Mopar Gear Oil for rear Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXW

Ok gents been reading inside BITOG for more than several years now and I am jumping into my first post.

Bought a 2005 Ram 2500 (6M) QC long bed 5.9 CTD with 97,400 miles on the clock.I would like to change the fluids in the diff's and the tsfr case and it was suggested by a long time Dodge person that I stick with Mopar fluids. I will be towing a horse trailer, less than 10,000lbs. Question: Does anybody know who makes Mopar gear lubes? Outside of Mopar what recommendations do you gents have based on tried and true, same truck, similiar miles?

We use redline in every dodge that comes in and they tow alot more then 10k

Redline
Amsoil sever gear
M1

You can save a bit of money by going for another name brand besides Mopar. I would go Pennzoil or Valvoline myself.

Red Line and Amsoil Severe Gear are so cheap (comparatively speaking) on the internet for the 75W-140 weight, and diff fluid is changed so infrequently, I can't see a valid argument against them.

Ive used Mobil 1 75w90 and Royal Purple 75w90, I am going to try Amsoil next. Dodge reccomends you change it every 15,000 miles which is overkill for any of the above. I have a 2006 2500 and pull a 9,500 lb trailer. No problems so far.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Red Line and Amsoil Severe Gear are so cheap (comparatively speaking) on the internet for the 75W-140 weight, and diff fluid is changed so infrequently, I can't see a valid argument against them.

I agree we use the best gear lubes on the market and I'm far less then the dealer is for the same service. Fords and dodges get Redline, and right now I have a few cases sever gear 75-110 that the Dmax's are getting. After thats gone it will be strictly redline. These guys are grossing over 30,000lbs pretty often so I'm sold on the ester in RL.

Amsoil has a Gear oil white paper that shows comparisons to other oils including factory lubes.

The factory oils are not made by the car MFGs. They are waaay over priced and not nearly the best.

Enter: Amsoil gear oil white paper into Google

Mopar comes in near last.

I drive a 2001 Dakota, not a Ram but I use Valvoline conventional 75W90 in the rear differential. Mine is a 2 wheel drive and I don't tow anything but even so I still change it every 12,000 miles. It takes 2 quarts of gear oil and they cost about $6.00 each at Autozone. For me it is just cheap insurance and is something I can do to help my truck run better and last longer. I also enjoy being able to inspect the rear end gears for worn teeth, chips or other damage. The odd thing is Autozone is the only parts store around here that sells Valvoline 75W90 gear oil.

Off topic, the Mopar Manual Transmission Lube for my truck costs about $18.00 a quart at the Dodge dealer. I buy Pennzoil Synchromesh at Napa for less than half that and my transmission runs smooth as silk and shifts very easily on Synchromesh. It was kind of notchy and had more friction when shifting, especially when it was cold when I used Mopar MTL. I have an NV 3500 and it is noisy to begin with, but Synchromesh is very good for it.

So I agree with the others here, just because it says Mopar on the container does not make it a better lubricant. But even though I have never used them I also have my reservations on the more expensive aftermarket fluids and lubes too. I am sure Redline, Amsoil, Mobil etc are good and they would do fine for towing your horse trailer, but I have been using Valvoline and Pennzoil Synchromesh for a really long time and they work very well for my truck. Valvoline and Synchromesh would very likely still do just as well if I were towing a trailer, boat, etc.

Also off topic, but I do get the Mopar sealant for my rear differential from the Dodge dealer. It costs about 10 bucks for the tube but one tube will do the differential job about 3 times so it is worth it. I use it because it is made especially for use with gear oil.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum..

I've been having good luck with Motorcraft TA-31, the 7.3 oil pan sealant. Never tried the Right Stuff though.

Originally Posted By: JXW
Ok gents been reading inside BITOG for more than several years now and I am jumping into my first post.

Bought a 2005 Ram 2500 (6M) QC long bed 5.9 CTD with 97,400 miles on the clock.I would like to change the fluids in the diff's and the tsfr case and it was suggested by a long time Dodge person that I stick with Mopar fluids. I will be towing a horse trailer, less than 10,000lbs. Question: Does anybody know who makes Mopar gear lubes? Outside of Mopar what recommendations do you gents have based on tried and true, same truck, similiar miles?

The MOPAR stuff is nothing special but it is priced as if it is. Look at RP, Redline, or Amsoil. Much better products for a fraction of the cost as others have said. I have used RP MaxGear in all of my Rams( 7 )and Silverados( 2 )and it has worked great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Amsoil has a Gear oil white paper that shows comparisons to other oils including factory lubes.

The factory oils are not made by the car MFGs. They are waaay over priced and not nearly the best.

Enter: Amsoil gear oil white paper into Google

Mopar comes in near last.

NOTE - I am not bashing the poster I quote above when I reply below although it may sound like it at times. Just using what he posted to make a point about those darned White Papers constantly being thrown around as the holy bible of gear oils. Nothing personal intended oilboy123.

To the OP asking about oils in response to this post I quote above...

I personally would not put complete/much faith into the results you read about if you do look at that report. It is one report commissioned by Amsoil and the results/data they get vary greatly from the results/data provided by many of their competitors. When it was discussed here after coming out I did some checking of their results against what the other mfg's reported( on their own product )and found glaring inconsistancies. I for one will put my faith into the mfg making the product vs a competitor with a history of false/misleading claims about their competitors products and even their own( countdown until the Amsoil crowd calls false BUT it is not and they have done it many times - been discussed here by others so not just me saying it ).

So many people treat the white papers like it is the holy bible of gear oils it is not funny. Have questions about a gear oil? Just look at Amsoil's white papers and it will tell you all you need to know. That is such utter rubbish it makes me want to
37.gif
The white papers have a place as ONE place to check/research for sure but they are not to be taken as 100% accurate or as gospel truth over all others.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Where did redline come in.........LMAO

#2 in most of those comparison tests on that Amsoil Gear lube article, IIRC...but I can't see much difference between #1 and #2 myself...that would be really splitting hairs.
To the OP, listen to all the posters here with regards to their choices they have outlined...Mopar lubes are overpriced for sure
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I personally would not put complete/much faith into the results you read about if you do look at that report. It is one report commissioned by Amsoil and the results/data they get vary greatly from the results/data provided by many of their competitors. When it was discussed here after coming out I did some checking of their results against what the other mfg's reported( on their own product )and found glaring inconsistancies. I for one will put my faith into the mfg making the product vs a competitor with a history of false/misleading claims about their competitors products and even their own( countdown until the Amsoil crowd calls false BUT it is not and they have done it many times - been discussed here by others so not just me saying it ).

I like Amsoil and occasionally use their products, but I take their bench tests/white papers/marketing material with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I've been having good luck with Motorcraft TA-31, the 7.3 oil pan sealant. Never tried the Right Stuff though.

TA-31 gets used on all of our engine builds. I like RS for diffs as it sets up much faster and dries a little harder then TA does. RS is also a little less expensive.

Since we change rear end oil so infrequently, step up to the aftermarket like Amsoil or Redline.
You will have superb lube, and maybe save money in this case.

NHHEMI you can bash Amsoil's test all you want. But show me any other company that even comes close in their testing. They had the test done by a third party.
Like any testing it's not perfect but show me any other company that has a real test with enough guts to lay it all on the line.
All I hear is an echo.....I guess there is none?

All I know is that I feel confident I'm not getting ripped off by the MFGs that want to stick it to you. $11.75 for Amsoil and $20.94 for the Mopar that test 2nd to last out of 14 oils.
Three of those gear lubes were petroleum and cost less than$6 a qt, ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back