Recent Topics
Anabond 230 for bonding brake linings
by sdowney717 - 10/23/19 07:29 AM
2010 Mazda 3 FL400s options
by Sixxer - 10/23/19 06:50 AM
Anyone with a golf cart?
by Pat in Speedway - 10/23/19 06:05 AM
Motorkote, Amsoil test says it has lots of chlorine
by sdowney717 - 10/23/19 05:53 AM
Buying Used BMW Checklist
by chims - 10/23/19 05:46 AM
Freedom 95 furnace doesn't keep house warm long
by laoshanren - 10/22/19 11:36 PM
2006 Altima 2.5 oil leak
by LeakySeals - 10/22/19 10:34 PM
fishing licenses on boats
by motor_oil_madman - 10/22/19 10:16 PM
Tokyo Motor Show 2019
by PimTac - 10/22/19 10:14 PM
More Quick Chargers
by Snagglefoot - 10/22/19 09:48 PM
'08 Chrysler Sebring Test Drive
by Fifth87 - 10/22/19 08:42 PM
Testing old coolant
by ARB1977 - 10/22/19 08:20 PM
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W30
by HoosierJeeper - 10/22/19 07:44 PM
Bought a unknown air rifle and need help.
by jakewells - 10/22/19 07:26 PM
What happens to used cars that don't sell?
by WhyMe - 10/22/19 07:11 PM
Newest Members
flyyamata, laoshanren, Vincenze, Alex_CB300R_ABS, TSOC
69652 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (advocate, andyd, alarmguy, Aredeeem, 2015_PSD, AEHaas, 6 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics296,370
Posts5,096,427
Members69,652
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18182 02/15/03 08:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,871
R
rugerman1 Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,871
Greaser ,
Bob did a test that might interest you The Test Is Complete and here are the results.
Started out to be an oil test,ended up being a filter test too.

Mark

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18183 02/15/03 10:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,537
M
MNgopher Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,537
Overkill in this case meant the Mobil 1 filter generally costs $10 or more around here. Other filters are availible for much less than this that will deal with a 3,000 mile interval just fine. Heck, there are tons of cars out there that operate on the dreaded Fram filter with regular changes just fine.

Bobs results, while certainly not the most scientific, were interesting.

I'll even note here that I use a Purolator Pure One which gets thumbs down as being too restrctive and too thin a case by some here, but my regular parts house stocks only Frams and Purolators, no motorcrafts, so that is what I use. Pure Ones only cost me $5, sometimes less on sale when I stock up! [Cool]

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18184 02/15/03 05:30 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
G
Greaser Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
quote:
Originally posted by rugerman1:
Greaser ,
Bob did a test that might interest you The Test Is Complete and here are the results.
Started out to be an oil test,ended up being a filter test too.

Mark

Yes I read that post..don't buy it...sorry.

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18185 02/15/03 07:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,785
T
TooSlick Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 5,785
If it were my car, I'd run Mobil 1 with a cheap Ford oil filter rather than a cheap oil and the M1 filter....You will get much better results and can run longer change intervals. I think Ford recommends 5000 miles max? - with Mobil 1 you could run that long between changes even with lots of heavy towing.

TooSlick

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18186 02/15/03 11:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 403
G
Giles Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 403
I have an '02 Explorer and I'm running M1 5w30 and have posted some results on this forum.

After much research, I decided to go with the Motorcraft filter for now, and might switch the the K&N filter. I will be posting follow up results in a couple weeks on my oil change that has 4000 miles on it.

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18187 02/16/03 12:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
G
Greaser Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
quote:
Originally posted by TooSlick:
If it were my car, I'd run Mobil 1 with a cheap Ford oil filter rather than a cheap oil and the M1 filter....You will get much better results and can run longer change intervals. I think Ford recommends 5000 miles max? - with Mobil 1 you could run that long between changes even with lots of heavy towing.

TooSlick

Well I like running a Mobil filter with Mobil oil...as long as everyone is happy..right? [Happy]

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18188 02/16/03 06:47 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,107
joee12 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,107
Greaser, I own a 02 Explorer Sport Trac. I tow a boat, as well as a camper every once and a while, so I change at 3000. I am currently running 5W30 Mobil Drive Clean with a Motorcraft FL850s oil filter. I am thinking about staying with the Motorcraft filter, but running Mobil 1 5W30 for 5000 mile intervals. I should be posting thr UOA of the Mobil Drive Clean in another week or so. -Joe

[ February 17, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18189 02/17/03 12:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
G
Greaser Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
quote:
Originally posted by joee12:
Greaser, I own a 02 Explorer Sport Trac. I tow a boat, as well as a camper every once and a while, so I change at 3000. I am currently running 5W30 Mobil Drive Clean with a Motorcraft FL850s oil filter. I am thinking about staying with the Motorcraft filter, but running Mobil 1 5W30 for 5000 mile intervals. I should be posting thr UOA of the Mobil Drive Clean in another week or so. -Joe

Using the Mobil 1 synthetic oil and the Motorcraft filter combo should give that Sport Trac a loooong life [Happy]

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18190 02/19/03 12:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 28
C
Craig L Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 28
Just to add a little opinion on replacing the air filter every 3000 miles: that seems like overkill to me unless you're running your car under extremely dusty conditions.

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18191 02/19/03 02:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
G
Greaser Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
quote:
Originally posted by Craig L:
Just to add a little opinion on replacing the air filter every 3000 miles: that seems like overkill to me unless you're running your car under extremely dusty conditions.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion I guess..but when it comes to taking care of a major investment good maintenance procedures are a smart thing to do...some of us are [freaknout] ..but it makes me feel good to baby my engine [Happy]

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18192 02/19/03 02:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,381
M
mikemc Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,381
John, the 5w30 Motorcraft oil is a hydrocracked oil and looks to be of very good quality. The Motorcraft oil filter is also of very good quality and is built to Ford spec. These are both in stock at every walmart I have seen and priced right, $1.33/qt. for the oil and under $3 for the filter. This combination should give excellent protection for your new truck.

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18193 02/19/03 04:59 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 21,891
P
Patman Offline
Global Moderator
Offline
Global Moderator
P
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 21,891
quote:
Originally posted by Greaser:
quote:
Originally posted by Craig L:
Just to add a little opinion on replacing the air filter every 3000 miles: that seems like overkill to me unless you're running your car under extremely dusty conditions.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion I guess..but when it comes to taking care of a major investment good maintenance procedures are a smart thing to do...some of us are [freaknout] ..but it makes me feel good to baby my engine [Happy]
The only problem with that though is that everytime you open up the airbox to change the filter, you let in a little bit more dirt, so in a way you're doing more harm than good by changing the air filter before it's really needed. Doing it every 10,000 miles is probably more than good enough. I don't find air filters clog up very fast at all up here. I could go 20k and they still look like new.

Re: 02 Explorer Dino oil Mobil M1 filter? #18194 02/19/03 06:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
G
Greaser Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,992
True...and the seal gets cracked which isn't a good thing either...I do my filters every 6 months..but we're talking off-roading here so the service schedule is a bit different than a street driven vehicle..

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™