Everstart MAXX or Duralast Gold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked before ... search didn't find much.

I need to pickup a new battery tonight so need some quick feedback. I've narrowed down to either of the two since they are locally in stock:

Everstart MAXX (Walmart house brand)

$77 + $9 core
3 year free replacement, then 2 years of prorate.
700 CCA

Duralast Gold (Autozone house brand)
$89.99 + $5 core
3 year free replacement, then 5 years of prorate.
750 CCA

I think both are made by Johnson Controls.

Just based on quality and reliability (and leak proofness) which one is better?

Is the more expensive Duralast worth the extra money just for the better warranty? I have no problem spending more if the Duralast is really better.

I would go Duralast. Never had good luck with WM batteries. I like NAPA's Legend series myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I would go Duralast. Never had good luck with WM batteries. I like NAPA's Legend series myself.

Who makes the NAPA batteries these days? Is the Legend series their top tier battery?

Yes, NAPA might also be an option since there is a store nearby.

If you have the Johnson Controls version of the Everstart MAXX, go for it. A lot of people aren't keen on the Exide versions. I've had nothing but good results with the Johnson versions. Can't speak for Exide.

I'd say it is a toss up. One thing I've found is that Walmart is very good about taking back bad batteries. I've had no experience with Autozone on that. Unless you run the battery until it is dead either will get you three-five reliable years.

Basically they are the same bat. I look at the everstart as being a little easier to warranty if there is a problem. No matter where your at in the US there will be a walmart nearby, even in most of the smallest towns

Costco's Batteries (Kirkland Brand) are rated very high... but I don't know who makes them....and might be alot cheaper ($$).

Last edited:
East Penn Manufacturing (Decco) makes the Napa batteries and the Legend 84 month is the top of the line.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
If you have the Johnson Controls version of the Everstart MAXX, go for it. A lot of people aren't keen on the Exide versions. I've had nothing but good results with the Johnson versions. Can't speak for Exide.

How can I tell if it was made by Johnson Controls ... something in fine print on the label? I might swing by Walmart on the way to Autozone to look at the MAXX before looking at the Duralast Gold.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
How can I tell if it was made by Johnson Controls ... something in fine print on the label? I might swing by Walmart on the way to Autozone to look at the MAXX before looking at the Duralast Gold.

All mine said something to the effect of "Manufactured by Johnson Controls for Wal*Mart" on the label. Hope that's still the case.

It will be identified as a Johnson Control battery right on the top. I would save the $12 and get the Maxx from Wally World. As others have stated it is essentially the same battery and by the time you get into a 5 year prorate, the prorate probably isn't going to amount to jack anyway.

An EverStart is powering my car. It seems to work okay in 5*F upstate New York winters and 98*F South Carolina summers.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
An EverStart is powering my car. It seems to work okay in 5*F upstate New York winters and 98*F South Carolina summers.

+1

Had great starting at -24°F in Jan'09, and no problems when I visited my sister in Tampa with temps. in the 90's.

Was under the impression that the maxx was prorated to 9 years (108 mo). At least that is what the one I just bought was...

I thought the vent caps on the JC batteries were octagon shaped, eg the corners of the rectangles had little 45 degree angles on them.

Odd, the WM yellow battery used to have a longer warranty, sure it wasn't three years free then another five?

If you look in the back of the printed WM battery book they have all sorts of information aimed at store personnel, which might include how to ID the battery.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Didn't Johnson Controls partially or fully move to Mexico years ago?

I stopped by Autozone tonight and looked at the Duralast Gold. On the top it said "Made in Mexico". So if the Duralast Gold is made by Johnson Controls then they must have a factory in Mexico. Either that, or the Duralast Gold I looked at wasn't a Johnson Controls battery (?).

Did make it to Walmart, but plan on comparing the Everstart MAXX. One thing with the Duralast is that it has a flange on the side for the lifting handle that might interfere with my OEM positive battery cable setup. Will have to make some accurate measurements to determine if it will be a fitment problem or not. Maybe the MAXX will have more clearance ... if so, that might be one factor to purchase one over the other.

Everstart MAXX has 3 year free replacement, then 6 years of prorate warranty, and WM is everywhere in America if you need warranty.

As eljefino said: "The vent caps on the JC batteries were octagon shaped, eg the corners of the rectangles had little 45 degree angles on them". And Johnson Control name should be on top of the battery.

For similar cost I would buy Everstart MAXX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back