2007 Ford Focus Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all of you Ford experts...My Son in Law has a 2007 Ford focus and wanted to change his air filter.... He found out from Ford that it cannot be changed. It is suppose to last for 150,000 miles. I have never heard about this. Anybody know about this type of filter and what is the logic behind it.....

I only had my 05 Focus ST for 42k, but was told the same thing when I went to change it at 30k. I didn't believe them so I pulled the unit and couldn't figure out how to open the darned thing with out breaking it open. I didn't try to hard, since two dealers said it was good to go.

Doesn't the car have a restriction indicator on it. If it's in the green leave it alone. If it's in the red, they can be replaced.

More info.....http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1068237

Last edited:
it's kinda like the 6.0L diesel air filters. When it gets 3lbs full of dirt, you can replace it. it's so huge, and at $80, it's easier to kinda let it ride in the car for longer than you'd expect.

For the Focus it looks to be around 200.00 for the unit. Seems like you could purchase a lot of regular air filters for about 15 bucks every 20 thou or so and it would be a lot cheaper......

Theres a few different housings listed. They dont give a generic FA-XX Motorcraft part number with a 9601 base, all have a 9600 base like an air filter housing would have. If i can get the last 8 of the VIN i can tell exact price and part number.

Its one of those things thats cool from a technology standpoint, but at the same time really annoying.

I don't like this filter set up at all. So far all is OK with mine at 61K. The Fusion has a regular filter box.

They've been making these filters for years! They're called K&N.

crackmeup2.gif

My Ford ZX2 has a replacement schedule for the cabin air filter.
The only problem is, it does not have one.

But a cabin air filter is to help clean the air admitted to the interior for the heater and AC.
Normal operation takes in 'fresh' air, possibly through a filter, routes it through the heater or AC evaporator, and into the car interior.

150,000 seems awful high. Either the filter is almost useless to go this far without changing, or it is a royal PITA to get to.

Where are Ford haters? Air filter for a Ford Focus costs $470? What were they thinking???

Really, can anybody justify this?

I can understand if Ferrari Testarosa air filter costs $500 but not Ford Focus :)

- Vikas

From PDF:

"Compared to traditional (paper) technologies
the Long Life filter allows about 1.5 to 3 times lower dust
penetration to the engine. Again, this can be significant
for engine wear, protection and durability"

I'm off to search for UOA's on 2004 and later Ford Focus's (Foci?) to see if the have lower than normal silicon numbers...

OK, I found 5 different UOA's on 2005 and 2006 Ford Foci. The total Si was 50 and the total miles was 31897, giving an average of 1.6ppm of Si per 1K miles. This means on average, you'd have to put 6,000 miles on an oil to get silicon numbers up above single digits.

Not bad for a K&N air filter on steroids.
thumbsup2.gif

Seems like a simple air filter would have been just fine....change it every 15 to 20 thou at a cost of 10 to 20 bucks..... KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid...

Filters get more efficient as they go on. This is the ultimate evolotion of that. But I would hate to sacrifice one expensive unit in a dust storm instead of several cheaper ones.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Doesn't the car have a restriction indicator on it. If it's in the green leave it alone. If it's in the red, they can be replaced.

More info.....http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1068237

At 90,000 miles mine is still green. Waiting for someone who's had to replace one to chime in.

I think the indicator is scheduled to be checked at 100,000 miles.

The OP didn't specifically say, but with a 150,000 mile recommended replacement from Ford, I assumed he was talking about Ford's new "lifetime" engine air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back