Woods mower hydro oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, 1st post here. I have a early-90s Woods mower here (equiv to a Grasshopper; Woods and GH were one and the same company for several years)
it has Eaton hydros on it (2 of them; 1 for each drive wheel) and I want to drain/flush the hydro system; I bought the machine just before leaf season last fall and IDK if the hydro fluid has ever been changed)
Problem being, is that there were 2 "series" of this mower made; the model is a "Mow'n Machine" 1250.
From serial number XXXX to YYYYY it calls for a 20W motor oil; 30W can be used on higher mileage units;
But mine is in the "ZZZZ and above" serial number range; and for them it says to use "woods Hydrostatic Transmission fluid P/N 70776; the problem is that it is $37/QUART! I do not THINK so!
I E mailed Grasshopper; my mower is equal to their (now retired) model number 1212; and their recommendation is P/N 345044 "cool temp Hydromax" fluid; I Drive old Dodges and Jeeps; I do not go back to Dodge for the fluids for my truck!
I went to a local oil supply place; they gave me Mobil's tech hotline number;
I called and they said "sorry, Woods or Grasshopper will not release their propetiary fluid charecteristics"; I am NOT paying $111 for 3 quarts of the stuff! Mobil "thought" their 424 fluis would do the job.
My plan is to flush the system; dump it, and then fill with new.
I went to Farm and Fleet yesterday; they have 7 different Hydro fluids on the shelf, all are $13.99 for 2-gallon containers. But which one? they are all made by Mystik. They had teh "deere stuff", the Case/IH stuff", a "universal" that supposedly covered both Case/IH and Deere, and 4 different "AW" fluids; AW 32, 46, 68 and 100. From what I see by the compatibility chart, 46 or 68 will suffice for "20W" and 100 equates to "30W".
Now at ~20 tears old, it is definitely out of warranty; but I want something with enough "body" to do the job, but not "too heavy" so as to overheat. and I don't want something that will deteriorate the seals.
Am I "stuck" buying the $37/qt stuff? Money's tight being on disability.

I wish it was as easy as buying a case of Valvoline 10W40 for my old 318 V8's and Jeep straight 6s!

OK where's the "edit" button? I see a few typo's in my OP.

Yep, that'll work, or the older Eatons do excellent on 5w20 motor oil or ATF as well.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Go back to you Farm and Fleet and get either the Deere or the Case/IH stuff. Either will work in your application.

OK, thanks; appreciate that; What does the Deere or Case stuff equate to viscosity wise, compared to the AW 32, 46, 68 or 100?
I was told as far as the "20W" or "5W20" engine oil, it does not have the anti wear stuff the "AW" stuff does.

Wausau, huh? I bought my daily driver 83 Dodge 3/4 ton from a guy on Ebay there; dead smack middle Wisconsin; 335 miles NW of me! been a dam great truck, too! suprisingly rust free for a Wisconsin truck all its life!
what's funny about that? I have a childhood buddy that called me out of the blue one day; I knew he had moved to Wisconsin; but the weird part is that he also lives in Wausau now (and coulda saved me the hotel bill for the nite, lol)

Originally Posted By: Don_B
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Go back to you Farm and Fleet and get either the Deere or the Case/IH stuff. Either will work in your application.

OK, thanks; appreciate that; What does the Deere or Case stuff equate to viscosity wise, compared to the AW 32, 46, 68 or 100?
I was told as far as the "20W" or "5W20" engine oil, it does not have the anti wear stuff the "AW" stuff does.

Wausau, huh? I bought my daily driver 83 Dodge 3/4 ton from a guy on Ebay there; dead smack middle Wisconsin; 335 miles NW of me! been a dam great truck, too! suprisingly rust free for a Wisconsin truck all its life!
what's funny about that? I have a childhood buddy that called me out of the blue one day; I knew he had moved to Wisconsin; but the weird part is that he also lives in Wausau now (and coulda saved me the hotel bill for the nite, lol)

the deere hygard low vis is an iso 32, reg hygard is iso 46-68.

looks from the info provided the hygard low vis meets your specs

went back to Farm&Fleet and bought the 2-1/2 gallon jug of AW-32. Drained, flushed and refilled it yesterday; so far so good. I may drain it and refill it (again) after a few mowings as a flush; I have no clue when (or if) it was ever changed before.

That would be good cheap insurance to drain and refill it again after a few hours use. Better safe than sorry.

Nice collection of Chrysler products you have there. If your ever up this way again give a shout, it will get you a free meal.

All my cars are rust free. A simple trip through the car wash once a week in the winter to get the under carriage flush will keep the rust away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back