Subaru 15208AA12A with 4,061 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn't the old white subaru filters the purolator ones?
the "AA12A" filters are still junk to me compared to the older "AA100" tokyo roki ones

as for pic #4, my untrained eyes can't seem to see anything wrong... I also tried searching for widman's post/pics and I couldn't seem to find them... can someone please kindly spare us the suspense and mystery?

The center tube is not centered. Look at the 8-9 o'clock position. The filter was likely bypassing in that area.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The center tube is not centered. Look at the 8-9 o'clock position. The filter was likely bypassing in that area. Ed

If the media pleats are securely glued/attached to the end caps all the way around, then that gap between the center tube and end cap will not pass unfiltered oil. If the media was strong enough to hold the PSID, you wouldn't even need a center tube.

You are right. The flow is from outside in. Widman's filters showed more severe problems that allowed bypass with the severely off center tube.

I'm an analytical chemist with a touch of OCD. I like things to line up.
55.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
If the media pleats are securely glued/attached to the end caps all the way around, then that gap between the center tube and end cap will not pass unfiltered oil.

Huh? So a space/gap between the media and the centertube, allowing oil to pass from the inlet (outer) side at top and/or bottom endcap area would be filtered oil? Not sure how that could happen if the incoming oil doesn't pass through the media first.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If the media pleats are securely glued/attached to the end caps all the way around, then that gap between the center tube and end cap will not pass unfiltered oil.

Huh? So a space/gap between the media and the centertube, allowing oil to pass from the inlet (outer) side at top and/or bottom endcap area would be filtered oil? Not sure how that could happen if the incoming oil doesn't pass through the media first.
21.gif

Assuming there is a tight seal between the open end cap and the ADBV flapper, then all the oil must go through the media to get into the center tube of the filter. The ADBV flapper is the seal on the open ended end cap - you can see the sealing impression in the end cap material ... not the center tube (more below).

Imaging that both end caps are solid all the way across, and that the ends of all pleats are sealed 100% to the end caps. I doesn't even matter if there is a center tube, because the center tube is not providing the sealing. It only provides a barrier for the media to butt up to when there is PSID across the media, and prevents the media from imploding towards the center of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Guys, this wasn't intended to be a Purolater vs. Everyone else [censored] match like just about every other thread here lately. Use what you like and what holds up well for you. The OEM Subaru filters work well for Subaru and will keep the oil filtered. That's all.

Except when you post a P1 and say the ADBV didn't work and with possiblly slightly torn media, then post that a rebranded Fram ADBV and the filter itself worked better, you can't expect others to not comment.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

21.gif

Assuming there is a tight seal between the open end cap and the ADBV flapper, then all the oil must go through the media to get into the center tube of the filter. The ADBV flapper is the seal on the open ended end cap - you can see the sealing impression in the end cap material ... not the center tube (more below).

Imaging that both end caps are solid all the way across, and that the ends of all pleats are sealed 100% to the end caps. I doesn't even matter if there is a center tube, because the center tube is not providing the sealing. It only provides a barrier for the media to butt up to when there is PSID across the media, and prevents the media from imploding towards the center of the filter.

I agree the unfilter side is sealed from the filteredm side strictly by the ADBV sealing between the baseplate and the carboard end cap, and the bottom spring and bypass cobo at the dome end. Thing is I don't have much faith in the nitrile ADBV to accomplish a good seal under psid.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Guys, this wasn't intended to be a Purolater vs. Everyone else [censored] match like just about every other thread here lately. Use what you like and what holds up well for you. The OEM Subaru filters work well for Subaru and will keep the oil filtered. That's all.

Except when you post a P1 and say the ADBV didn't work and with possiblly slightly torn media, then post that a rebranded Fram ADBV and the filter itself worked better, you can't expect others to not comment.

I did two oil changes that day and those were the two associated filters. My posts are subjective and I don't have loyalty to any one filter brand. Unfortunately, some folks drink the marketing kool-aid way to often and go on an irrational defense. You'd think I just bashed someones favorite sports team. These are just oil filters. All brands have issues occasionally. I completely expect and encourage constructive comments.

Originally Posted By: TheMAN
wasn't the old white subaru filters the purolator ones?

Yes, for a very short time. They were using Tokyo Roki, then switched to Purolater briefly, then back to Tokyo Roki, and now Honeywell. The gaskets Purolater used were not to Subaru spec and they leaked so that was a short-lived contract.

I did two oil changes that day and those were the two associated filters. My posts are subjective and I don't have loyalty to any one filter brand. Unfortunately, some folks drink the marketing kool-aid way to often and go on an irrational defense. You'd think I just bashed someones favorite sports team. These are just oil filters. All brands have issues occasionally. I completely expect and encourage constructive comments.

Fair enough. Like you said it was subjective. Maybe the oil in the P1 was thinner and hotter when it was turned over or who knows. I do have to disagree with comment drinking marketing Kool-aide and brand loyality. I don't think any P1 users are doing that. We see a filter with a higher efficiency and a better construction, and we point it out. That's all. Why would we use another filter we see as inferior when we want the best at a reasonable price? i have to say you do seem to have a bias against Purolators from reading your post.

Unfortunately, some folks drink the marketing kool-aid way to often and go on an irrational defense.

I think a lot more people drink the actual "field report Kool-Aid" way more than the marketing Kool-Aid. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that repeated reports of blown-out media on the same design must indicate some kind of issue.

If everyone drank the marketing Kool-Aid, we'd all be using Escraps because Champ Labs believes they are so "Hi-Tech".
lol.gif

Fair enough. Like you said it was subjective. Maybe the oil in the P1 was thinner and hotter when it was turned over or who knows. I do have to disagree with comment drinking marketing Kool-aide and brand loyality. I don't think any P1 users are doing that. We see a filter with a higher efficiency and a better construction, and we point it out. That's all. Why would we use another filter we see as inferior when we want the best at a reasonable price? i have to say you do seem to have a bias against Purolators from reading your post.

Im not sure where most of that is coming from. I've never suggested that you not use PureOne. Use what's best for your application and OCI. That's the only advise I've ever given. I've installed four Purolaters this year. How many more should I install before I'm no longer biased? :)

Originally Posted By: edhackett
The center tube is not centered. Look at the 8-9 o'clock position. The filter was likely bypassing in that area. Ed

If the media pleats are securely glued/attached to the end caps all the way around, then that gap between the center tube and end cap will not pass unfiltered oil. If the media was strong enough to hold the PSID, you wouldn't even need a center tube.

Bingo! Media is bonded to end caps and ADBV is sealed against end cap, not the center tube. The center tube is there to support the media and to prevent large objects from passing into the engine if there were ever to be a media tear.

Thanks for the photos and all this good information.
I guess I will just keep using the tiny oem oil filter and regular QS oil with oci = 5000 mi. (max)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back