Equus-Innova 3160 vs 3140?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much decided on biting the bullet and getting a code scanner I narrowed it down to these two Equus 3160 vs 3140.

The 3160 can diagnose ABS codes.

The 3140 can also work on engines prior to 1996. It also says it can do this. This device not only scans your vehicle, it also allows you to freeze-frame live timing and pinpoint your vehicle's problem. Instead of having to recreate a scenario over and over again, you can now playback the timing to scrutinize all the data and make a clear diagnosis.

Which of the two is the better choice for 1996 and newer?

Shipped they are about $200, they are about the same price. I guess my limit would be about $250 max.

3160 can do ABS but only for some select domestic cars; if your cars are covered, go for that model.

Also look at Autel models such as AL 510 Pro and/or Harbor Frieght Centech 98614 which does everything that 3140 does and costs about $100 when on sale and using 20% off coupon.

But you will NOT go wrong with your Innova selection.

- Vikas

Unless you want OBD-I support, skip 3140. If you want ABS for domestic models, go for 3160 for $185 shipped from Amazon or 3130 for $150 shipped from Amazon.

Thanks Vikas. I have one of those scanners that you count how many times a blinking red light blinks for the older vehicles I own. It is a PITA to use. Odds are next vehicle I buy will be either be new Ford or Jeep, or a used late model Ford.

Will the 3160 freeze-frame live timing and pinpoint your vehicle's problem? If so I am probably better off going for that.

Thanks!

I believe all 3130, 3140 and 3160 have the freeze frame and live data capability. If you have older than 1996 domestic car, you can use 3140 for OBD-I support and if you have newer than 1996 domestic car, you can get ABS using 3160. If you don't care for either, you can save money with 3130.

The only odd thing about those Equus scanners is that they still use serial port to connect to computer. Competitor models use USB but you can always buy USB->Serial dongle cheap if your computer does not have serial port. Besides, you rarely need it to connect to the computer.

Trust me, you would have lot of fun with a decent scanner; you will find even more things to worry about after looking at all the border line test results :) Seriously, if one is even remotely interested in tinkering with his vehicle or just to keep his mechanic honest, he needs a good scanner (or two or three or four, that is my limit :)

- Vikas

I have a 3130 and it really doesn't give you much info. I bought mine used and paid $60 for it.

I was waiting for you to show up, TheCritic :)

Are you comparing 3130 to "Snap-On" (or eqvt)? At least on the paper, 3130 supports all mode except Mode 8 i.e. bi-directional control and no onscreen graphing. Most importantly, it has live data and Mode 6 test results which many of the cheaper scanner lacks.

Tell us which specific information is lacking for Equus 3130. I do not personally own one but you do, so I would appreciate your input.

If your expectation were for high priced professional scanner, then ya, 3130 does not cut it. But those costs thousands of dollars with all the modules and the yearly updates.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back