Dorman Parts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to sell some of their brake stuff and auto hardware. Nothing bad about their stuff as I recall. It is DORMAN btw( edit - never mind just a typo in your actual post I guess - you got it right in the title ).

Last edited:
Dorman makes a replacement overflow tank for my Taurus. I put it on after the OEM one failed (tank level sensor) 1.5 years ago. Good quality!

Doesn't Dorman make the HELP! stuff that you used to see on the shelves? PCV elbows, door handles, etc?

Something tells me they likely are an OEM manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Doesn't Dorman make the HELP! stuff that you used to see on the shelves? PCV elbows, door handles, etc?

Something tells me they likely are an OEM manufacturer.

Yes, they offer a lot of that type of stuff. Used to be in orange( maybe with a little blue )packaging when I sold it.

most of their stuff is good. their intake manifolds for the modular motors are meh at best. for your average user its probably fine, but they seem to not be able to hold as much boost as the factory ones. plus they use a stupid proprietary gasket for where it bolts to the cylinder heads that you can get separate and they don't work with the factory ones.

Im thinking about getting control arms ...

I need to chose best ..

DORMAN
BECK/ARNLEY
MEVOTECH

any tips ?

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Do you have any experience with doorman parts ?

I grew up near the Dorman Products factory in Fairfax, Ohio.

The Dorman family sold the business some years ago, and the current owners use the brand on parts they source from all around the globe.

They seem to be a good source for otherwise hard-to-find parts.

I keep a selection, for example, of their door trim fasteners in my workshop.

I like their fasteners and hard metal parts, like a brake caliper bracket or such....

we have used their control arms, and while they might not have the best possible parts on them, they have all worked good.......

It seems that they may reverse engineer or buy the blueprints to various parts. Ive heard good things and good warranties on some of their parts, like window regulators...

When I used to work at my Dad's shop after school (30 years ago), all I remember using were Dorman freeze plugs, cotter pins, misc brake hardware, etc. This was before they got into the replacement oil pan, window regulator business.

I would choose Dorman parts without hesitation today.
thumbsup2.gif

Dorman used to be a great name in "small parts," fasteners, freeze plugs, brass and copper fittings, draincocks, threaded plugs, cotter pins, the like. Parts stores would have a whole wall with chest-high drawer racks in orange and blue labeled "Dorman" on the front. Always top-quality parts.

Today, the name is the only thing left. The real Dorman company no longer exists, it was sold years ago. They are still a source for hard-to-find parts, but quality is hit and miss at best. Mostly chinese-made stuff. Buyer beware, don't trust the name anymore.

I need to chose best ..

DORMAN
BECK/ARNLEY
MEVOTECH

any tips ?

I would use the Beck/Arnley if the OEM parts were good.

If not, using the Mevotech or Dorman parts are worth trying, I guess.

You can't buy MOOG for your car?

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
Dorman makes a replacement overflow tank for my Taurus. I put it on after the OEM one failed (tank level sensor) 1.5 years ago. Good quality!

The Dorman tank I tried on my Taurus said made in China and leaked at the seam weld.
Sometimes the made in China stuff is not bad.
I just got one at the Ford Dealer.

Hit or miss. Fasteners and odds and ends have been fine. The Dorman coolant pressure bottle for my Cherokee failed in two weeks, so did the warranty replacement, and that was the end of that experiment. The tranny lines for the Jeep have been fine though, but the customer service/tech service is non-existant. Never did get an answer back on my technical question.

I need to chose best ..

DORMAN
BECK/ARNLEY
MEVOTECH

any tips ?

Yes buy OEM (not OE brand) or Moog if you are going to keep the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

I need to chose best ..

DORMAN
BECK/ARNLEY
MEVOTECH

any tips ?

Yes buy OEM (not OE brand) or Moog if you are going to keep the car.

If you were to rate any of the above on a scale of 1-10, 10 being OEM quality, I'd put Beck/Arnley as a 9.8. They have yet to disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back