S T P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in the 1970's, not since then. It clearly made oil thicker, which was the mentality then. From what I understand, the STP Red Bottle 4 cyl treatment is the better of their two oil treatments. There might be some VOA's on it in the VOA section. HTH

STP used to have more additives than today [like ZDDP].
It is severely castrated now.
It is basically just a thickener for you oil now.

I like motor medic for that purpose - much much better than Lucas goop. Say you change oil and it seems too thin for the summer, you can ad a couple oz ( not the whole bottle) and save the fill. Medic has zddp. Dont get Barhdahl - tried that, it was junk!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

really? the couple bottles i have advertise right on the front label about how they have more ZDDP then any of their competitors.

i use the stuff in my 81 fairmont in the winter time with 10w30 oil. no need for it in the summer with 15w40.

My Dad used to use STP in everything. He used to by it by the gallons. I remember him putting the can on top of the motor and driving around to heat it up just so it would pour in and he would claim you had to dump it in while the motor was running so it would mix. He used to put it in rearend grease too. He would dump a whole gallon into the big truck engines every oil change. They held 9 gallon, but one gallon was STP. Never had any trouble and ran all his Buicks for a 100,000 miles(thats when they rusted out and wouldnt pass inspection. He swore by the stuff, but it didnt rub off on me. I never used it for anything but a assembly lube.

Sounds alot like my dad. He put the stuff in his 86 Nova all the time - including in the PSF. For 20 years that car ran like a top - go figure.

Back when I was in high school in the late '60's, most us guys drove old clunkers with well-worn engines. A lot of us, myself included, would add a can of STP at every oil change. I don't know if it really helped anything or not, but with Andy Granatelli endorsing it, we teenagers thought we were turning our cars into Indy material just with that can of STP!

In later years in working in the electric power industry, I found factory engineers would "paint" STP onto the bearing journals of steam turbines when reassembling them after an overhaul. The STP supposedly provided better initial lubrication on startup after an overhaul.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

really? the couple bottles i have advertise right on the front label about how they have more ZDDP then any of their competitors.

i use the stuff in my 81 fairmont in the winter time with 10w30 oil. no need for it in the summer with 15w40.

I've uesd it in my youth, who hasn't.
I once asked STP the effect on the viscosity of a typical 10W-30 in adding a can to a 4 quart sump (5%). He said it would be like a 15W-50.

Had a 52 dodge truck,in High School, we just used plain 30 wgt, and many more cars and one f100 ford truck. Now I'm 63, might have used STP once or twice, nothing to speak of. In fact oil and it wgts were never a big topic growing up, till about 1967 and for some reason I got interested a little. MY friends in the Navy in Florida used Havoline mostly. I got into expediting a few years ago and now oil types is a big deal. Well better late then never, but doing the family thing for years, oil was not that important, just so the engines ran, was ok for me, but thats all changed now.

My Dad use to use it as assembly lube too. He would pour a can over the cam and lifters.

I know someone that poured a can into a slipping Powerglide ('61 Biscayne). Drove it for years afterwards.

I've used it as a lube for replacing cams as well. Cut with MMO it makes a nice cutting oil for trimming brass cases for reloading ammo.

I ask a buddy of mine about STP, His dad used stp oil and the additive for 10 years , 30 wgt only on a car he drove to work( 15 miles one way). Never a problem, go figure, and he change it only every 6 months,,what do we know.

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with STP. It does exactly what it says it does - helps maintain the viscosity of an oil.

'Most' dino 5W-30/10W-30's will shear down slightly to about 8.8-9.2cst. Technically, that means they are no longer a 30-weight, but a high 20-weight.

Add a bottle of STP to the sump, and the oil thickens slightly, so at the end of the run the oil probably closer to 10.0-10.5cst, or in the 30-weight range, where it 'should' be.

I really don't see the issue - it helps the oil be the grade it is supposed to be at the end of an OCI. That is what it has always promised to do and always done.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with STP. It does exactly what it says it does - helps maintain the viscosity of an oil.

'Most' dino 5W-30/10W-30's will shear down slightly to about 8.8-9.2cst. Technically, that means they are no longer a 30-weight, but a high 20-weight.

Add a bottle of STP to the sump, and the oil thickens slightly, so at the end of the run the oil probably closer to 10.0-10.5cst, or in the 30-weight range, where it 'should' be.

I really don't see the issue - it helps the oil be the grade it is supposed to be at the end of an OCI. That is what it has always promised to do and always done.

IIRC back in the late 1960's and early 70's STP was marketed as protecting an engine during cold morning starts. It did this by helping the oil coat internal engine parts, so they would never be without oil during starts. I have the old Hot Rod Magazines that might have those old ads. They are tucked away in the attic. That is/was the #1 selling oil treatment of all time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: addyguy

IIRC back in the late 1960's and early 70's STP was marketed as protecting an engine during cold morning starts. It did this by helping the oil coat internal engine parts, so they would never be without oil during starts. I have the old Hot Rod Magazines that might have those old ads. They are tucked away in the attic. That is/was the #1 selling oil treatment of all time.

If you go to 'Google books', you can look up old issues of 'Popular Science' and 'Popular Mechanics' - lots of old STP ads in those!

Back in the day, 20W50 GTX or XLD with a can of STP was standard fare for any one with a worked 6 or 8.

Used it for assembly lube also.

Only things I've used it for recently are case resizing when I get a load of range brass, and "dry" turning 60 tonne turbine shafts when jacking oil isn't available (although Lucas does just as good a job without zinc that might upset the bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back