Highest ZDDP phosphorus RACING oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Rotella Synth in my turbo track miata because oil temps are around 300*.

Now that I have an oil cooler with proper ducting I will start doing UOA's which may let me switch to 5w40 Dino Rotella because I want to run a thinner oil than the 15w40. 5-30 should work, but I don't feel like burning up expensive oil in just one track event.

I ran Superflo way back in the day in the GN. I say back in the day because I'm still running it off of the 5 year old stash. Mine is a hydraulic flat tappet with 100lb springs and a rev limit of 6,200 with normal "racing" shift points of 4,500rpm. In other words, my requirements are likely less than the OP's requirements. Still, 1,400ppm should be more than enough for even an aggressive solid cam with heavy springs.

I highly suggest Redline. Amsoil's ACD is also a great oil that meets the requirements and is priced very competitively.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: twigdog
mobil 1 motor cycle oils are around 1600 ppm zddp.

i would say a few tenths short of 1800 ... :D

Over 2000 ppm ZDDP can cause bearing damage. Lucas makes a ZDDP-only additive if you are so concerned about it. There are many other constituents of oil that relate to its anti-wear properties so don't be naive. Just pick the right weight for your pressure requirements and change the oil often!

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
Over 2000 ppm ZDDP can cause bearing damage. Lucas makes a ZDDP-only additive if you are so concerned about it. There are many other constituents of oil that relate to its anti-wear properties so don't be naive.....

Originally Posted By: JAG
It is a mistake to think that the oil with the highest ZDDP concentration provides the best wear protection. There are many other additives involved that help or hurt valvetrain antiwear performance. Also, additives interact with each other; some synergistically and others negatively (opposite of synergy).

Some guys know their stuff. I'll just throw a number out there....anything over 1200-1300 ppm Zn and P won't provide any better wear protection in this application.

Even the question is worded a bit oddly.

1% = 10,000 ppm. I think that is too much for any engine.

0.1% = 1,000 ppm.

What is the level of ZDDP you are referring to for HDEO's, 1000ppm?

2000 ppm would be 0.2%

2% = 20,000 ppm. I think that is too much for any engine.

JimPghPa

Hi,
Pablo - IMHO your comments are correct. As well, progressively higher levels of ZDDP (and etc) can actually create situations for greater wear rates!

For instance in older engine families used in German racing circles Castrol's Edge Racing 10W-60 reigns supreme

Last edited:
Hello, just thought I would jump in on this old thread.
You can have too much ZDDP. The "sweet spot" seems to be around 1500-1600 ppm. That is right where Brad Penn is, and at less than $5.00 a qt.

I know a few guys that race very expensive shelby racing cars and they use Mobil 1 racing oil. We are talking about $500K plus cars and I know they have not had any issues with their engines.

If you want to could also add a bottle of ZDDPlus for aditional Zinc/Phos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back