fine scratches after buffing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently buffed my truck using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. The applicator I used was a 3M buffing pad that I attached to a drill and used on low-medium speed. Here is a link to the applicator I used:
http://www.autobarn.net/3m-superbuff-polishing-pad.html

I made sure the truck was completely clean and spotless before starting to buff. After buffing it, I am noticing very very very fine swirl marks/hairline scratches in the clearcoat all over the paint. The marks are only visible in direct sunlight. Otherwise they are completely invisible and everything looks fine. When you can see the reflection of the sun in the paint, you can also see the swirl marks.

Anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong, also how can I fix this?

Did you apply it or remove it with that??

You really want to apply compound with a foam type firm applicator. You work the material to a haze on medium to speed with a buffer or DA ( Medium and high speed ).

You will need to use a swirl remover, with a foam pad,meguirs makes a good swirl remover it is just finer grit and will remove the scratches that the previous step put in the clear coat.A DA polisher will remove the swirls that a regular polisher will put in the finish,i have a meguires DA polisher that i use after or the final step and use a 3M dark pad for dark color paint my cars are all dark color 3M also makes a great polish that is formulated to use for dark colors and that dark pad and when done will have no swirl marks, your drill is causing the swirls and the Dual Action polisher will eliminate it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I applied it with that applicator, and I wiped it off with microfiber towels. I actually have a bottle of Meguiar's Swirl X right now. Should I hit the truck with that? Also, I have acquired an air powered DA and I plan to use some type of bonnet applicator pad on that, what type of pad should I use? The firm foam like you have suggested? Thanks again you have been a bunch of help already.

Swirl X would be fine to use. With that DA, attach a velcro backing plate and use a soft foam finishing pad with the Swirl X. I would skip the bonnet for now.

Go slowly with overlapping passes. Do a small section at a time and remove residue with a microfiber towel.

bretfraz, thanks a lot for the help. I will give that a try. Quick question, any idea where I can find the velcro backing plate and the soft foam finishing pad? The DA is a 6". Thanks again

any automotive pain supplier should have them. Most will carry the meguires soft buff pads also

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
any automotive pain supplier should have them. Most will carry the meguires soft buff pads also

Agreed.

3M makes several velcro backing plates for DA's. If you want to stick with their product line, I suggest their black foam waffle pad for final polishing.

You can find some of this stuff at auto parts stores like O'Reilly's.

Hmmm, I think your problem is your method of applying and using the product, as well as using a very aggressive product (Ultimate Compound).

First off, a drill plus a pad essentially makes your application a rotary system. For most swirl removal, you will want a much less aggressive system, like a dual-action polisher. Most detailers will follow up with this from a rotary to remove swirls. A rotary is really aggressive and can cause damage if not used properly.

Also, Ultra Compound is Meguiar's most aggressive consumer product. Depending on paint finish, it can cause swirls even if used properly. Also, this can happen if you do not work the product in long enough to break down the abrasives completely.

My suggestion? Go out and get some Swirl-X by meguiars... It is a great product to remove swirls and not nearly aggressive as Ultra Compound. Apply by hand or dual-action polisher (such as PC-7424) with a polishing pad or if by hand a foam pad, and work it in small sections at a time until it breaks down completely. This will allow the micro/diminishing abrasives to do their job and clear up the paint wonderfully. Top your work off with NXT 2.0 or another preferred wax/sealant.

(If you can't tell, I do detailing as a side hobby using most of Meguiar's products) :)

If you have any questions let me know, I would be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back