Brand new battery...charge before first use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

11.5 Volts only indicates that the battery probably would still be usable if you charged it. At 11.5 Volts it might be close to completely discharged. I would put a charge on it after 3 years just to reduce the probability of it being stored with a very low amount of charge on it.

X2. A battery is considered discharged when it reads 11something volts and not when it reads 0 volts as you would think. Letting it sit uncharged will cause sulfation. I doubt if it will recharge since it's been sitting discharged so long.

I would recommend not charging it, just installing it and see what happens. It should have enough of a charge to start the car even if it has been sitting on the shelf for a while. As far as the alternator 'overcharging' it's not going to happen. If the alternator does go bad because it has to charge a new battery wouldn't you want to know that it was about to fail now rather than when you are on a long trip?

This is not a matter of 'need', but what is best for the battery in the long run.
All of my long term battery reps have said a charge is best. Not necessary, but the best plan if you can do it.

Chris and Jim,

My MIL had a dead battery a few months ago and I pulled out that Optima red top, slapped on some jumper cables, and cranked her car right over. I read the 11.x volts a few days later because I got to wondering.

I might put a trickle charge on it just to see if it holds a higher voltage (and for how long). Who knows? I don't use it anymore because it's a 51R and was in my old 94 Accord.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Alternators are not designed to charge the battery, just to top it up. I'd charge it at a very low rate, and then install it.

If you drive the car enough (more than 10 minutes), the alternator will recharge a battery. If the alternator didn't charge a battery, your battery would be dead after starting the car 15 times

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
So what voltage is consdered fully charged?

For a car battery, resting voltage for a fully charged battery is 12.65 to 12.75 depending on the type of battery. For other types of lead acid batteries (lawnmower, UPS, etc) it's higher. This assumes room temp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back