How to remove windshield adhesive from skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

made a bit of a mess of my hands with some windshield adhesive.

I was a bone head and left it for a while, while I finished my work.

Have any of you successfully gotten it off your skin with anything? Man, I tried paint thinner, Laqueer thinner, Gas, hand cleaners, even a little paint stripper. lol. Some helped, but I still look like a freak.

Thanks,

Ryan

You try acetone? Fingernail polish remover maybe? Brake parts cleaner? Comet on a SOS pad? Just throwing stuff out here....

Seems you have tried just about everything.

Just be sure to apply a good lotion to your hands afterwards.

I assume you mean the adhesive that hjolds the mirror to the windshield. This is cyanoacrylate and it bonds with kin. That is why it is used to close wounds (medical grade). Just let it wear off. As your skin cells naturally die and slough off, the adhesive will go with them. You expose yourself to unnecessary chemicals by using solvents.

If you are talking about the adhesive that holds the windshield to the car, this is usually a curable urethane and will also bond tightl to the skin. Same thought process applies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer

If you are talking about the adhesive that holds the windshield to the car, this is usually a curable urethane and will also bond tightl to the skin. Same thought process applies.

I have worked with urethane wood glue and found that the orange based household cleaners work fairly well for removal.

I've found that for most obnoxious adhesives like pvc pipe glue and expanding spray foam, if I ignore it for a day or two it comes off a lot easier. Your skin is constantly shedding dead cells, so if you give it a couple days the cells it bonded to won't be bonded to you so well anymore.

Thanks guys,

I'll give it a few days and try again.

Yeah I started thinking I'd like to take a break from the chemicals. Less is definetely more.

For now, I can still freak my wife out with my mutant hands.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Point your hand north, then south.

[then wait two-three weeks]

I promise the glue will be gone.

haha, hey it worked!!! and only after 4 days.

This is the only method that works. I'll recommend it to anyone. lol

You have to polarize it first. Just waiting a few weeks won't do it by itself
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back