Super Tech ST3614 - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first cut open filter. You can draw your own conclusions.

Application: 1998 Lexus LS400
Service Mileage: 6,693 miles
Service Time: 4/6/2008 to 3/14/2010
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

ST3614001.jpg

Photo 1. Can

ST3614002.jpg

Photo 2. Element

ST3614003.jpg

Photo 3. Element (rotated 180 degrees from Photo 2). Note seam. Media glued to end caps in this position.

ST3614006.jpg

Photo 4. Inside of seam.
27.gif
No detectable hole in media. Unfortunately, I don't know if the media was torn prior to installation. Media feels "crispy" and not "soggy" like I thought it would.

It is regrettable that you would use this filter on that car. If you must use a Wal-Mart filter, use the MotorCraft FL1A. I've used it on my LS400 with good results.
Thanks for sharing by the way.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
It is regrettable that you would use this filter on that car. If you must use a Wal-Mart filter, use the MotorCraft FL1A. I've used it on my LS400 with good results.

Calling it a Wal-Mart filer is a bit condescending. The car is 12 years old, and that filter (general Filter) is as good as any. FL1A is not going to fit on that car

You have a quality older vehicle (Lexus)....It just seems to me you would want better filtration than a ST...and pony up a few extra dollars for a quality filter such as a Purolator PureOne, Bosch Preminum, Wix or a Mobil 1

BITOG Warning: Since I mentioned Pureolator and Bosch...we should be hearing from labman shortly...defending the use of cheap filters.

Last edited:
This is about as cheap as you can make a filter. This car deserves better. I agree with Oregoonian choices , even a Purolator Classic would be much better then this piece of junk Super Tech.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
ST is a great low cost filter.

No need for a $12 Mobil 1 filter to get the 'job' done

Penny wise -- and dollar foolish

The Motorcraft is not a Walmart filter, it is only sold there.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Calling it a Wal-Mart filer is a bit condescending. The car is 12 years old, and that filter (general Filter) is as good as any. FL1A is not going to fit on that car

1) Wal-Mart is the only retailer for that filter, as far as I know. They also are known to strangle their suppliers to offer bottom-spec products at a low price point.
1a) That filter is as good as any? The filter media ruptured. That's a failure.
2) You can't compare a 12 year old LS400 to other 12 year old cars.
3) How do you know that the FL1A doesn't work on that car? Because I know for sure that it works on _MY_ LS400.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

The Motorcraft is not a Walmart filter, it is only sold there.
Oh I know that, but I'm talking about filters sold at Wal-Mart. I should have clarified that point.
The ST however is - by all means - a Wal-Mart filter, but we all know that.

Why would you use expensive syn and a dirt cheap filter?

You should match up the quality of the stuff that's going to be working together, especially for longer OCI's.

I don't care what anybody says that filter is no better the an orange can. weather filtering makes a car last longer or not ( Which nobody knows ) it seems crazy to skimp on the oil filter.

By adding a WHOLE 2 bux to your OC you can get a much better built filter. probably change oil twice a year....4 bux a year. Thats 2 dollors less then a big mac meal, less then a pack of cigerttes, 8 tacos at jack in the Box, 1.5 gallons of gas ( if we are lucky )....seems silly

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I don't care what anybody says that filter is no better the an orange can. weather filtering makes a car last longer or not ( Which nobody knows ) it seems crazy to skimp on the oil filter.

By adding a WHOLE 2 bux to your OC you can get a much better built filter. probably change oil twice a year....4 bux a year. Thats 2 dollors less then a big mac meal, less then a pack of cigerttes, 8 tacos at jack in the Box, 1.5 gallons of gas ( if we are lucky )....seems silly

haha :D

I am using a Mobil 1 M-209 with PP 5w-30 on a 2001 RX-300. Filter was $7.00. Oil was $20 with Auto Zone oil change special. I am using the SuperTech ST3614 on a Murray rider with a Briggs Motor. That seems to be a better use for the SuperTech.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

IMO the filter was left too long. 2 year OCI.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I am using a Mobil 1 M-209 with PP 5w-30 on a 2001 RX-300. Filter was $7.00. Oil was $20 with Auto Zone oil change special. I am using the SuperTech ST3614 on a Murray rider with a Briggs Motor. That seems to be a better use for the SuperTech.

Where did you purchase a Mobil 1 filter for $7 ?

Last time I checked w/ AZ...they were $12.99.

At $7 I would purchase a bunch of them .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: paulo57509

IMO the filter was left too long. 2 year OCI.

+1

SuperTechs and most filters (especially low-end ones) are designed for the OEM service interval. This filter was left on the car for nearly two years. Adhesives were probably weakened over that period of time. So, why is the filter to blame?

Escare!!

i love saying that lol.

I have a pile of STs I need to cut open. kinda like I cut open every fram I can find. SuperTech's turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back