Oil Recommendation for Subaru WRX STI (EJ207)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

Great forum you've got here. I've just registered as I'm trying to decide what oil to run in my freshly swapped car. I'm just about finished my swap. Its a V7 2.0L STI Motor (EJ207). When I received the front clip and pulled the motor, I drained it and the oil was definitely very sludge-like but Im not an expert in oil by any means so it could have been that it was just because it was sitting in a yard for a couple of years.

I've read the "What oil should I use sticky" so here goes:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
As I said, its a Subaru Impreza WRX STI from Japan. Turbocharged, revs to 8250. I will be running a full turbo-back 3" exhaust and an electronic boost control solenoid.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
The service manual says to use 4.5L of 5w30 and to make sure it has API classification.

3. Where you live
I live in Alberta, Canada. The weather can go from -50*C in the winter to about +35*C in the summer but can be quite variable day to day.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I would say that I dont bag on the motor but I have been known to drive hard and fast. The car will see the odd track and autocross day and while I have no problem changing the fluids before and after those, I dont really want to be switching to a different fluid just for a track day.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
My daily drive is quite short and the majority of my drives will be less than 15-20mins.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
No known problems right now, but that's because I haven't started it up yet.

As far as preferences, I prefer synthetic and would like it to be available locally. I'm good at changing the oil very regularly at whatever interval is required so there's no issue there.

So far, I've been looking at three oils. My regular shop does its changes with Amsoil and Eneos. On my old motor I was running the Amsoil 5w30 and had no issues, right up until I blew the head gasket. My local Subaru club is going nuts over the Eneos stuff (first time i've heard about it) but its mostly seat-of-the-pants: "I did a change to Eneos and now my car runs much better" and Im looking for something more when Im making my decision.

The third one was recommended to me by a member of that club who has the same motor and its the Shell Rotella-T. He says he got the recommendation from this forum but I can't find that thread.

All three oils are readily available. I mention that my local shop has Amsoil and Eneos available because, as much as I like to do my own oil changes, sometimes I just dont have the time and need to get it changed before a road trip. They would have no problem with me bringing in another brand of oil though. If there is definitely another brand that I should go with, I can probably get ahold of it as well.

Also, my plan is to get the car running and then after about 2-300km do an oil change to try to get most of the old oil and sludge out of the motor. If there's any other suggestions with respect to that, I would appreciate them as well.

Thanks in advance,

- Z

Last edited:
Turbo. Short trips. Occasional track day.

All these scream "synthetic" to me. [insert the usual comment that most oils are great these days]

I don't know anything about Eneos. IMO you can't go wrong with Amsoil.

This is a tough one for me. You're outside the lines a bit on a couple of margins. You're in a variable severe cold start situation ..not really doing long trips ..you track it ..and have a chipped turbo. That's a big foot print to cover in any all inclusive package. You could use 0w ..you surely need a higher HTHS

SSO would be fill the bill, but what a waste of an extended drain oil. RTS would work, but make no mistake about it, that "5w" isn't any free ride to operating visc @ -XXC. You'll be pumping glue.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

It is refreshing to see someone that actually read the sticky and posted their questions accordingly. Thank you

Since your local shop uses Amsoil and you like the brand, I concur with Gary and think the Amsoil SSO would be an excellent choice. Amsoil makes one 0W-30 and a couple of 5W-30's that would work in your car. I would recommend the Amsoil over the Enos.

I also concur with your friend that uses the Shell Rotella T Synthetic which would be thicker at operating temps than a xxW-30, but I don't think it would be quite as thick as glue.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Wow. Lots of acronyms to look up.

As far as the cold starts, my car is parked overnight in a heated underground parkade. It would be rare that I would leave it outside overnight in that temperature. However, during the winter, there is always a week where we get a solid -40*C during the day so it would be a very cold start at 5PM when I leave work because its an outdoor parking lot. The car does have a block heater which I plug in whenever it gets below -20*C though. I also know to properly warm up the car before pushing it, however, on those short cold drives to work, it barely gets up to operating temperature before I pull into the office.

I dont have a problem switching to 0W30 in winter if that's what is required. Mostly, Im looking for whatever is right for my situation.

As far as tracking it goes, I would say that my car will see 1-2 Auto-X events per year, about 5-10 trips down the drag strip and maybe one day around the track if I get organized and registered. The purpose of the car build, however, is not a track car. Its a daily driver that i'll enjoy bringing to the track in my spare time.

Last edited:
So, the engineer in me is asking what makes the SSO that much better than other choices for my application?

The overall combination of the base stock and the additive package that they use. Amsoil put a lot of research in to this oil, and as for as I'm concerned they have hit a home run.

No I do not work for Amsoil and I do not use Amsoil. I use Pennzoil products for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

No I do not work for Amsoil and I do not use Amsoil. I use Pennzoil products for obvious reasons.

The thought never crossed my mind :)

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Quote:
but I don't think it would be quite as thick as glue.

lol.gif
I just meant it would be heavier during the entire process. He'll be pumping lighter glue with SSO at those after work starts @ -XxC
55.gif

In his normal driving he doesn't even require a 20 grade. I doubt he's on the visc scale (70 weight) when the engine turns off.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

It'll be hard to beat Amsoil for cold start performance. SSO should be a great oil for you.

About the only other thing I can think of that you can get locally, and that will perform similarly over a broad range of temperatures, would be Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (a.k.a. German Castrol). Heck of a stout oil. Should be a bit cheaper, too. I can't imagine it being better than Amsoil SSO, though.

Don't know anything about Eneos, unfortunately. You're right to be suspicious of the butt dyno. I wish there were people here who could fill in that blank...

Good luck!

I`d definitely go with the Amsoil as well. If their engine oil is anything like their manual tranny fluid and rear diff oil,you`ll be amazed!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, no one recommending one of the group 3 based "synthetics"????What happened to all the cheerleaders for Ultra?????

Pretty sure the original oil was dino. You can bet SSO will be thicker than that at really high temps, especially after some use.

there's like 7 subarus in my family, 3 of them are JDM (actually imported from japan), and 2 are STIs.

I can tell you... they like GC, M1 0w40, don't go too thick.. and they all burn oil, it's just normal for all subarus

I would probably run something a little more robust than Amsoil SSO in a JDM STI that sees track time. For Amsoil, I would probably go with PowerSports AFF 0W-40, DEO 5W-40, or AFL 5W-40.

Otherwise maybe Syntec 0W-30 (GC), as mentioned above, or a 0W-40 like Red Line or Mobil1. Rotella T is also becoming popular among the Subaru crowd.

My uoa on SSO .

19.gif

-Dennis

For the brutal cold winter months in Calgary I would use either Toyota or Honda 0W20, then change to German Castrol 0W30 or M1 0W40 for summer months and track times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back