98 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 oil and gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got this 4 wheeler a month ago. i changed the gear oil (front and rear diffys) to valvoline Durablend 80w90.. the oil i used Valvoline motorcycle 4stroke oil 10w40. how does the valv 4 stroke motor oil hold up?? thats about all i see around here. filers i can get fram and emgo. any tips and advice would be appreciated

try some searching,this has been posted before,lots of good reading here on this subject.

few posts bellow this one..

I've got the same rig, mines a 92. Great machines. You can't go wrong with what you put in there. If mine was in better shape I'd put in the same exact thing you did. I use marine gear lube in mine, leftfover from a boat I used to have and regular old 10W40 with no problems.....have fun with that Honda, it will last a long time......

you do use the 4 stroke motor oil right dude? you said plain ole 10w40. just making sure we are on the same page lol

Originally Posted By: daman
try some searching,this has been posted before,lots of good reading here on this subject.

yeah i know MOST of it is for auto tranny 4wheelers and i don not have an auto. so ill need the wetclutch protection as well... what seems to be the better oil dino and or syn that does have the wetclutch additives as well?

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

yeah i know MOST of it is for auto tranny 4wheelers and i don not have an auto. so ill need the wetclutch protection as well... what seems to be the better oil dino and or syn that does have the wetclutch additives as well?

No man,,that IS for wet clutch use,any HDEO will work,i like synthetics my self to help protect with the high heat these air cooled engines produce but 15w40s work very well also.

any HDEO 15w40 or 5w40 is where it's at.

No man,,that IS for wet clutch use,any HDEO will work,i like synthetics my self to help protect with the high heat these air cooled engines produce but 15w40s work very well also.

so even for the wet clutches you can use a HDEO?? also can you give me an example of good HDEO's syn and dino? sorry man i dont know much about that oil at all..

Last edited:

so even for the wet clutches you can use a HDEO?? also can you give me an example of good HDEO's syn and dino? sorry man i dont know much about that oil at all..

Spend some time reading in the MC/power sports forum lots of good reading there,yes even for wet clutches it's fine to use,what you do not want however is a oil with a high amount(PPM)of moly,thats what could make a clutch slip,but HDEOs don't have that moly so it's fine and highly recommended to use,that's all i use in my Yamaha warrior.

[/quote]
Spend some time reading in the MC/power sports forum lots of good reading there,yes even for wet clutches it's fine to use,what you do not want however is a oil with a high amount(PPM)of moly,thats what could make a clutch slip,but HDEOs don't have that moly so it's fine and highly recommended to use,that's all i use in my Yamaha warrior. [/quote]

thanks for the time and replies daman.. what is the major deal between regular 4 stroke oils and HDEO? how do you know for a fact it is ok to use it other than "i use it and my clutches are ok" type deal? lol just curious and thanks again bud

Well we know for a "fact" it's "ok" to use because for 1 it's been used by thousands and thousands of MC/ATV owners over the years and IF there was a issue these type forums would be stating that fact right?

for 2 just what i posted above,moly is the no no here and there is nothing(according to VOA's)in a MC oil that makes it a magical MC oil,compared to a HDEO,look and compare,plus a HDEO is going to be waaay more robustly built better made oil so it'll hold up and resit shearing and additive depletion better.

and for 3 shell rotella 5w40 and i do believe the 15w40 IS JASO MC cert., so their ya go i don't know any way better to explain it.

do some reading. : )

Well we know for a "fact" it's "ok" to use because for 1 it's been used by thousands and thousands of MC/ATV owners over the years and IF there was a issue these type forums would be stating that fact right?

for 2 just what i posted above,moly is the no no here and there is nothing(according to VOA's)in a MC oil that makes it a magical MC oil,compared to a HDEO,look and compare,plus a HDEO is going to be waaay more robustly built better made oil so it'll hold up and resit shearing and additive depletion better.

and for 3 shell rotella 5w40 and i do believe the 15w40 IS JASO MC cert., so their ya go i don't know any way better to explain it.

do some reading. : )

i have been reading and still have not found this concrete proof i am looking for but again i just started lol.. thanks again bud you du man.

so the rotella 5w40 and the 15w40 is where its at regarding dino oils for atvs.. what about synthtic and would it be wisse of me to use a synthetic in a 98 honda that has been ridden for many miles?

the 5w40 IS a synthetic

or you can run Mobil 1 15w50,amsoil 20w50,15w40 on and on....

i assume the 15w40 shell rotella is not? and you are sure these are cool in atv's LOL :) thanks again bud

the 5w40 IS a synthetic

or you can run Mobil 1 15w50,amsoil 20w50,15w40 on and on....

i assume the 15w40 shell rotella is not? and you are sure these are cool in atv's LOL :) thanks again bud

right the shell 15w40 is not a syn, if you want to run that crazy over priced oil compared to what others say and do,go ahead,im done ranting about this, run what you think is best.

please do some reading.....

mike step back a take a deep breath bro.these machines,honda trx 300's,are imho the absolute best all around atv even made.they will go like the energizer bunny.i second what daman says.use the rotella t synthetic 5w-40 or the dino rotella t 15w-40 with absolute confidence.i also have a 1996 honda trx 300 fourtrax and i run the syn in it w/o issues.as for the diffs i am running shell rotella 80w-90 gear oil.dude that is screwy as i was just about to post up everyones opinions on this gear oil as being used in atv diffs.
try the rotella t,i just bought some stock in rds and need the moolah bro,
whitearrow->>>----------------->

thanks guys and sorry daman. didnt mean to get on the nerve.

as for gear oils i have some valvoline durablend 80w90 for those. durablend is decent. i do like shell/penzoil products better

Last edited:
thanks guys and sorry daman. didnt mean to get on the nerve.

as for gear oils i have some valvoline durablend 80w90 for those. durablend is decent. i do like shell/penzoil products better

Actually you didn't,it just came out that way after i posted,sorry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back