Trane XL90 - failing ignition control unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just given a $790 estimate to repair a 22 year old Trane 90% efficient furnace (I'm not sure if it is an XL90 or an XE90).

The Fenwal ignition control is failing. However, I was told because of the age of the furnace, that a "conversion kit" would need to be installed along with the new ignition control.

The kit is a "KIT 9163", and supposedly costs $571, with 2 hours labor (at $80 an hour) to install it. The kit includes a new control board, igniter, and flame detector.

However, I see online that "KIT 9163" can be had for between $250-$350. I'm OK with a 30% markup on parts, but $571 seems to be a little much.

Of course, the other option is to replace it, and this vendor installs Lennox furnaces. I'm going to let them give me an estimate on a new 100,000 BTU 92% efficient unit installed.

Yay. I just LOVE decisions like these.

NEW 95% 70 K 2 STAGE FURNACE IN THE BOX - $875 (WATERFORD)
Date: 2010-03-02, 9:09AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

BRAND NEW LIFE TIME WARANTY ON HEAT EXCHANGER . 10 YEAR WARANTY ON ALL PARTS WE TAKE CREDIT CARDS CALL GREG 248 821 5544 OR COME TO OUR SHOP 3790 ELIZABETH LAKE ROAD WATERFORD 48328 $875.00 CASH OUT THE DOOR OR WE CAN INSTALL FOR YOU THANKS

Call my buddy greg in Michigan. He sells used parts(might have your part) and can walk you through the repairs too. Very knowledgeable and helpful. he ships parts too. At least it is a start. He will also tell you if your repair guy is lying to you.

If you go with at least 95%, the government will give you 30%/$1500 back.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
If you go with at least 95%, the government will give you 30%/$1500 back.

The building is owned by a 501(c)(3), which is non-profit organization.

I wonder if that rebate would apply to non-profits as well.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Call my buddy greg in Michigan. He sells used parts(might have your part) and can walk you through the repairs too. Very knowledgeable and helpful. he ships parts too. At least it is a start. He will also tell you if your repair guy is lying to you.

I never thought about finding a used ignition control. That way I could install it myself without having to change anything out. Plus, I might get a few more years out of this furnace.

Basically, I paid $60 for a service call to learn what was wrong with it. I don't have any problem with using that knowledge to fix it myself. I paid for that information.

I'll be in the building tomorrow. I'll get the exact numbers off of the ignition control while I'm there.

I do that a lot on various repairs. Just find a scrap unit that has your part still working . swap the whole assembly and you're done. Probably for $50 . vacuums, furnaces, cars, computers, and almost anything mechanical. I repair and sell stuff that way.

I took the part number off of the ignition control, it is a Fenwal brand, catalog #05-246266-203.

Of course, it appears that this part is obsolete. The problem is, I have two other matching Trane XL90 units in the same building. I wonder how much longer the ignition control will last on the other two units.

Thankfully, the worst of winter is behind us, and I can take a week or so to figure this out.

You can swap in a Honeywell or a White-Rodgers control board in place of the Fenwal - and more than likely the new Trane part may very well be a W-R part. We have an American Standard Freedom 80 in a rental condo - same thing as the Trane XL80 and both the control board and gas control were White-Rodgers parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back