02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
If it were my car, I'd run Mobil 1 with a cheap Ford oil filter rather than a cheap oil and the M1 filter....You will get much better results and can run longer change intervals. I think Ford recommends 5000 miles max? - with Mobil 1 you could run that long between changes even with lots of heavy towing.

TooSlick

Well I like running a Mobil filter with Mobil oil...as long as everyone is happy..right?
fruit.gif

Greaser, I own a 02 Explorer Sport Trac. I tow a boat, as well as a camper every once and a while, so I change at 3000. I am currently running 5W30 Mobil Drive Clean with a Motorcraft FL850s oil filter. I am thinking about staying with the Motorcraft filter, but running Mobil 1 5W30 for 5000 mile intervals. I should be posting thr UOA of the Mobil Drive Clean in another week or so. -Joe

[ February 17, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
Greaser, I own a 02 Explorer Sport Trac. I tow a boat, as well as a camper every once and a while, so I change at 3000. I am currently running 5W30 Mobil Drive Clean with a Motorcraft FL850s oil filter. I am thinking about staying with the Motorcraft filter, but running Mobil 1 5W30 for 5000 mile intervals. I should be posting thr UOA of the Mobil Drive Clean in another week or so. -Joe

Using the Mobil 1 synthetic oil and the Motorcraft filter combo should give that Sport Trac a loooong life
fruit.gif

Just to add a little opinion on replacing the air filter every 3000 miles: that seems like overkill to me unless you're running your car under extremely dusty conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by Craig L:
Just to add a little opinion on replacing the air filter every 3000 miles: that seems like overkill to me unless you're running your car under extremely dusty conditions.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion I guess..but when it comes to taking care of a major investment good maintenance procedures are a smart thing to do...some of us are
gr_eek2.gif
..but it makes me feel good to baby my engine
fruit.gif

John, the 5w30 Motorcraft oil is a hydrocracked oil and looks to be of very good quality. The Motorcraft oil filter is also of very good quality and is built to Ford spec. These are both in stock at every walmart I have seen and priced right, $1.33/qt. for the oil and under $3 for the filter. This combination should give excellent protection for your new truck.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:

quote:

Originally posted by Craig L:

Every one is entitled to their own opinion I guess..but when it comes to taking care of a major investment good maintenance procedures are a smart thing to do...some of us are
gr_eek2.gif
..but it makes me feel good to baby my engine
fruit.gif

The only problem with that though is that everytime you open up the airbox to change the filter, you let in a little bit more dirt, so in a way you're doing more harm than good by changing the air filter before it's really needed. Doing it every 10,000 miles is probably more than good enough. I don't find air filters clog up very fast at all up here. I could go 20k and they still look like new.

True...and the seal gets cracked which isn't a good thing either...I do my filters every 6 months..but we're talking off-roading here so the service schedule is a bit different than a street driven vehicle..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back