2007 nissan 350z VQHR35 engine oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready replace my engine oil with a synthetic. I'm on info over load with what type for what reason on the 350z forums. I don't race the car with the exception of a few early am bursts on the freeway to work. I live in California, so frozen winters aren't a issue. I have used Redline in my cars in the past. I have heard Mobil 1 has been changed in it's formula (for the worse)I was leaning toward Amsoil 5-30. I would really appreciate any recommendations

Is that the engine which sucks crubling cat into the intake?

Otherwise Nissans prefer a thicker oil. If you want synth, that would be Mobil 1 0w-40 or 10w-30 HIGH MILES, German Syntec 0w-30, MaxLife Synth or any "Euro" 30 weight.

In reality, a good dino 10w-30 is fine too.

Motorcraft or Pennzoil.

If you burn oil look into 15w-40 for your climate. Worth a try this summer or a 5w-40 if doing synth.

Don't worry about what base an oil is made from. That concern is ancient history.

Mobil 1 5w-30 would be my LAST choice.

Originally Posted By: solarflash
I have heard Mobil 1 has been changed in it's formula (for the worse)

You hear wrong,M1 is a fine quality real synthetic oil and would perform very well in your application,spend some time here reading you'll see thats the case.

any of these would do the job excellent..

5w30HM
5w40 TDT
0w30 AFE
10w30HM

all robust and well built oil's and priced right easily found at walmart.

The newer VQ35 engines should be using the Genuine Nissan Ester Oil.

Pennzoil recommends their new Ultra 5w-30 to cover these applications.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Nissan Z's are like women who think they are way hotter then they are... You look decent, but we're going to TGIFridays, not a five star..

crackmeup2.gif

I'm getting ready replace my engine oil with a synthetic. I'm on info over load with what type for what reason on the 350z forums. I don't race the car with the exception of a few early am bursts on the freeway to work. I live in California, so frozen winters aren't a issue. I have used Redline in my cars in the past. I have heard Mobil 1 has been changed in it's formula (for the worse)I was leaning toward Amsoil 5-30. I would really appreciate any recommendations

The VQHR engine loves 5w30 and I ran PP and Amsoil on my 07 350Z and raced it at the Road Race tracks in Texas. It never burned a drop and did great. The HR is a solid engine, and does not have issues with burning oil. Some of the folks here are mis-informed in that area.

Also they like 5w30 over 10w30.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The VQ35HR does not need it. Only the 3.7L engines need the ESTER oil. I have told you in the past and telling you again, please stop spreading misinfo.

Nice car. Redline 5w30, pennzoil platinum, or syntec 0w30. Either one would work great I do prefer redline though

Originally Posted By: G35_TX

The VQ35HR does not need it. Only the 3.7L engines need the ESTER oil. I have told you in the past and telling you again, please stop spreading misinfo.

Then why does the owner's manual of my 2010 Altima with a VQ35DE state that Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended?

What about the 2009+ Maxima with the VQ35DE that also has a statement in the owner's manual stating that ester oil is recommended?

Even if the VQ35HR's manual does not specifically require the ester oil, it may be a good idea to consider using it or an equivalent since the VQ35HR also has the DLC coating on the cam followers.

Again, 2007 350Z does not need it. The HR engine is not the same engine as the Maxima of that year. The only time Nissan started recommending the Ester oils was in the G37 and 370z and since changed their manuals to all the cars showing it when they do not need it as they don't have the system the G37 or 370z has in place.

I have had every variation of the VQ engine since 1995 when it first came out. They DO NOT NEED Nissan's ESTER oil or any ESTER oil period. Sure they can recommend it, so they can make more money, but it's not needed in the other engines other than the 3.7L.

Then why does the owner's manual of my 2010 Altima with a VQ35DE state that Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended?

What about the 2009+ Maxima with the VQ35DE that also has a statement in the owner's manual stating that ester oil is recommended?

Even if the VQ35HR's manual does not specifically require the ester oil, it may be a good idea to consider using it or an equivalent since the VQ35HR also has the DLC coating on the cam followers.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
More proffit. Instead of rec ester oil just for the z and g37. Might as well rec it for all newer models

Exactly.

You can run anything in your Z and it will be happy. But the thinnest I`d go would be a 40 weight.

I have used QS QHP 5w-30 from my first oil change. I am the original owner of my '05 G35 Sedan and run a OCI of 8-10K miles. Napa Gold oil filter #1356 is the larger filter that I use over the smaller #1365 filer. This combo and OCI has worked fine for me!

Several of the La Mans teams at the 24 hour of Daytona use M1 5-30 off the shelf. Very resistant to high heat deposits. Meets the Honda HTO-06 spec for turbos.

Last edited:
Again, 2007 350Z does not need it. The HR engine is not the same engine as the Maxima of that year. The only time Nissan started recommending the Ester oils was in the G37 and 370z and since changed their manuals to all the cars showing it when they do not need it as they don't have the system the G37 or 370z has in place.

I have had every variation of the VQ engine since 1995 when it first came out. They DO NOT NEED Nissan's ESTER oil or any ESTER oil period. Sure they can recommend it, so they can make more money, but it's not needed in the other engines other than the 3.7L.

I never said the OP had to use it. I merely suggested he consider using an oil equivalent to it since that is the trend that Nissan is moving towards for their VQ35 engines.

It is correct that none of the Nissan engines need the ester oil. In fact, even in the 370z's owners manual, it merely states Genuine Nissan Ester Oil is recommended. However, the wording in the manual of the 370z is no different than the wording in my 2010 Altima's owners manual when it comes to the ester oil.

There is a lot of technical info on the internet explaining the benefits of the ester oil and why it is beneficial. A lot of people are running conventional oil in these engines without issues and who knows, those engines may turn out just fine in the end. Regardless, I just wanted to make sure the OP is aware of the ongoing Ester Oil situation, even if his engine may not be back-speced for it at this time.

solarflash, Previously had two VQ35s. Started with M1
on the first with "so-so" UOAs, not bad, just higher
wear metals and shearing than was acceptable to me.
It just wasn't a great oil/engine combination.
I started using Rotella T-Syn 5w40 with great results.
It's thin for a 40 weight. I figured if it was working
well my and other Yamaha FJRs with shared gearboxes
it would be great in my VQ35s....it it was outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back