out of the system.

A flush to me is when you do multiple drain/fills with water after draining the old fill and running any flushing chemicals.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is it really a flush machine or just an exchange machine? I have never seen another flushing machine other than the one I use at work.

Most are just a coolant exchange machine.

Good question, I will have to look into that.

Thanks everyone.

I guess what I realy should look for now is another good radiator shop in the Pittsburgh PA area, perferably in the southern part of Pittsburgh.

The question is, why do you need such an invasive flush?

A properly maintained system will not have such severe build-up that a compressed air or manual flush would be needed.

My cooling system was still clean after 15 years of only seeing occasional drain and refills with the proper Dexcool coolant and perhaps two or three over-the-counter chemical cleaners.

Our BG machine offers a hard rinse. Basically it's high pressure. I dont use that function EVER. I will sometimes use a chemcal from BG and it's pretty mild.

If I really want to clean a system liquid Cascade is the ticket and it wont harm other components.. After I rid the detergent then I exchange the new coolant in and proper SCA additives.

For us it's based soley on the condition of the system and service history.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The question is, why do you need such an invasive flush?

A properly maintained system will not have such severe build-up that a compressed air or manual flush would be needed.

My cooling system was still clean after 15 years of only seeing occasional drain and refills with the proper Dexcool coolant and perhaps two or three over-the-counter chemical cleaners.

Critic, I do not mean to get on you case, but you do not drive a vehicle in mountains like Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

The mountains surrounding Pittsburgh require you to travel up and down them on a regular basis. When you make your vehicle climb a mountain it is putting out the kind of power you would use to go 80 MPH on a highway, but you may only be going 35 MPH up the hill, and when you get to the top you can end up at a complete stop waiting for a traffic light. Combine climbing to the top of a mountain on a 99 degree F day with the AC running, and you had better have a cooling system that is very well maintained.

Every summer there are vehicles of all makes and models that end up stranded on the side of the road on hot days. Climbing mountains on hot days with AC on taxes a vehicles cooling system far more than traveling 80 + MPH on some flat level highway with air rushing through the radiator, and over the engine.

I have been driving in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for over 35 years and one of the important maintenance things I have learned is to flush the cooling system on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Our BG machine offers a hard rinse. Basically it's high pressure. I dont use that function EVER. I will sometimes use a chemcal from BG and it's pretty mild.

If I really want to clean a system liquid Cascade is the ticket and it wont harm other components.. After I rid the detergent then I exchange the new coolant in and proper SCA additives.

For us it's based soley on the condition of the system and service history.

I like the liquid Cascade idea, thanks for passing that on. I never heard of that before. I will mention it to my mechanic.

DieselTech,

For a car, how much liquid Cascade would you use?

Would you first drain the coolant, and fill with water?

And would you run the engine for a few minutes, or for several days?

Jim I also replied to your PM

Yes you will want to drain the coolant and flush as much out as you can. Then add 16ozs or so of liquid cascade to the system and refill with water. Get vehicle back upto temp and drive for a few miles ( I usually say 15-20 minutes ). Drain the system while hot, then just continue flushing to get all cascade and debris out of the system. After that then fill with your coolant.

It seemed weired to me at first but when I had a truck come in that went from TX to AZ with a blown headgasket. Th coolong system was just an UGLY goopy mess. So I made a call to a buddy that works for cummins and he gave me this idea. I did it and was F'ing amazed at the results.

Last edited:
I think it is interesting that an electric dishwashing soap would be used like this. When I was a kid my Grandfather still had an appliance store that he owned for many years. In the back of the store, he had a 55 gallon drum of water with creosote in it that was used to clean parts. I think electric dishwashing soap is basically creosote but I could be wrong. It would make sense. Electric dishwashing soap does not have to be mild enough for a persons hands to be submersed in.

I recently found out that electric dishwashing soap is great for cleaning coffee or tea stains out of mugs. Just put about a spoon full in a large bowl with hot tap water and soak overnight.

I think the liquid Cascade is even better because sometimes some of the granules of powder electric dishwashing soap do not dissolve.

Yeah after running a strong cleaner like dishwashing machine soap, you should have a cooling system clean enough to eat off of lol.

Hi folks... I wonder after 3+ years if I should resurrect this thread, or start a new one???

I have many 6.2 and 6.5TD Chevy trucks, mostly Suburbans and 1 Silverado pickup. the pickup has 283k, and was really well maintained, and all my trucks are from out west, so zero rust. They also have around 250k miles. I live in the Adirondacks, so it's a rusty as the rust belt gets!

Anyhow, one thing on the rig wasn't maintained, and that's the coolant! It's brown yukky junk, so I was going to run some coolant flush after I dumped the slime, but I was wondering if I could get access to a coolant flush/filter machine...

I'm formerly an ASE mechanic, and do ALL of my own repairs and maintenance, and am really averse to using the services of any repair shop. But if I must...

Another issue is that to drain the block, the 6.2 & 6.5's use a small allen plug totally hidden behind the engine mount, so short of jacking up the engine, one can't drain the block. Too bad.

So do the coolant flush machines Jiffy and the like promote hook up to the heater hoses and run cleaner (Cascade
grin.gif
) or some nasty chemical?

On another note, I was watching a Jay Leno video on yt about a Gano Coolant filter. After much searching, I finally spoke with the Gano folks. They make these clear or solid metal filter screens, but it's a small operation, and they keep little stock. I will be ordering one for my '84 Suburban 6.2, and report results.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/cooling-system-filtration/1204259/

I'd give you a link to their web page, but it's down, sorry. You can call them at 831-659-1961 email [email protected].

They only accept payment by check (by mail), no paypal or credit cards. P O Box 1502, Carmel California 93924

The filters come in clear or brass or aluminum. I'll show my results when I get one. They're $35 each, + $5.50 SH

Last edited:
There is another company that has one that goes in the heater line, which I think would be a better place.

But for modern cars that use extended life coolant and don't have a problem like sludge from a DexCool & intake manifold gasket leak, is this a solution looking for a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back