Small Used Car Market Insane? Agree? Disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote this elsewhere, but got no feedback, so I'm starting a new topic.

Is it just here, or is the used car market for small 4 cylinder cars insane? I'm not talking about import only. I've looked at domestics too such as Neons, Cavaliers (not that I'd buy, my mom's has convinced me not to buy a Cavalier) etc. It just seems insane.

In the other thread, someone asked why repair a 199x Toyota Corolla. Here is why I'd justify doing just that.

Quote:

I've discovered the market for 4 cylinder used cars is insane right now.

I'm at the point with my 1994 Geo Prizm, with 250K on the clock minus one tank of gas worth of miles, that replacement cars are likely $3000-$4000 for a car of comparable quality.

Sure I may need to do $1000 worth of work on my car. But right now, econoboxes seem to be pulling insane money if they are in good shape.

The problem is, at that price point in the market, the seller is likely to get that sort of money, especially if they are a dealer.

Why?

Buy here, pay here. Folks shopping in that market segment often are shopping for financing, and the car is incidental.

The problem doesn't stop at dealers. When dealers advertise $4000 for a 1993 Honda Civic, and "get it" because they tote the note, private sellers think they can get $3000 for their 1993 Civic. So when you show up with $1500 or $2000, they say no because they think it will sell for more.

And many times it does.

Or folks bought it at a BHPH lot, and owe money on it.

So at the $500 to $3000 segment of the car market, which I forgot to add was largely decimated by cash for clunkers as well, it's often a frustrating experience.

So I took the 1994 Geo Prizm with 249,6xx miles to my mechanic and asked him to go over it. Check the compression and the oil pressure. Put it up on the lift and look for rust, damage, etc.

I asked him to tell me if it was worth doing a new clutch, fix the leaks, replace the other drive axle and while he's at it,please replace the rear struts and give it an alignment.

Today, he told me the engine has good, fairly even compression on all four cylinders, the oil pressure is good, and there is no rust concerns.

He suggested we not do the leaks or the clutch. (This guy is always talking me out of paying him for work.) Instead, just do the axle, the rear struts. (I already did the front.) and we'll watch the clutch to see if it needs work in the future. We then revisit the leaks if the clutch really needs replacement.

I really can't replace this car for $500 or even $1500. I know the car.

So given the crazy market, and given I know the entire history of this car, I'm going to spend "crazy" money on a 16 year old Geo Prizm/(Toyota Corolla) and see if I can get another 5 years and 50-75K miles out of it.

I can certainly see spending money on an old car like this if one knows it would cost even more to replace it.

It's not the value of the car that determines how much to spend, but how much it costs to replace.

Thoughts?

It WILL only get worst with the fuel going up and up.

If "people" get their wish of $7 a gallon the insane cost of 4 cyl cars will be the LEAST of our worries.

Hold on, its only going to get WAY WORST... (sorry to say)

Bill

Although I can't stand the thought of putting big money into any old car that is worth very little, the general adage that it's 'cheaper to repair than replace' is generally true.

The advantage you have is you had someone who did an overall, honest assessment of the car - so you know where you stand. It's folks who blindly repair stuff, when bigger stuff is going and they don't know it, that end up frustrated.

I think you're making the right choice.

Agreed. Buying a small used car right now is a losing proposition since the prices are astronomical. My fiancee wanted a fuel-sipper. We ended up getting a new car since the price difference between a 20k mile used base model and a brand-new upscale model was the cost of a major repair.

It's not just limited to cars on the low end. Low mileage used cars are fetching almost-new prices. In our case my fiancee's car is worth about what we paid for it 9 months ago.

I will say this, the 4 banger market is a bit pricey but deals can be found rather easy. I've seen a lot of cars between 100-250k miles on them for 1-3k. Granted the 1k cars are nothing like the 3k cars in terms of condition. The 3k market is what the 1k market was before CFC. There are gems though and gems that can be had for cheap sometimes. A seller who is offloading a car because they thing its dead or wont run because of a big problem and in reality it can be a 25 dollar fix.

If your ok with the car then by all means keep the car running. If it costs more than the car is worth to fix it, I think its worth it to keep it running because its a 1 time payment and you may get your money and then some out of it with more years of service.

Last edited:
Thats the way i feel about my Celica nothing is wrong with it, the body is very clean and the engine is solid and gets around 32 MPG

If something does go wrong it will cost less to repair it than buying another car.

WIN!

If you can work on your own car, an older econobox is always a good idea.
Also, parts are cheaper, and there are less of them!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

If "people" get their wish of $7 a gallon the insane cost of 4 cyl cars will be the LEAST of our worries.

Bill

Bill: I don't see gas going to those prices anytime soon. I do feel we'll see the usual 50 cents to a dollar a gallon increase for summer but I also see it retreating to current levels or lower by next winter. Why, you may ask...simply because the economy is so bad that people will cut way back on driving rather than pay the exorbitant prices. The current administration is doing nothing that will help the economy anytime soon (if ever).

Originally Posted By: pbm

Bill

Bill: I don't see gas going to those prices anytime soon. I do feel we'll see the usual 50 cents to a dollar a gallon increase for summer but I also see it retreating to current levels or lower by next winter. Why, you may ask...simply because the economy is so bad that people will cut way back on driving rather than pay the exorbitant prices. The current administration is doing nothing that will help the economy anytime soon.

Agree 100%. The economy is going NOWHERE.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Agreed. Buying a small used car right now is a losing proposition since the prices are astronomical. My fiancee wanted a fuel-sipper. We ended up getting a new car since the price difference between a 20k mile used base model and a brand-new upscale model was the cost of a major repair.

It's not just limited to cars on the low end. Low mileage used cars are fetching almost-new prices. In our case my fiancee's car is worth about what we paid for it 9 months ago.

The near new market here is the same as what you've found, I'm not willing to take a used car with 20,000 miles vs. a new car to save $1000-1500.
The really used market here isn't as strong for small cars, maybe because they are more common here. Civics and Corollas are usually way over priced IMHO but the domestic cars and less popular japanese brands aren't over priced here.
I see my Neon for sale at dealerships for $2500 all the time but that's as low as a certified car gets at a dealership. Privately, $1500-2000 is the going rate for an old compact car in good shape, certified and etested.
We decided to fix our beaters for a while longer, no major rust or pending problems so a few hundred bucks a couple times a year isn't too bad, plus I'm not afraid to try a repair myself on them.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Bill

Bill: I don't see gas going to those prices anytime soon. I do feel we'll see the usual 50 cents to a dollar a gallon increase for summer but I also see it retreating to current levels or lower by next winter. Why, you may ask...simply because the economy is so bad that people will cut way back on driving rather than pay the exorbitant prices. The current administration is doing nothing that will help the economy anytime soon.

I can't post how I'm getting the feeling of $7 gallon fuel. But google it and you'll see many think tanks and universities with pinhead professors who say that is where we are heading and sooner than later. That we MUST go that direction...
33.gif

Agree with you on the economy and our current administration...
06.gif

My plan has always been buy the vehicle that you NEED for the mission, keep it running so it lasts and is always SAFE and sell it to a friend or family when it gets 230-260k miles. (to help out younger folks starting out)

Now I'm going to keep the vehicles going.

Take care, Bill

I go for condition and price on old used cars, and try not to fixate on one brand or size. Choose something that's simple and rugged, and probably U.S. made for cheap parts and repairs. For example, around here you can still find old Crown Vics and Grand Marquis with relatively low mileage for low dollars. I get up to 26 mpg on the highway in mine, I paid about $3 grand for it, I've driven it for three years already, and I'll probably get another couple of years out of it. I've put a starter into it, new tires, and usual maintenance, but no large repair outlays. Save $1000 on the cost of the car and you can buy a lot of extra gas. Same thing if you can save $1000 on repairs.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
The economy wont go anywhere until we bring manufacturing back to the USA.

32.gif

Will not happen.

We will not work for reasonable wages that other countries will work for since they don't have the garbage to deal with that is dealt to businesses in the US.

And we can not force other countries to be like US.. (over tax and all the "rules") They need to feed their people.

Add in that US consumers can not afford to pay now for products that are made with lower priced labor and lower priced plants.

They can not pay anymore...

Bill

I bought this car in 2003 for $2500 with a tick under 106K on the clock. It has all the service records since new from the previous and only prior owner.

I've owned it since then. So I've put another 144K miles on it in the past 7 years. So I'm familiar with its history to say the least.

It needed very little when I bought it. I changed the fluids (just because I'm a member of BITOG), changed the bulbs and drove it from STL to KC the first workday after I had tags on it for some mandatory company training that was offered in KC.

As of today, before the pending repairs, I have spent $18368.85 to purchase, insure, license, maintain, repair and fuel this car over the 144K miles. That makes my cost $0.128/mile.

Even if I spend $1000 on it this week, it's still cheap transportation, raising my costs to $0.135/mile.

As long as the vehicle is sound, and does the job, it really makes no economic sense to replace it.

The entire market is insane right now. Looking at brand new cars, dealers aren't coming off of sticker! Incentives are very few and late model used cars are going for almost as much as new. I see a lot of under $2000 junk, and then stuff at nearly new pricing. It's driving me insane.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I bought this car in 2003 for $2500 with a tick under 106K on the clock. It has all the service records since new from the previous and only prior owner.

I've owned it since then. So I've put another 144K miles on it in the past 7 years. So I'm familiar with its history to say the least.

It needed very little when I bought it. I changed the fluids (just because I'm a member of BITOG), changed the bulbs and drove it from STL to KC the first workday after I had tags on it for some mandatory company training that was offered in KC.

As of today, before the pending repairs, I have spent $18368.85 to purchase, insure, license, maintain, repair and fuel this car over the 144K miles. That makes my cost $0.128/mile.

Even if I spend $1000 on it this week, it's still cheap transportation, raising my costs to $0.135/mile.

As long as the vehicle is sound, and does the job, it really makes no economic sense to replace it.

EXCELLENT post!

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I go for condition and price on old used cars, and try not to fixate on one brand or size. Choose something that's simple and rugged, and probably U.S. made for cheap parts and repairs. For example, around here you can still find old Crown Vics and Grand Marquis with relatively low mileage for low dollars. I get up to 26 mpg on the highway in mine, I paid about $3 grand for it, I've driven it for three years already, and I'll probably get another couple of years out of it. I've put a starter into it, new tires, and usual maintenance, but no large repair outlays. Save $1000 on the cost of the car and you can buy a lot of extra gas. Same thing if you can save $1000 on repairs.

Well, I do prefer the small car. Why?

1. I can get it into my garage with the other two cars and still have room for bikes, lawn mowers, the grill, etc. Something like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis will probably fit, but nothing else will fit.

2. I like the driving dynamics of a small car over a large one. I like running a small car through the gears I can shift myself. I don't get the same satisfaction when I drive my grandmothers Panther Platform.

Granted, no one will mistake my Prizm/Corolla for a sports car. However, it does have 4 wheel independent suspension, it gets good fuel economy, and everything still works, including A/C.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with anything much larger. The current Ford Fusion/Mazda 6 is about as large as I'd like to go, and that may be too big for my personal tastes.

Bought my Civic brand new in 2001 when gas price were cheap. I thought about fuel economy when it wasn't in vogue.

Greatest buy I ever did.

Around here you can buy a nice Ford Focus with around 40000k miles for under $8000.

$3500 will get you a small car around here with less than 110000k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back