RedLine 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
E04730_2.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent oil...but way overpriced.

I don't know what vehicle you'll be using Redline, but its my contention that 97% of all vehicles out there, don't need this overpriced oil.

Save some dollars next time and use one of these:
Valvoline SynPower
Pennzoil Synthetics (Ultra?)
and several other full synthetics

And don't forget a good upper tier filter like a Purolator PureOne or Bosch Premium (PureOne clone).

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I don't know what vehicle you'll be using Redline, but its my contention that 97% of all vehicles out there, don't need this overpriced oil.

Valvoline SynPower

And don't forget a good upper tier filter like a Purolator PureOne or Bosch Premium (PureOne clone).

The OP just posted up this info for anyone thats interested in maybe trying this oil,and to gain a better understanding of the additives in it,thats why we have this section and is called Virgin Oil Analysis.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Valvoline SynPower

The OP just posted up this info for anyone thats interested in maybe trying this oil,and to gain a better understanding of the additives in it,thats why we have this section and is called Virgin Oil Analysis.
Good point

Last edited:

Valvoline SynPower

It is not at all overpriced for what you get, it is a great oil.

To the OP, thanks for posting this.

Valvoline SynPower
and several other full synthetic

Why do you care so much about what OP spends his money on? It's not your money. Do you think his car is overpriced too?

What about his house? Maybe there is one just down the street that is not overpriced and he should have looked at that instead?

Back on topic. Interesting there is no tin this time.

Zinc seems a bit high?

I don't care what he spends his money on, I'm just giving MY opinion.

I mean, lets face it....will that vehicle last any longer if you put $60 of oil in it or $30 each time you change the oil???

Its a mind game and expensive oil is like a plecebo...it makes you think your getting value when the fact is that your vehicle will run and last just as well and long, with a quality mass market synthetic oil (Valvoline, Pennsoil, QS etc.)

I mean, lets face it....will that vehicle last any longer if you put $60 of oil in it or $30 each time you change the oil???

In my personal experience, yes it does last longer. I have had saab turbos that lived their entire life on redline and were mechanically within factory specs at 318k miles. I would say that many high end synthetics such as amsoil etc. are well worth the cost.

Here is an anectdote from Barkerman as another example:

"Red Line is a good daily driver oil and it just might make your engine last longer. We have several 300k+ cars around here that use nothing but Red Line and it's not that they are over 300k but that they are over 300k with no internal mechanical work and to a boroscope look like new inside. I know a few examples don't prove a point but they are a good indicator. One fellow delivers some kind of radio-active isotopes with his 78 Toyota pickup and has 510k miles on Red Line with nothing more than regular maintenance and about 4 water pumps. He also uses Frantz oil and fuel filters and a spin-on coolant filter with an anode. He is on the original camshaft and valves. I've done a compression check and it's withing 5% of new specs and the spread from high to low is 8psi. You can still see the hone marks at the bottom of the cylinders and there is only a cosmetic ridge at the top of the cylinders. Granted this series of Toyota 4 bangers is considered to be a good engine I think that Red Line is performing well. He started with Castrol 10w-30 with the new truck and a few years later after hanging around our shop switched to Red Line 10-30 and has graduated up to 20w-50 a couple of years ago. His oil consumption is 1 quart in 5k miles. Granted he is a careful driver because of his cargo and LA has no weather but I think he is doing well. He recently dropped a bundle in rebuilding the suspension front and back, complete brake job and replaced all the flexible brake lines, master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and new calipers, including his second tranny rebuild for bearings and seals, no other hard parts also using Red Line MTL. He also had the seals replaced in the rear end and uses Red Line gear lube and uses that red colored Red Line CV2 grease in the grease fittings (yes it has fittings you grease with a hand gun). All this was his answer to the question of buying a new pickup or keeping the old one. I think it can be said that he likes the old one. The company he works for footed the bill for a complete repaint and upholstery job. We talked Yokohama into making him a screaming deal on some new Avid TRZ's. His only problem is that we can expect a letter from Congress about his disregard for the economy by not just junking his pickup and buying a new one. He is hoping that the new sound system including a CD player for his books on CD will be useful in his defense. But to those that think Red Line is only good for racing we think it performs well for commuting but is an expensive choice. Sorry for running on I just though this is an unusual case and you might be interested."

Originally Posted By: saaber1

In my personal experience, yes it does last longer. I have had saab turbos that lived their entire life on redline and were mechanically within factory specs at 318k miles. I would say that many high end synthetics such as amsoil etc. are well worth the cost.

Here is an anectdote from Barkerman as another example:

"Red Line is a good daily driver oil and it just might make your engine last longer. We have several 300k+ cars around here that use nothing but Red Line and it's not that they are over 300k but that they are over 300k with no internal mechanical work and to a boroscope look like new inside. I know a few examples don't prove a point but they are a good indicator. One fellow delivers some kind of radio-active isotopes with his 78 Toyota pickup and has 510k miles on Red Line with nothing more than regular maintenance and about 4 water pumps. He also uses Frantz oil and fuel filters and a spin-on coolant filter with an anode. He is on the original camshaft and valves. I've done a compression check and it's withing 5% of new specs and the spread from high to low is 8psi. You can still see the hone marks at the bottom of the cylinders and there is only a cosmetic ridge at the top of the cylinders. Granted this series of Toyota 4 bangers is considered to be a good engine I think that Red Line is performing well. He started with Castrol 10w-30 with the new truck and a few years later after hanging around our shop switched to Red Line 10-30 and has graduated up to 20w-50 a couple of years ago. His oil consumption is 1 quart in 5k miles. Granted he is a careful driver because of his cargo and LA has no weather but I think he is doing well. He recently dropped a bundle in rebuilding the suspension front and back, complete brake job and replaced all the flexible brake lines, master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders and new calipers, including his second tranny rebuild for bearings and seals, no other hard parts also using Red Line MTL. He also had the seals replaced in the rear end and uses Red Line gear lube and uses that red colored Red Line CV2 grease in the grease fittings (yes it has fittings you grease with a hand gun). All this was his answer to the question of buying a new pickup or keeping the old one. I think it can be said that he likes the old one. The company he works for footed the bill for a complete repaint and upholstery job. We talked Yokohama into making him a screaming deal on some new Avid TRZ's. His only problem is that we can expect a letter from Congress about his disregard for the economy by not just junking his pickup and buying a new one. He is hoping that the new sound system including a CD player for his books on CD will be useful in his defense. But to those that think Red Line is only good for racing we think it performs well for commuting but is an expensive choice. Sorry for running on I just though this is an unusual case and you might be interested."

I'm sure there are many out there that have over 300K on their vehicles...and used only dino with regular oil changes and Fram filters.

The key word is 'proof', not personal experience, because many use various oil products and their 'personal experience' shows that their oil is as good as the rest.

In the Barkerman quote the key word is 'might' last longer...not 'will' last longer.

I glad you think that this oil is so superior..because I've heard that Saab's are garage queens...so anything that can improve that reputation has to be useful. In the meantime, I'll enjoy saving $$$ and having fun useing it in more benificial ways.

Maybe a good dino oil would prove as good for longevity as a true synthetic but I'm doubtful. The primarily goal of using RL was the hope that the oil would stay within grade and retain sufficient buffering TBN values for extended distances (~15k miles). Test would need to be performed with group ii or iii oils with this car to evaluate long drain viability. Since I admit a negative opinionated bias towards dino oils ability for extended drain intervals and as I have data that confirms RL is performing adequately for long durations, I likely won't bother testing any other oils but stay with RL, even though, admittedly, cost is substantially higher then any of the dino brews.

Doug

I glad you think that this oil is so superior..because I've heard that Saab's are garage queens...so anything that can improve that reputation has to be useful. In the meantime, I'll enjoy saving $$$ and having fun useing it in more benificial ways.

You're an idiot. Arguing with you is not worth the time. I'm done with this thread.

back on Topic, great analysis and yes redline is one of the very best products you can get. Not to mention stand up guys run the joint that are happy to answere question

Thank for taking the time to post this and spending money to have it looked at

I'm not a dino fan either....the fact is I use a good Syn that I feel works well with my vehicle and do OCI's that are reasonable for my oil and filter.

I think the question is ... if your paying twice or even three times the cost of a good Syn or Blend...are you getting double or triple the protection...I doubt it! So thats enough evidence that your wasteing money on these high priced, so-called superior oils (Amzoil, RL etc.) and filters.

Its the placebo effect...makes you feel good even if its not really helping... But as long as you 'feel' good and it works for you, you have permission to waste all the $$$ you want.

End of story...I won't comment any further.
Redline SL-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner (**I do use one Redline Product)

Last edited:
Oregoonian,

This is Bob is the Oil Guy! We all have a great interest in lubricants (or at least much more so than the average individual)or we wouldn't be here. Other than the interest we share in common we all have different wants or "needs". Some are interested in spending as as little as possible to "get the job done" and others seek perfection or have other interests that justify higher costs or efforts. If a poster is happy with the performance of a higher priced product it is certainly his right to use it.

We are all here for entertainment and/or to learn something so don't be so quick to pee on someone else's parade. You certainly have the right to your opinion but express it-don't force it on everyone else.

I for one LIVE to "waste" money on oils and oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back