96 F150 ATF Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what ATF my 96 F150 takes. According to the door tag it has a 4R70W.

I'm coming up with two different types of ATF listed for it. Mercon III or Mercon V and the one site that mentioned using Mercon V said don't use Mercon III.

Mercon V back specs to your Ford. In newer Fords that require Mercon V, the older Mercon should not be used.

I just put Merc V in my 97 (4r70w). Works great. Merc V is backspeced for other mercon versions, and is superior to merc III, etc. Mercon V will last longer, and provide cooler transmission operating temperatures.

Generally, the consensus here on these older vehicles is to go and get the wal-mart SuperTech Mercon V @ 3.77/qt (i know that seems weird, but its pretty well supported in this case) and enjoy the cheap/just as reliable as the other brands/ upgrade.

BTW, think about installing a drain plug if you are going to go through the hassle of changing the fluid yourself, they are roughly $8 and will allow you to easily do maintenance on your transmission (less messy if changing the filter or upgrading the valve body, and just easy if you want to exchange 6+ quarts of fluid).

I'm actually doing a pan drain and fill on mine tomorrow, with merc V, using the easily installed and non-leaking B&M drain plug kit :).

Since you have the 4R70W, use Mercon V, no question about it. Mercon V was introduced in part to solve shuddering problems in that transmission that happened with Mercon.

There is still some debate on other F-Series transmissions from that era though. Some people have experienced problems using Mercon V in the E4OD and 4R100. Ford has officially back spec'd Mercon V for these engines, but in many trucks a Dex/Merc fluid works better. I just thought I'd throw that in there for other F-Series owners.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Ford has officially back spec'd Mercon V for these engines, but in many trucks a Dex/Merc fluid works better.

Oops, I meant transmissions not engines. I wouldn't advise filling a 302 with Mercon or Mercon V.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back