Mobil 1 5w-30, 3009 miles, 2006 Pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is my first UOA ever so bear with me if I make any mistakes.

This oil was from my 2006 Pontiac GTO with the LS2 6.0 liter engine. The oil has been in my car for 6 months, in which time I have put a little over 3000 miles on it. The oil filter I am using is a Wix filter and the oil is Mobil 1 5w-30, just the regular stuff, not the Extended or anything.

My driving is a mix of some (infrequent) 200 mile road trips, a lot of city driving, a fair amount of just moving the car around in the driveway, and some spirited weekend driving.

I wasn't sure what to expect, I only have 19,000 miles on it and this was its 4th oil change.

D98047.jpg

Does this car have an Oil Life Monitor (OLM)? GM is good with their OLMs.

Does this car use Mobil 1 as the factory fill ? If not, then your OLM would be based on dino oil and conservative for synthetic oil.

Corvette LS6's use Mobil 1 as the factory fill and have an OLM. They can run up to 15,000 miles before an oil change (usually much shorter).

Engine does look good.

My 1998 C5 (Corvette) goes about 6000 miles on the OLM. BUT they increased the OLM from 10,000 to 15,000 miles maximum due to many UOAs. So, they would have me change at about 9,000 miles. My personal UOAs show them to be correct. I still change at 0% on OLM, to reset at 50% to zero is too confusing for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Does this car use Mobil 1 as the factory fill ? If not, then your OLM would be based on dino oil and conservative for synthetic oil.

Corvette LS6's use Mobil 1 as the factory fill and have an OLM. They can run up to 15,000 miles before an oil change (usually much shorter).

Engine does look good.

My 1998 C5 (Corvette) goes about 6000 miles on the OLM. BUT they increased the OLM from 10,000 to 15,000 miles maximum due to many UOAs. So, they would have me change at about 9,000 miles. My personal UOAs show them to be correct. I still change at 0% on OLM, to reset at 50% to zero is too confusing for me.

Mobil 1 is factory fill on all LS2's I believe.

I don't have an OLM though, it just pops up every x miles (I don't remember how many) and says Service Engine Oil or something along those lines.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Engine does look good.

Mobil 1 is factory fill on all LS2's I believe.

I don't have an OLM though, it just pops up every x miles (I don't remember how many) and says Service Engine Oil or something along those lines.

That means you have an OLM, it just doesn't display what % it is currently at. My 2001 Chevy Impala is like that. You do have to reset your oil life every time you change oil. I can't imagine this popped up at 3009 miles?!

Last edited:
No, nothing popped up. When it comes up I just cancel it since I drive the car so irregularly it's easier to just change it after x time elapses than x miles.

Ex-05 Goat owner....

The Ls2 is actually quite easy on oil if you are easy on the gas pedal itself.

Mine saw everything from GC to RP. Unless you are running some serious power (nitrous, serious cam, etc...) a quality 4718M spec oil should handle 5000 mile OCI changes No problem. forget the 3000 mile stuff and save a few $$$.

Don't mean to bring back up my old UOA, but was just wondering.

This car does not have a magnetic oil drain plug. What impact, if any, does this have on the iron levels in a UOA?

Anyone?

I searched for a while but didn't find any conclusive evidence one way or another in previous threads...

Something is etching Cu. I would discount UA for copper as being "normal" since its most likely 90% M1 5w-30. A better balanced package should show less Cu.

Last edited:
I reckon all that trash in there at 20k miles is because it's a LSx still breaking in. Little early to tell much about wear. I guess something good you can see from this is how well it holds TBN... BUT I think it was ran way too short. Just put the mileage on the notepad in your phone or something, or take a pic of your odometer reading, and you will always have on you what mileage you last changed your oil. I just type it in the notepad on my phone, it's the only thing I can halfway keep up with, lol.

I'm also still curious as to whether a magnetic drain plug would change the iron reading at all. The car does not have one and in my mind sub-micron iron particles could still be attracted to the plug (if it were magnetic) and go right through the filter.

Any thoughts?

And yes, I don't run the oil long enough. I enjoy my time changing the oil on it though, gives me an excuse to be under it, wipe everything down, check everything out. My annual mileage is low enough that the expense doesn't show up. Current fill is PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back