Switched from 5w20 to 10w30 and glad I did...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when my PP 5w20 was ready to be changed, I finally decided to try some 10w30 in my 2004 Taurus with the 3.0 vulcan. I picked up some Quaker State dino 10w30 from WalMart for $10. Now, I know all of the 5w20 cheerleaders will flame me, but there has been ZERO fuel economy variation in over 800 miles so far.

The car definitely idles and runs quieter. I never thought this was a noisy engine until it was not noisy. That was the most surprising thing to me. I also switched my 2001 F-150 with 5.4 from MC 5w20 to Castrol GTX 10w30 and it had the same results. ZERO fuel economy variation and the engine is quieter.

I was very anti-anything thicker than a Xw20 for the past several years. However, I stopped drinking that Kool-Aid and I am still alive and so are my vehicles.

I think 10w30 is an all around great grade of oil. I have never really been a fan of 5w30 dino due to the shearing of most of them. I will be eager to see the UOA's on my 10w30 oils.

That is all, carry on.

You switched brands and oil type as well. It woulda been more helpful if you switched to Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 instead of changing 3 variables and attributing all the changes to 1

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
You switched brands and oil type as well. It woulda been more helpful if you switched to Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 instead of changing 3 variables and attributing all the changes to 1

^^ This

I actually got better gas milelage with Qauker State 4x4 synthetic bland 10w30 then Iam currently getting with the Quaker State Torque full syn. 5w20. About 1 more mile per gallon, but in a Hemi, thats alot, when you are just happy to get out of the single digits. Ill be trying 5w30 next time. Ive run 10w30 and 5w20(its speced for 5w20) I never posted because the manual foolowers would just claim I was in Florida and thats the reason, I have no problems. But I have noticed the same thing as you and its why I am always a adamant defender of the 10w30 as the perfect universal one shoe fits all oil.(for gas engines)

Compare over the course of an entire year, and then report back the fuel mileage results. Then I might draw something from it...

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I never thought this was a noisy engine until it was not noisy. That was the most surprising thing to me.

I believe you.

However, I've had the opposite experience in a Ford 2.0 4 cylinder. Now with PP 5w-20 the only sound the engine makes is from the serpentine belt tentioner. And 5w-30(Formula Shell) caused a strong buzz in the windshield that made the rear view mirror view blurry.

interesting, it sounds like you have seen no difference in mpg but engine is quieter

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: 04SE
I never thought this was a noisy engine until it was not noisy. That was the most surprising thing to me.

I believe you.

However, I've had the opposite experience in a Ford 2.0 4 cylinder. Now with PP 5w-20 the only sound the engine makes is from the serpentine belt tentioner. And 5w-30(Formula Shell) caused a strong buzz in the windshield that made the rear view mirror view blurry.

FWIW in the Ford 2.0 Zetec I maintain and drive occasionally I've noticed zero difference between a 20-grade and a 30-grade in terms of engine sounds/vibrations/etc.

The ZX2 that we have is pretty rough at idle for some reason though.

I had the exact opposite experience with my Taurus with 3.0 Vulcan engine. 5w20 made the engine quiter, more peppy especially when cold, and I got better fuel mileage.

Any mileage gains coming from from a switch to a THICKER oil are coming from something else, not the oil. Perhaps the change from winter to summer blend fuel. Anyone that says otherwise is either claiming the laws of physics are bending just for him, or dealing with testing errors.

It's just as hard to see the gains from one grade thinner.The difference in fuel economy that might show up at the rear wheels between a 5W20 and a 10W30 is very small and in many cases won't rise above the inaccuracies of the average ways fuel economy is checked. But it's there. On an engine dyno, you can see it. The difference between thick and thin oil will show up most vividly on a short hopped car that spends a lot of time in the warmup phase and least apparently in a car that does a lot of steady running

I just switched my Forester from PP 5w30 to VWB 5w30 and there is a dramatic decrease in engine noise. Because of that I just might be a VWB (and/or dino) convert. I have 4 jugs of PP left in my stash that I'll keep for our harsh winters.

I have no doubt you noticed a "sound" and/or "noise" level difference after switching to conventional and going up a grade in viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Any mileage gains coming from from a switch to a THICKER oil are coming from something else, not the oil. Perhaps the change from winter to summer blend fuel. Anyone that says otherwise is either claiming the laws of physics are bending just for him, or dealing with testing errors.

It's just as hard to see the gains from one grade thinner.The difference in fuel economy that might show up at the rear wheels between a 5W20 and a 10W30 is very small and in many cases won't rise above the inaccuracies of the average ways fuel economy is checked. But it's there. On an engine dyno, you can see it. The difference between thick and thin oil will show up most vividly on a short hopped car that spends a lot of time in the warmup phase and least apparently in a car that does a lot of steady running

+1

It is getting warmer now in Illinois.
This is a factor. No one gets the same MPG from the dead of winter to the middle of Summer - it varies.

Thicker oil often quiets things - simply more cushioning.
But this means more internal drag - it can not be otherwise.

Maybe ring sealing is better with the thicker oil, and this can help. Normally , there would have to be a problem, first.

You did not make a huge jump in viscosity, and after several thousand miles, the 30 dino will shear a bit down and approach a 20.

So go ahead and use what you like and have success with, but consider a 5 instead of a 10-30 when it gets cold again.

I have changed from 5-30 in my Fords to 5-20 recently and have seen a MPG increase for hwy. mileage. 1.1 MPG gain on my recent trip to Florida over the same trip in Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back