SuperTech Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change out the diff lube on my 05 Titan. (I have posted earlier about recommended lubes). It needs synthetic 75-140. I was checking out my local wally mart and noticed the ST 75-140 "full Synthetic" near the boat section. It was 10 bucks a quart. Should I risk it? Has anyone else used it in their diffs? I know ST motor oils are okay. If it is iffy, then I will use M-1 or Redline. My truck does not see much towing, but the rear diff is a little delicate for the torque that the VK56DE puts out (I am pretty much stock). This diff has the towing gears (3.357).

Thanks,
Dave

i am running supertech dino gear oil in everything i have for the last ten years, and no problems. mike

ANY GL5 75w140 can be used.
I myself prefer the name brand products.

Since the 'end isn't changed too frequently, I'd definitely step up to M1 or equivalent.

There was a VOA of supertech gear oil a few years back that showed it lacking AW/EP additives. Cutting corners for the discount price???? I wouldn't use it without a VOA, especially on a known deficient rear end.

The cost of a virgin oil analysis added to the cost of the supertech puts you into Amsoil, Redline, Mobil1, RoyalPurple, Motul.... territory.

Forgive me here, but I believe most gear oils don't contain AW additives. A gear oil is chemically created to withstand shearing at specific weights. A gear oil isn't as exposed to horrid conditions like an engine is.

Not meant to smell as good as it either(stuff wreaks!)

I think I will just drop the extra bones for a known/proven lube. M-1 has been good to me in other diff's and my old Alpha One stern drive on my boat.

Thanks,
Dave

correct me if i am wrong? hasn't nissan had problems with its rear wheel drive axles?

i would go with synthetic and change it often.

Yes, Nissan has had problems with the Dana 44 axle. Mainly in 04 models, the diff would overheat. In 05 Nissan added an aluminum finned cover and specified Synthetic 75w-140. Mine has the finned cover and right on the diff, near the fill plug, there is a tag stating 75W-140 synthetic only.

I am going to fill with M-1.
Dave

I really believe the Supertech would be just fine.
But like mentioned, it is changed so infrequently that I would prefer a 'name' brand in my own vehicle.

Why? I dunno... just chicken.

Just one caveat, and that is the viscosities of the SuperTech gear oil at 100C is too low for my tastes. They seem to blend to the lower edge of the viscosity range.

I think if you are doing 30k change intervals and using quality oil, you should have no problems. Most of the failures I saw when I worked at a Nissan dealer were the early un-finned models. But even those, the customers that had the gear oil changed every 30k never seemed to have any problems, we used the 75w140 nissan oil.
In my opinion, I would do a diff fluid change after 8-10k for break in, then every 30k after that, I have seen a lot of break in wear shavings in rear diffs from any brand.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
Getting ready to change out the diff lube on my 05 Titan. (I have posted earlier about recommended lubes). It needs synthetic 75-140. I was checking out my local wally mart and noticed the ST 75-140 "full Synthetic" near the boat section. It was 10 bucks a quart. Should I risk it? Has anyone else used it in their diffs? I know ST motor oils are okay. If it is iffy, then I will use M-1 or Redline. My truck does not see much towing, but the rear diff is a little delicate for the torque that the VK56DE puts out (I am pretty much stock). This diff has the towing gears (3.357).

Thanks,
Dave

34.gif

Wal-Mart oil, (Super Tech) is just Pennzoil or Exxon oil, depending what part of the county you live in. Warren Dist. is a marketing co. that labels and bottles what Wal-Mart wants to sell. Wal-Mart wanted to use Pennzoil and Exxon. Bad thing about Super Tech oil is you save money
11.gif

55.gif

Originally Posted By: acme

Thanks,
Dave

34.gif

Wal-Mart oil, (Super Tech) is just Pennzoil or Exxon oil, depending what part of the county you live in. Warren Dist. is a marketing co. that labels and bottles what Wal-Mart wants to sell. Wal-Mart wanted to use Pennzoil and Exxon. Bad thing about Super Tech oil is you save money
11.gif

55.gif

I might believe that if ST wasn't caught selling gears oils that were out of spec for the viscosity listed.

Have you seen the Wal-Mart refinery? No because it's just oil & gear lube made by the big few & re-labeled. For the most part just get what's called for in the specs. I do go name brand & higher cost at times though. I just went with amsoil 'severe gear' in my 2003 truck yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Have you seen the Wal-Mart refinery? No because it's just oil & gear lube made by the big few & re-labeled. For the most part just get what's called for in the specs. I do go name brand & higher cost at times though. I just went with amsoil 'severe gear' in my 2003 truck yesterday.

Super Tech oil products come from Warren Performance Products, part of Warren Distribution.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: acme

Thanks,
Dave

34.gif

11.gif

55.gif

I might believe that if ST wasn't caught selling gears oils that were out of spec for the viscosity listed.

Labeling errors take place in all oil companies, one extra quality step cured that. It's a gamble with major oil companies too
33.gif

55.gif

I may be incorrect but I thought I've heard of a problem with ST gear oil one time in the past. I've used the conventional 80w-90 with no problem but I mainly run Pennzoil or Valvoline. Personally, I'd shell out a few extra dollars and go with a proven name brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back