03 LANCER ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 03 or 04 lancer OZ rally edition auto. Its near 60-70k. I did a ATF drain and fill with huyandai ATF because they were the same one but mitsu wanted $13/bottle and hyandai wanted $9/bottle. It was SPIII or SP4.

I did that at 30-40k that was before i found out about this place. Everyone told me to ONLY RUN OE FLUID. people claim of slippage and etc.

When i did the drain/fill at 30-40k the fluid looked a little brown to me, least compared to the NEW stuff. The new stuff was 100% no doubt red. the old fluid was one those you had to argue red or brown type of shades. NOT Black but in certain light it can be red and some can be brown. Well i'm looking to do another drain and fill. trans is not slipping so i'm going to keep doing what i'm doing. hopefully this little car makes it past 100k since i just did the belt on it.

What type of fluid do you guys recommend me run? Any addictive i can add to help?

I always used Dextron III with Lubeguard additive in Mitsubishi's without any problems.Now I am at a Mitsi dealer and we only use SP3 in all Mitsubishis.

Use ATF+4. It is high-quality fluid, and can be bought at any WalMart, etc. for much less than $9/qt.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
What type of fluid do you guys recommend me run?

The factory recommends the Hyundai/Mitsubishi/Kia SPIII ATF.

An elemental analysis of this ATF looks much like the current Mercon V.

However, Hyundai/Kia and Mitsubishi share some tranmissions with Chrysler vehicles, for which Chrysler recommends ATF +4.

That would seem to indicate you could also use ATF +4, and I have in my Hyundai.

In addition the major additive manufacturers, Lubrizol, Oronite, Infineum, and so on have all introduced additive packages that purport to allow an ATF to be used in many different modern friction modified applications. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, and others recommend their ATFs for such diverse applications as replacing SP III, Toyota T-IV, and Mercon V.

So, if it is out of warranty or you're not concerned about dealing with Mitsubishi, you've got a pretty wide selection that should work fine.

I use Red Line and Mobil 1 in my cars.

Use ATF+4, or a universal multivehicle ATF like Valvoline Maxlife, Amsoil, Amalie, RoyalPurple....

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
What type of fluid do you guys recommend me run?

The factory recommends the Hyundai/Mitsubishi/Kia SPIII ATF.

An elemental analysis of this ATF looks much like the current Mercon V.

However, Hyundai/Kia and Mitsubishi share some tranmissions with Chrysler vehicles, for which Chrysler recommends ATF +4.

That would seem to indicate you could also use ATF +4, and I have in my Hyundai.

In addition the major additive manufacturers, Lubrizol, Oronite, Infineum, and so on have all introduced additive packages that purport to allow an ATF to be used in many different modern friction modified applications. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, and others recommend their ATFs for such diverse applications as replacing SP III, Toyota T-IV, and Mercon V.

So, if it is out of warranty or you're not concerned about dealing with Mitsubishi, you've got a pretty wide selection that should work fine.

I use Red Line and Mobil 1 in my cars.

The car is COMPLETELY out of warranty. I do all the work on the car. At most this car is worth 5k being a lancer with 60k on it.

I dont know what the ATF interval is, i like to stick with the normal 30k. If its true about the fluid turning brown GREAT, makes me feel much better. I informed my GF as its her car that the fluid is brown, might be on its way out. We will ride it out was what we figured.

I'm going after market fluid for sure. You guys think supertech ATF+4 should be solid enough. I use their oil when i cant find a good deal on brand name oils. I do plan on just replacing every 30k. Should i just roll with that, most likely about $3-5 per bottle.

I use redline +4 for my t-case in the G35 and well i'll most likely use it for the ATF once i run out of my bottles of Matic-J

i think i shall use ST ATF+4 should be $4 a bottle.

any extra stuff to add or is the ST stuff already taken care of the extras i need.

Was at wal-mart last night. Took a quick look over their ATF.

I saw 2 that somewhat fit, no bottle directly stated SP III compatible. But ATF+4 and ATF V ( i think it was V or ATF-5)
both had mentions of "SOME chylser/mitsu/ hyndai" trans. But not all... the +4 bottle was either about .50 cents - 1.25 more then the other.

I wish there was just an one all inclusive bottle. I didn't want to buy and find out it was wrong.

Also the PS fluid is low. Should just any DEX 3 ATF work for the fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back