Duralast Gold Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a little bored and checked out my girlfriend's battery, which is a Duralast Gold from a few years ago. Hooked it up on the charger and it read 85% full so I trickle charged it.

My question is are Duralast Golds maintenance free? It doesn't say so on the battery and it has vent caps...so I'm guessing it isn't and I should pull the covers to check if I need to add water.

On a side note, so far so good...looked them up online and read they have an 8-year pro-rated warranty. Not bad though I don't know how well they pro-rate.

Last edited:
I have one in my Trans Am and my 89 GMC 1 ton. I have killed the Trans Am's twice over the past 5 years by leaving something on and each time it has been jumped, started and fine ever since.
I have been very pleased with them.

Put one in my wifes F150 when I bought it 2 years ago. No problems from the battery, very good warranty, and AZs are everywhere [censored] near so I am a happy camper.

At 85% charged I would not even bother to put a trickle charge on it unless I was going to use it for a long discharge application like powering a boat electric trolling motor. The CCA at 85% charge is probably close to 100%. The danger of some damage by overcharging outweighs any advantage of going from 85% to 100%. 85% charged is plenty.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think Duralast Gold is made by Johnson Controls and sold by AutoZone, it's very good battery.

This.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
At 85% charged I would not even bother to put a trickle charge on it unless I was going to use it for a long discharge application like powering a boat electric trolling motor. The CCA at 85% charge is probably close to 100%. The danger of some damage by overcharging outweighs any advantage of going from 85% to 100%. 85% charged is plenty.

What damage? Overcharging yes, but a smart charger that cuts out at, say,
Id be fearful of even a low-rate dummy charger, but a smart charger should be fine, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back