Ok to only drive a car every 2 or 3 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting married and moving closer to work, so I'll be able to use public transportation. So, most likely, I wont drive my car at all during the week. And, since she has a nicer car, we'll probably drive it on most weekends. Both cars are paid off, so it's not like it'll cost much to keep mine around. When I do drive it, which will be every 2 or three weeks , it'll be ~100mi round trip back to our home town.

Is there anything to worry about when a car sits like that, and only gets occasional usage?

No worries at all, I did it for about the first 19 years of my 88 E-150's life, it's still running strong. The only suggestion I would make is to add either TCW3 or MMO to the gas. The ratio for TCW3 is 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas, MMO is 2 onces/5 gallons of gas. Before each oil change run a good fuel system cleaner in the gas. Red Line or Techron would be my choice. HTH

I would worry about animals trying to make a home in the engine bay more than anything mechanical.

I did that several winters with my beater pickup truck. Only drove it to the town dump (we get no curbside collection here) and since it was so cold I stashed the trash on the porch and it didn't smell!!

Only funny thing was I still had summer gas in it mid-winter and had to feather the throttle a little when starting. Went 18 months and two winters on one oil change... rust getting it at the end.

Vehicles don't GAIN value so if you don't need it, SELL it sooner than lower later. Plus you'll save on reg fees, insurance (which I HATE that they don't give you a MAJOR discount since you are not driving it very much...)

Engines are meant to be operated. (I should talk since I've put on 3,000 miles since Aug with my truck) But if you don't need it, I'd think about selling it. Paid off or not.

Take care, Bill

PS: Congrads on the marriage! Hope you are happy and everything lasts forever...
thumbsup2.gif

my Corvettes sit for weeks on end without being driven due to either my work schedule or snow. No probs whatsoever. Don't think twicve about it

Steve

First, congratulations on getting married.

I think you'll be OK. I have a van that gets 900 mi/yr and does just fine. Just try not to let the gasoline get too stale.

Be sure to see if your insurance company will give you a lower rate. My insurance rate on the van is ridiculously low--something like $80 per year for $300,000 liability.

I'd consider a fuel stabilizer but even that is probably not necessary. I agree with Bill but it depends on the cars current worth and if it will really depreciate that much more. If it is an old beater then it might not be able to depreciate any more or at least an insignificant amount. If it is a nicer car that will lose a few thousand $ over the next couple of years I'd probably sell it. It is a luxury you don't need so only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Talk to your insurance agent, some will let you change your insurance regularly to save money. I had a car once I only used on occasion. I would just call them when I took it out of storage and they would add the rest of my coverage when needed.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The car is a 2005 civic with 165k mi on the clock. Probably not going to depreciate a whole lot. Then there is the convenience factor of actually having the car. If I need it, it's there. So, I probably won't get rid of it.

How would I go about preventing animals from making it their home? Mothballs? Rat poison? One of those silent to humans, high pitch noise thingies?

Bill: Thanks for the encouragement! She really is amazing.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
I'm getting married and moving closer to work, so I'll be able to use public transportation. So, most likely, I wont drive my car at all during the week. And, since she has a nicer car, we'll probably drive it on most weekends. Both cars are paid off, so it's not like it'll cost much to keep mine around. When I do drive it, which will be every 2 or three weeks , it'll be ~100mi round trip back to our home town.

Is there anything to worry about when a car sits like that, and only gets occasional usage?

I'm in the same boat except I'm already married. I work at home. During the week, I don't drive my 96 sunfire. When I do go out on the weekend, I take the 06 Vibe. My 96 sunfire hasn't been driven in 10 days. I need the car though when I go visit my folks in Memphis. I say drive the car at least every two weeks to keep the battery fresh and keep the gas tank full. I've been doing that for the past 5 months, it's been doing fine.

Hardware screen (3/8" holes) over the air intake is very helpful. They love getting in under the air filter.

Not much you can do to keep them from chewing the wire insulation, maybe some of that bitter spray stuff meant for cats.

Keep it since it has high miles and not worth much.
Its a Civic and will easily last another 10 years no problem if you have taken care of it.

What happens if you situation changes and you sell it, then need a car ?
21.gif

i have two cars that i alternative every other week. When the car is being used, it sees roughly 400 a week. Then it sits for a week when not being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back