German Castrol 0w30 data!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
Patman:

Send me an e-mail. I'll unzip and translate it for you!

I just sent it to you now. Sorry for the delay, I've been running around all day (had to drop my car off at the GM dealer for a water pump repair and borrowed my mom's car to do some errands)

I just noticed that this German 0w30 is ACEA A3-98, so that means it doesn't need to be 3.5 or higher for the HTHS number.
frown.gif

dragboat, the specs for the Syntec 0w-40 are:
ACEA A3,B3,B4
API SL CF
MB 229.3 BMW Longlife and Diesel M51
Porsche cars approved
Rolls Royce
VW 502.00 503.01 and 505.00
Vis @40 C 73.6
Vis @100C 12.9
CCS @-35C 5,200
HT/HS 3.6
Pour Pt. -54C
TBN 10.3
These specs came from the Australian Castrol Web Site. I doubt that Castrol sells much 0w-40 in Australia so I would think that this is the same oil sold in Europe.

dragboat, did you ask how much this oil cost? I just bought five quarts of Mobil1 SS 0w-40 for my BMW 318i and I plan to do an analysis in about nine months when the oil change light comes on.

Sin City ,

Thanks for the data sheet. I sure wish the Delvac 1 looked more like that,,,that's another topic.

The oil though is 4.90 per quart and comes in cases of 6,,in those funky looking bottles.A casrol Marketer can get this oil for any one who wishes for it,,dunno about the 0/30" did not ask" though because I called to ask about another product and learned by accident they had the 0/40

On another note,Valvoline sells the Euro 0/30 they offer in the USA. It's at the better MB Dealers in bulk,,I say better because the OKC area has but one MB Dealer and they have not heard of it,,I told them I think soon they will.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
The oil though is 4.90 per quart and comes in cases of 6,,in those funky looking bottles.A casrol Marketer can get this oil for any one who wishes for it,,dunno about the 0/30" did not ask" though because I called to ask about another product and learned by accident they had the 0/40

dragboat, I e-mailed Castrol in Germany last night and requested the data sheet for the Formula RS 0w40. The sheet they sent me is in German, but here's the relevant data. It doesn't appear to be exactly the same as what's sold in Australia. Check the bottles when you get it and see if it says made in Germany.

Castrol Formula RS 0w40

Pour Point: -61*C
Falshpoint: 236*C
Viscosity @ 40*C: 75.2
Viscosity @ 100*C: 12.9
Cold Cranking Vis @ -30*C: 3250
Viscosity Index: 173
TBN: 11.1

English translation of complete data sheet for SLX 0W-30

Product information - engine oils - Castrol FORMULA SLX

Type: Full synthetic motor oil with special, advantageous properties
SAE class: 0W -30
Performance classifications: API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4
Specifications: Release in accordance with Mercedes Benz fuel regulations sheet 229.3 for all MT passenger car engines; Releases in accordance with VOLKSWAGEN standards 502 00 and 505 00 (edition 1/97) and 503 01 (edition 09/99) for AUDI S3 and TT (165 KW/225 HP), R-S 4, w engines with WIV; BMW LongLife-01

Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 is a fully synthetic motor oil with extraordinary full synthetic and additive technology in the well known viscosity SAE 0W-30. In keeping with the state of lubricant development today Castrol FORMULA SLX offers greater valuable advantages over both conventional mineral multi-range passenger car motor oils and synthetic light oils and has also been improved once again with regard to the requirements of Diesel engines.

Specific characteristics:

·The innovative formulation of Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 combines harmonious methods with excellent technical performance characteristics and economic and ecological advantages. The significant friction-reducing characteristics of Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 afford particularly high fuel economy compared with passenger car engine oils currently on the market. In addition, pollutant emissions in gasoline and diesel engines are reduced, which constitutes a crucial contribution for the relief of the environment.
· The resulting highly developed additive technology of Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 not only meets increased engine requirements, in particular those of fuel injected diesel and gasoline engines, but ensures superior lubrication throughout the oil change interval.

Advantages:
· constant fuel savings over the entire period of use in cold weather starts and in short trip driving.
· reduced CO2 emissions (“greenhouse effect”) and contributes to the care of the environment.
·accomodates high load, very high lubrication security and wear protection in extraordinary operating conditions and long oil change intervals.
· lasting engine cleanliness, prevention of deposit formation.
· very fast oil supply to the engine, in particular to hydraulic tappets in cold weather starts, stable oil pressure.
· low phosphorus content for optimal catalytic converter protection.
· virtually chlorine-free technology for environmentally-friendly used oil recycling.

Usage: Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 is applicable in passenger car engines corresponding to its specifications.

Miscibility and disposal: Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 may be mixed with all brands of engine oils corresponding to the specifications prescribed by the manufacturers. In order to ensure the full capabilities of the product, Castrol FORMULA SLX should not be mixed. Castrol FORMULA SLX SAE 0W-30 can be handled after an oil change as normal used oil.

Chemical/physical characteristic data
color green
Pour POINT °C -63 ISO 3016
Flash point °C 238 ISO 2592
Density at 15 °C kg/m³ 842.6 DIN 51757 T4
Kin. viscosity at 40 °C mm²/s 68.5 DIN 51562
Kin. viscosity at 100°C mm²/s 12.1 DIN 51562
Kin. viscosity at 150°C mm²/s 5.7 DIN 51562
HTHS mPas 3.6 ASTM D4741
Dynamic Viscosity at -30° C mPa s 3200 DIN 51398
Total Base Number (TBN) mg KOH/g 10.6 ISO 3771
Viscosity index 179 ISO 2909

This analysis data represents average values.

All statements conform to our best knowledge and development at the time given. We reserve the right to make improvements in the composition of the product.

Thanks LubeRube!

Did we ever figure out what BMW's LongLife test is? Does this mean the oil is designed to go a certain interval like 30,000km? (although the most I'd push it is 20,000km most likely)

You're welcome. The kinematic vis values are given according to DIN (Deutsche Industie Norm). Does anyone know if the DIN test procedures give the same values as the ASTM procedures?

Sin city the 0W40 RS pretty new on the shelves here. I'd really like to know how it compares with M1 0W40 Supersyn (Not here yet). Mate will try to buy some today and get it on his Timken.

Sprintman, the Castrol 0w-40 is not sold at many places here in the USA. I would have to order a case of six quart bottles from Oklahoma and then ship one bottle to BOBISTHEOILGUY. If I did not already have nearly a one year supply of motor oil at home I would do it anyway. I am almost as bad as dragboat and Patman. I have three cars and a motorcycle that I do oil changes on plus my mothers car. At home I have Pennzoil 5w-20, Mobil DriveClean 10w-40, Pennzoil 15w-40 (SL CI-4), Pennzoil Performax 5w-50, Mobil1 0w-40 and Syntec 10w-40 all waiting to be tried out in different vehicles. I will do an UOA on some of these. I have decided whenever I go to Walmart or the auto parts store I will not even look at the oil section. My wife thinks I am crazy for having all this oil here in my garage!
shocked.gif
And I almost forgot I have three bottles of various other motor oil that were leftover from previous oil changes.

Anyway Sprintman I think that the Castrol 0w-40 has great specs and should be as good as the Mobile1 0w-40. I hope you give it a try and let us all know how it works.

CAn someone tell me where I can buy the 0w-40 Castrol oil at in Oklahoma? Can someone gimme the number to call them and whats the price? Also, is this reallyc alled a "Syntec" 0w-40 or is it a 5w-40 and someone mistyped it?

Someone let me know soon please! Im gonna buy some AGIP 5w-40 soon and would rather have this. the AGIP is pretty close to this new Syntec 0w-40 (i thre the spec page away though-doh!)as its VI is a little lower at 165 but its Kinematic VI is like 12.1or 12.3 or so.

Also, does anyone know if the Syntec 0w-30 from Germany is going to be sold here in the U.S.? Thanx in advance all! If this Castrol oil IS really true (true about it being sold here) then, I would definetely switch to it.
Chris J.

what's the chance of Castrol watering it down with their Group 3 Syntec stuff ?, how will we know that we are getting the good stuff once it is on shelves and we are about to purchase it. I certainly don't want any of their group 3 oil. Any real way to tell ?

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
what's the chance of Castrol watering it down with their Group 3 Syntec stuff ?, how will we know that we are getting the good stuff once it is on shelves and we are about to purchase it. I certainly don't want any of their group 3 oil. Any real way to tell ?

The fact that it's made in Germany is the best indicator that it's not going to have any Group III in it. From what I gather, the Syntec that is blended in the U.S. is the only Group III "synthetic" that Castrol produces.

Why would they go to the trouble of importing an oil from Germany and then doctoring it up? It would be too costly for them. They said to me on the phone that it was cheaper for them to import the German stuff here than to make their own. Confused, yes I am! Why don't they just import all the European oils then if that's their logic?
dunno.gif

This oil in Canada must be the SLX, because Castrol in Germany isn't going to go to the expense of making a different oil just for Canada, and plus the tests listed on the back of the bottles I bought here are all the same tests which are listed on the german site for their SLX.

So if this oil we found here is doctored in any way, it would not be able to claim passing those same tests.

okay thanks for the reassurance guys, just a little skpetical with their prior practices on synthetic oil in NA. I may add this oil to my list of possibles now, even a more confusing choice to make !.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The lab that I use for my oil analysis up here also tests for Viscosity Index, so this is another way we can prove that this Castrol 0w30 is indeed the SLX formula.

how about the colour, the SLX sheet calls the oil green in colour, no other Castrol oil is green, that might be another indicator if it refers to the finished product.

I haven't opened one of the bottles yet (don't like doing that before I use it) but in the original thread on this topic, Dr.T said the oil was indeed green.

Sorry I came into this thread so late.

But if there is still a need, I read german better than the translating software does.

(Even tho I think you guys got it all figured out by now)
But like I said if there is still a need:

[email protected]

Fred...
smile.gif

PS: I'll be out of town from Mon to We

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

The lab that I use for my oil analysis up here also tests for Viscosity Index, so this is another way we can prove that this Castrol 0w30 is indeed the SLX formula.

I'd strongly encourage you to do a VOA of this oil before you run it so we'll have a baseline to compare the UOA to.
smile.gif

I was thinking about doing that, but money is also very tight so I didn't want to use up one of my oil analysis kits just for that. I've got a lot of samples I'll be sending in this year. Hopefully someone else up here will send one in.

quote:

quote:

quote:

how about the colour, the SLX sheet calls the oil green in colour, no other Castrol oil is green, that might be another indicator if it refers to the finished product.

I haven't opened one of the bottles yet (don't like doing that before I use it) but in the original thread on this topic, Dr.T said the oil was indeed green.

well I was at Wally world today and opened up a bottle of 0w-30 to see how it looked (I know , I know, but I couldnt resist). It looked brown like any other Castrol oil. The bottle said it was imported to Canada by Castrol, didn't list where it was produced. All the other Syntec viscosities were listed as made in the USA though.

I'm still skeptical about using Castrol's Syntec line at this point. Maybe they have different vats of this viscosity, the good stuff they keep for Europe and cheaper stuff for NA. I can just hear the Germans saying - "send this crap to those **** yankees and canucks they don't know any better anyhow " .
wink.gif

[ February 23, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

If it didn't say made in Germany on it, then it was the old stuff. The German stuff has the new label on it and the 0w30 part is in red, not yellow.

The one problem I think we're going to run into up here is that not many people use 0w30, especially not going into the summer, so the Walmarts that still have old stock of the crappy 0w30 aren't going to be restocking with the new stuff until the old stuff sells out. The place I bought the 4L of the new stuff from only has one bottle of it now, and about 20-30 of the old stuff. Although I'm sure if I search around to one of the many Walmarts around the Toronto area, I'll find one that has nothing but the newer stuff. It's funny how you can tell which oils sell very little of, as I see a lot of SJ formula oil still around. And it was only about 6 months ago when I spotted some "Advanced Formula" Mobil 1 15w50 in my local Walmart (this stuff would've been from 1999 or earlier!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back