Toro Snowblower - Auger Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the manual for my Toro 826OE snow blower, the section on Auger Gearbox Oil says this:

"Use GL-5, GL-6, SAE 85-95 EP gear oil lubricant until the point of overflow. NOTE: do not use synthetic oil"

Why can't I use synthetic gear oil? What will happen if I do? I've never seen any maintenance instructions explicitly telling the consumer NOT to use synthetic oil.

Any ideas?

That is likely old info from back in the day when they worried about seal leakage. I suspect you could use any oil in there. I have not even check the level in my Honda blower in 25 years...

Why do you want to use synthetic?

Last edited:
I've yet to go looking for the replacement oil. I just got his snow blower handed down to me from my step dad, but I just wanted to use what I have kicking around from my truck, if it meets specs. I haven't ventured out to see if my truck's gear oil is the right stuff, but if it is, it saves me some money and a trip to the store.

The auger drive is a worm gear, which is very inefficient and hard on lube.

The most important part of that spec is the "EP" part. Feel lucky that GL-5 is allowed.

My Toro is a 1986 model and I think it pre-dates GL-5. It's got soft metal parts in it somewhere, I think, and I've had a tough time finding a GL-4 EP rated lubricant in Canada. I think Amsoil has one.

If the gear oil level is up and it's not leaking, leave it as is. The factory fill will probably last the life of the machine. I've inspected the oil in the auger drives on three snow throwers and have never drained nor refilled one in over twenty five years. That gear oil is no more subject to abuse than gear oil in the rear end of an automobile. Car/truck differentials often go tens of thousands of miles on the same gear lube and I bet plenty get into a hundred thousand or more. Why would a few hours a year in a snow thrower auger drive be any harder on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back