Got chewed out in Advance today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was in advance waiting to get the code scanner for my CEL, and I was talking to a guy about oil filters, and we were talking about how fram is [censored], and this one guy just comes up and starts screaming at us about how we didn't know anything, we were stupid and idiots and worked for purolator, that he's used fram his entire life and his dad before him blah blah blah. I was like O_O OMG really? He finally just left in a huff, and me and everyone else in the store were just like ummm... That guy is off his rocker.. It was very, very strange.

I think what is even stranger is that you stand around talking to strangers about how much Fram allegedly sucks.

Next time you go there, leave him the address to this forum and have him do some reading.
lol.gif

If that had happened to me,I would`ve started laughing so hard I would`ve been crying!!!!!!!! Haha!

went from 80K to 315000 miles on a 1992 mazda protege. Used the orange can of death the whole time. Had to replace the car in 2007 do to a drunk driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Well, I did use a fram. Never again. It looked pretty beat when I pulled it.

That may be true, but I have never seen any engine ruined as a result of using an oil filter that may not be as good as another filter. Ive never been a fram guy because I just feel more comfortable use a filter that appears to be built better. But again, there are more auto owners out there than we could ever count who experience long auto or engine life having their vehicles services by quick lubes with no name filters that are even sub par to fram. So I guess to each his own. If someone can prove that their engine lasted longer using a purolator over a fram or any other filter for that matter than I would love to see it.

I guess it goes along the same lines that oil manufactures rarely if ever pay out an engine claim because the cause of failure in the engine was the oil. Anyone get what I am saying? Engines fail from mechanical failures or breakdown or wear. Not because they are using a lesser quality oil that meets recommended engine specs, although you get a lot of piece of mind when you know you are using a high quality more expensive oil.

The orange can of death might be better than nothing in some situations. I used them for years without any apparent problems. The question is when you are educated with facts why would you continue to take a chance. Cost of a new engine is much greater than the cost of a quality oil filter. If you failed math don't worry about taking the course again just take a welcome word of advice and purchase a quality oil filter. If you didn't care you wouldn't be reading this post!!

I dont preach aginst Frams , but I dont use them either. I was on a job one day and a guy had a Chevy pick-up and it had 237,000 miles on it and he said he still runs it everyday and it runs like a top. I asked him what oil he used and he said castrol GTX 10w30 and only Fram oil filters. They are the best. He told me that race car builder, Smokey, Iam not into Race cars, but the guy had a shop down by Daytona beach. I was there when they tore it down, it had alot of race stuff in it, anyway, he told him to only use Fram and thats all he will use.What do you say, its apparently working out for him, now if he said he only used E-cores, Id tell him he's full of Sh....

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Well, I did use a fram. Never again. It looked pretty beat when I pulled it.

That may be true, but I have never seen any engine ruined as a result of using an oil filter that may not be as good as another filter. Ive never been a fram guy because I just feel more comfortable use a filter that appears to be built better. But again, there are more auto owners out there than we could ever count who experience long auto or engine life having their vehicles services by quick lubes with no name filters that are even sub par to fram. So I guess to each his own. If someone can prove that their engine lasted longer using a purolator over a fram or any other filter for that matter than I would love to see it.

I guess it goes along the same lines that oil manufactures rarely if ever pay out an engine claim because the cause of failure in the engine was the oil. Anyone get what I am saying? Engines fail from mechanical failures or breakdown or wear. Not because they are using a lesser quality oil that meets recommended engine specs, although you get a lot of piece of mind when you know you are using a high quality more expensive oil.

+ 1 Yeah, the funniest part is that for all the disdain for the way they are built, we have very little evidence it leads to increased engine wear.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
So, I was in advance waiting to get the code scanner for my CEL, and I was talking to a guy about oil filters, and we were talking about how fram is [censored], and this one guy just comes up and starts screaming at us about how we didn't know anything, we were stupid and idiots and worked for purolator, that he's used fram his entire life and his dad before him blah blah blah. I was like O_O OMG really? He finally just left in a huff, and me and everyone else in the store were just like ummm... That guy is off his rocker.. It was very, very strange.

He must own a large block of Honeywell stock.

I always used fram filters in over 20 cars I owned when i was a younger . I never had an engine fail .
I liked them a lot because when we changed our oil in the field behind the junior high school we could get the filter off easier by driving a screw driver through it and turning it. Frams were the thinnest . we liked that . It made removal easy.

I used them when I was a teen and didnt know better. But once Wix's were easy to get I left the Frams. Until a couple years ago I never saw an issue related to filter choice. But one summer I saw two engines that had filter issues and the filter was a standard Fram orange can on a car and their moto filter on a very nice (until the engine went) Kawasaki.

We caught the filter problem on the car and when switched to a Wix the oil pressure returned to normal. I wish I had a cutter back then.

I wont use a Fram outside their Extended Guard.

fram makes an excellent product. for a while they let things slide, but this internet discussion forum shamed them into cleaning up the act and now they are only making top quality.

as with any mass produced item, sometimes there will be a defective one. the drain back valve though, is poor, and for that reason i stay away from them. the actual filter part though, is actually fairly good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back