What's the best oil for 98 Honda Accord v6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. 1998 Honda Accord v6 2DR
2. I am too lazy to go look in the manual at this time.
3. Currently residing in Chicago, IL
4. I drive normal.
5. City driving, college/work, a lot of signals...
6. High mileage, 186,000 miles.

Which High mileage oil would you recommend for my Honda? I've used Castrol GTX HM, and Pennzoil HM in the past. The car has had 2 owners before me, so I don't know the history well but I've had it for the last 46k miles.

I need to know the best oil for my car, least engine wear, smoother, the best overall oil for my baby.

Last edited:
Is the engine consuming oil to any great degree?
If not, use any 5W-30.
The Honda is not really picky about oil, although a farily thin "starburst" oil would probably make the engine feel more responsive and might provide a barely noticeable improvement in fuel economy.
I have an Accord of the same generation, although it is a 4 cyl.
It seems happy on anything from M1 0W-30 to M1 15W-50.
If you want a heavier 30W, both of our Accords were happy and smooth with GC.
You also can't go wrong with PP, Ultra, Edge or even the less-loved Synpower or US made Syntec.
In dinos, PYB, QS, MC5K as well as a host of others have provided really good UOAs in various applications.
If it were mine, I'd use any of the above oils, based upon price and availability.

a good 5W-30 conventional oil will do.

OCI 3,500-4,000

MC5K,PYB,QSGB and VWB.

Andy

I've had great luck with Amsoil ACD for the TL from new to 75,000 miles. It's now on Redline 5w-30 and running great. At 90,000 miles it looks like you took a brand new engine and dumped clean oil on it. Never has consumed any measurable amount of oil. It's still as quiet as the day I bought it.

Is Pennzoil HM good? I read somewhere that Pennzoil has improved their formula recently, and even added Ultra to the line up which beats all the other oils out there?

I've never added Fully synthetic oil to the car, so I don't think Ultra would work for me, it would cause a leak or something with a 186k miles on the engine.

I have a '00 Accord V6 here in the North Suburbs of Chicago. Original owner and I ran it on PYB & PP for the first 5 years, and have since been using M1. I have not noticed any difference between the oils. No starting issues, cleanliness, burning, nothing. Unless you have problems, run whatever you want and change it at normal intervals. I change mine 6-7k, when the idiot light begins to flicker. K&N or Mobil-1 oil filter, I got 6 of them when AAP & Autozone were running the Castrol 5 quart & K&N filter special. The J30A1, is not a high performance/maintenance engine. Just do routine maintenance and it will outlast everything on the vehicle especially the poorly designed transmissions.

Last edited:
I just picked a bottle of the new Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 and put that in, hoping to see it clear up some gunk from the car.

Hey typ901, any recommendations for good mechanics in nortwest suburbs chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back