Special antiseize for oxygen sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to install a new O2 sensor in an aftermarket exhaust. There is some antiseize already smeared on parts of the O2 sensor threads. It doesn't look like the high gloss antiseize like Permatex. What type of antiseize do you recommend for an O2 sensor?

Id use what is on there.

I'd also imagine that given the conditions, it may be a more severe duty item, perhaps Cu or Ni based? On my diesels, all the exhaust hardware is copper, likely for a reason...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Maybe the antiseize needs to be electrically conductive?

I think your right about that.I have heard about that once before.

This may sound crazy but we use Milk-of-Magnesia (unflavored, of course) on many hot-section aircraft turbine parts when we reassemble them during overhaul. Pratt&Whitney actually lists a part number for it.

I don't know what's in it but it certainly works and it doesn't cause corrosion of metals in the exhaust gas path.

And all these years I thought those mechanics had those bottles on their boxes because of the cafeteria food.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
This may sound crazy but we use Milk-of-Magnesia (unflavored, of course) on many hot-section aircraft turbine parts when we reassemble them during overhaul. Pratt&Whitney actually lists a part number for it.

I don't know what's in it but it certainly works and it doesn't cause corrosion of metals in the exhaust gas path.

And all these years I thought those mechanics had those bottles on their boxes because of the cafeteria food.

Now that`s funny....
48.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Maybe the antiseize needs to be electrically conductive?

You could coat the threads with silicone dielectric grease and there would still be electrical continuity between the two parts.

Enough of the grease gets displaced to allow that. It doesn't need to be conductive.

You can use regular Permatex anti-seize. That's what I use on o2 sensors that I reinstall. Never a problem.

I read on the Permatex website that the copper antisieze was recommended for O2 sensors. The regular and nickel made no mention of O2 sensors. I may buy some copper and save the regular stuff for spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Use whatever anti seize.
But don't let it get on the sensor end in any way!

Actually, the sensor had some antiseize smeared on the end of it from the plastic packaging. The AS had rubbed off from the threads onto the plastic, then the plastic smeared some AS on the end of the sensor. So I cleaned the AS from the sensor end with some brake cleaner. Fortunately, it appears no AS got into the holes on the end of the sensor. Should I be OK, or do the holes have to be cleaned with a Q-tip and brake cleaner as well as a precaution? I have never worked with an O2 sensor before, so this is all new for me.

I just bought a Denso O2 sensor today and it came with a little tube of copper antiseize.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Use whatever anti seize.
But don't let it get on the sensor end in any way!

Actually, the sensor had some antiseize smeared on the end of it from the plastic packaging. The AS had rubbed off from the threads onto the plastic, then the plastic smeared some AS on the end of the sensor. So I cleaned the AS from the sensor end with some brake cleaner. Fortunately, it appears no AS got into the holes on the end of the sensor. Should I be OK, or do the holes have to be cleaned with a Q-tip and brake cleaner as well as a precaution? I have never worked with an O2 sensor before, so this is all new for me.

I was always told not to expose the sensor to any kind of chemicals. I hope you didn't kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back